Opinion of the idea of a progressive corporate tax?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 11:53:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the idea of a progressive corporate tax?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do you think of the idea of a progressive corporate tax?
Freedom Idea

Horrible Idea

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Opinion of the idea of a progressive corporate tax?  (Read 534 times)
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 07, 2021, 06:26:27 PM »

By this, I mean that small businesses pay less in taxes than big businesses
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 07:36:15 PM »

Obvious freedom idea is obvious.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 10:08:00 PM »

How progressive?  What is the cutoff for “small business”?  You know there are tiny entities that are corporations, right?

Given the OP’s previous “populist” opinions, I’ll assume whatever he’d support would be absolutely unproductive for the economy and therefore hurt more people than it’d help.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2021, 06:38:34 PM »

How progressive?  What is the cutoff for “small business”?  You know there are tiny entities that are corporations, right?

Given the OP’s previous “populist” opinions, I’ll assume whatever he’d support would be absolutely unproductive for the economy and therefore hurt more people than it’d help.
Businesses with 100 or fewer employees: 10%
Businesses with over 100 employees: 30%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2021, 07:51:50 PM »

How progressive?  What is the cutoff for “small business”?  You know there are tiny entities that are corporations, right?

Wait you would have a number of employees decide what the rate should be rather than Taxable Income if you created a progressive tax structure for corporations . I’m sorry but that doesn’t really make much sense at all .

CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2021, 10:55:13 PM »

no. taxing income or consumption in any form instead of economic rents is evil, end of discussion.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2021, 11:50:14 PM »

No, that could encourage the break up of companies when it doesn't make economic sense.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2021, 12:09:48 PM »

No possible disincentive to employ more...
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 03:54:09 PM »

Not a bad idea in theory and I'd be open to having smaller businesses lower tax rates than larger corporations. At least in theory again. However, putting that into pratice is a much different and more difficult question. Especially where you "cut the line". A certain number of employees? Revenue? Overall value? If smaller firms pay a lower tax rates then larger ones will use all kinds of tricks to fall into a lower tax bracket. Especially those that just barely fall into a higher bracket. In the end, I believe this would only cause a bureaucratic mess and bind tons of ressources in companies and tax authorities with little to no positive effects.

Much more important is to close tax loopholes and make sure multinational corporations pay their fair share in taxes in countries they do business in.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 05:13:29 PM »

If anything, corporate taxes should be regressive, like all taxes.

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2021, 12:23:02 PM »

Unusual take for a leftist, but the corporate tax is unnecessary and inefficient. Just have a highly progressive income tax that counts capital gains as income.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2021, 12:47:03 PM »

Unusual take for a leftist, but the corporate tax is unnecessary and inefficient. Just have a highly progressive income tax that counts capital gains as income.

I've seen that take quite a bit -  but corporate profits *theoretically* serve to inflate share price and therefore capital wealth; and, capital gains are only taxed when they are realised; and wealth inequalities are both worse (and always have been) than income inequalities - and actively decrease consumption - and second hand financial asset inflation discourages new investment. In that respect I think it is important to tax wealth before it is realised and corporate taxation is a route to that.

(yes that's a lot of ands)

Also, corporations are entities independent of their owners - and as long as they don't disburse all of their income in dividends (already taxed at a lower rate to reflect coporation tax in most jurisdictions) as soon as it is earned, I think it is fair to treat them as such as far as tax is concerned.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2021, 01:02:12 PM »

I've seen that take quite a bit -  but corporate profits *theoretically* serve to inflate share price and therefore capital wealth; and, capital gains are only taxed when they are realised; and wealth inequalities are both worse (and always have been) than income inequalities - and actively decrease consumption - and second hand financial asset inflation discourages new investment. In that respect I think it is important to tax wealth before it is realised and corporate taxation is a route to that.

(yes that's a lot of ands)

Also, corporations are entities independent of their owners - and as long as they don't disburse all of their income in dividends (already taxed at a lower rate to reflect coporation tax in most jurisdictions) as soon as it is earned, I think it is fair to treat them as such as far as tax is concerned.

That's fair, and I should have mentioned that I'm also in support of a tax on excess wealth of course. That said, I still think that taxes should be levied on individuals rather than corporations. I don't think there really is a need to tax corporate profits that aren't disbursed as dividends and don't contribute to inflating the wealth of the super-rich. What that means in practice is that those profits get reinvested (which isn't really even "surplus value" as such - even employee-owned corporations will set aside some of their earnings for investment) which ultimately means they will go into 3 things: providing value for consumers, increasing wages, and of course increasing future gains for shareholders (which will be taxed as capital gains). So in the end, I do think that the combination of an income and wealth tax take care of everything.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies