Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:12:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 112
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 878028 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #100 on: February 26, 2022, 02:22:27 AM »

<tweet snip>
By some miracle, there were no casualties from this. But so much for Russia making an effort to avoid citizen casualties, "brother peoples" and all that.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2022, 10:07:13 AM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 10:28:30 AM by Storr »

Russian born (he now has dual Russian/American citizenship) National Hockey League star Alexander Ovetchkin, who's already one of the greatest of all time and has always publicly shown support for Putin said "Please, no more war" last night.

""Well, he's my president. But, how I said, I'm not in politics. I'm an athlete," Ochevkin replied. "How I said, hope everything's going to be done soon. It's a hard situation right now for both sides. Everything, like how I said, everything I hope is going to be end, and I'm not in control of situation.""

""Please, no more war," he urged. "Doesn't matter who's in the war. Russia. Ukraine. Different countries. I think we live in a world like we have to live in peace and a great world.""

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/25/sport/ovechkin-nhl-war/index.html
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2022, 10:29:53 AM »

Vive la France.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2022, 10:44:39 AM »

I assume that if Putin is insane enough to invade Poland, it would drag all of NATO into this?
yes, of course
I feel what's more likely is an invasion of Western Ukraine from the north. Brest is the closest large Belarussian city to the Ukranian-Belarussian border in the west.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2022, 10:59:52 AM »

Turkey says it hasn't.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2022, 11:30:25 AM »

Might be a ridiculous question, though it just crossed my mind whether there's any possibility that Mr. Putin will be indicted before the Den Haag International Criminal Court? Or whether it's somehow possible that an international arrest warrant for war crimes is issued? So he couldn't leave Russia or enter any country that would enforce such?
I could only see that happening if there are significant human rights violations occurring (like those in Yugoslavia, aka actual genocide or organized attacks on civilians). So far, not much of the campaign seems any worse when it comes to war crimes than the US invasion of Iraq. And Bush was never charged by the Hauge. Putin has an objective and is using his military to achieve it. From videos coming out of places overtaken by Russian forces, they seem to be trying to go out of their way not to retaliate against civilians (the video of the Ukrainian babushka berating what looked to be Russian Spetsnaz north of Crimea and the soldiers simply not reacting at all, comes to mind).
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2022, 11:58:53 AM »

He probably got lost or something but this is very embarrassing.

Tweet and documents say his name is Leonid Petrovich Shchetkin, born 1987. An analysis of Russian ground forces from March 2018 I found says the 35th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade is a "combat unit" based out of Aleisk, Altai Krai, part of the 41st Combined Arms Army of the Central Military District, Novosibirsk (so it makes sense it would be one of the first units sent into war).

https://www.understandingwar.org/sites/default/files/Russian%20Ground%20Forces%20OOB_ISW%20CTP_0.pdf

I also found a post on a website called informnapalm.com Huh That has photos of the 35th reportedly stationed near Rostov (close to the Donetsk Oblast Ukrainian border) taken in September and October 2014.

https://informnapalm.org/en/btg-35th-motorized-rifle-brigade-russian-invasion-force/
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2022, 12:13:35 PM »

Lol.

Yes...Ha Ha Ha...Yes!
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2022, 12:33:15 PM »

Looks like the Russians have taken Melitopol and are pushing from the southeast to encircle Mariopol and roll up the Donbas front. Ukraine has stalled the Russian advance in the north but my worry is that it won't matter much if they can't stall the push from Crimea.

What especially galls me is that the Ukrainian military could have easily stalled the Russians at the bottleneck north of Crimea too.  It wouldn't have taken many troops either.  

Not really. Open ground, perfect for airstrikes and artillery bombardment and close to Russian bases. Ukrainian forces have been effective in stopping the Russians in urban areas (like Kherson), but standing and fighting in open countryside would be suicide.

Looks like the Russians have taken Melitopol and are pushing from the southeast to encircle Mariopol and roll up the Donbas front. Ukraine has stalled the Russian advance in the north but my worry is that it won't matter much if they can't stall the push from Crimea.

Do the Russians have more competent commanding officers in the south or is it more of a matter of where Ukraine's defenses are concentrated?

Not sure. Open terrain probably the biggest factor. Melitopol the only major city between Crimea and the east of the country.
Yeah, just looking at this topographic map of Ukraine you can see how the area between the Dnieper and Crimea is very flat and open, even by Ukrainian standards:
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2022, 12:43:51 PM »

What especially galls me is that the Ukrainian military could have easily stalled the Russians at the bottleneck north of Crimea too.  It wouldn't have taken many troops either.  

Not really. Open ground, perfect for airstrikes and artillery bombardment and close to Russian bases. Ukrainian forces have been effective in stopping the Russians in urban areas (like Kherson), but standing and fighting in open countryside would be suicide.

Do the Russians have more competent commanding officers in the south or is it more of a matter of where Ukraine's defenses are concentrated?

Not sure. Open terrain probably the biggest factor. Melitopol the only major city between Crimea and the east of the country.
Yeah, just looking at this topographic map of Ukraine you can see how the area between the Dnieper and Crimea is very flat and open, even by Ukrainian standards:

Yes, I embarrassed myself.  That's my fault for casually looking at a map without also checking its topography.  Tongue

You're absolutely fine. I didn't realize just how flat it was until I just looked up a topo map of Ukraine (wikipedia ftw). I've been using google maps too keep track of all the reports of stuff going on, which doesn't give a great feel for topography.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2022, 12:47:46 PM »

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2022, 01:10:49 PM »

They abandoned a fully loaded Grad battery??

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2022, 01:22:22 PM »

Locals don't seem very happy to see Russian tanks rolling through their town:
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2022, 01:30:57 PM »

I'm not wanting to flood the thread, but I'll share this since it's incredibly based:
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2022, 02:17:46 PM »

Based
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2022, 02:36:34 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 02:43:11 PM by Storr »

A glimpse of what the Kremlin is reporting to the Russian people:

Edit: I watched a documentary on the first Chechen War last night, and it's been a worry for me the past few days that stiff Ukrainian resistance will convince the military that they have to go "all in" and pull a Grozny. Fortunately, (so far anyway) the Russians generally seem to be consciously avoiding using Chechnya like levels of force.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2022, 02:44:27 PM »

Already today there was a report that Ukrainian soldiers had killed a whole bunch of Chechens. Not surprising as Kadyrov’s thugs are more of a glorified police force than an army, so they should be no match for the Ukrainians.

RIP HP
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2022, 02:54:33 PM »

If accurate, it seems like the Russians severely underestimated how many troops would be needed to successfully complete whatever the objectives of the "special military operation" are. This falls in line with the reported deployment of more Chechens and the odd Russian request for Kazakhstan to deploy troops to Ukraine.

At the beginning of the thread, it's claimed this came from a "senior US defense official".

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2022, 03:18:01 PM »

This would seem to be an attempt to get through to the Russian people that their sons and husbbands are the ones paying the price of this war. Of the documents claimed to be of those captured/killed, most were been born in the 70s and 80s. I'd guess that would be due to career pilots and soldiers which, would have the most experience, being sent in first (??).

The youngest was born on April 19, 1998. Another reminder of who suffers the most in war, the young.

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1497654058072649738?s=20&t=Rgk1tpBmQys7J2gnMHWAnw
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2022, 03:42:25 PM »

I'd like to imagine all they had to tell the Russians was "we don't have any fuel".

(It sounds like more heated language was used than that, though.)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2022, 03:54:35 PM »

A welcome sign set up for the Russians by a Ukrainian babushka:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2022, 04:02:18 PM »

Idk how accurate this is

Almost need a meme for the Virgin Putin at this point.
There's the Classic Virgin Putin v. Chad Stalin meme:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2022, 04:22:06 PM »

Take this with a beach pail of salt, as coercing (or worse) POWs to say things for propaganda purposes has been around since the moving image became a thing:

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2022, 04:46:43 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2022, 04:52:28 PM by Storr »

We should sanction the hell out of Belarus too and fund a potential coop there

Doesn't Belarus still have farmer cooperatives from the old Soviet days?
Wouldn't surprise me.
Lukashenka has long tried to maintain stability relative to the Soviet status quo.
Speaking of Belarus, one drunk Belarusian soldier (accidentally?) walked into Ukraine.

Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2022, 04:53:45 PM »

We should sanction the hell out of Belarus too and fund a potential coop there

Doesn't Belarus still have farmer cooperatives from the old Soviet days?
Wouldn't surprise me.
Lukashenka has long tried to maintain stability relative to the Soviet status quo.
Speaking of Belarus, one drunk Belarusian soldier (accidentally?) walked into Ukraine.

<tweet snip>
Someone had too much vodka...
Evidently Putin is (likely?) planning to bring the Belarusian military into the war. Presumably its forces would be used for an attack on western Ukraine from Belarus. I can't imagine Belarusian morale is all that great currently. I'd get drunk too, to be honest.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 112  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies