Republicans are furious Seame Street's Big Bird (and now Elmo) got vaccinated.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:30:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans are furious Seame Street's Big Bird (and now Elmo) got vaccinated.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Republicans are furious Seame Street's Big Bird (and now Elmo) got vaccinated.  (Read 3890 times)
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2022, 07:36:58 PM »

Elmo has a father?  Given his annoying voice I'm surprised he wasn't given up as a baby.

Also what's the deal with Elmo Sr's voice?  Did he get that voice from the Martin Sheen School of Southern Accents?
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2022, 09:37:58 AM »

Sesame Street is produced, in part, by our tax dollars, and aired through public television.  Parents are the arbiters of their children's best interest, and this includes medical decisions.  It is not the role of the government to fund money to produce propaganda in the name of "educational television" to cause children in elementary school to believe that they should be vaccinated, and (implicitly) that their parents are "wrong" in not having them vaccinated.  That is not the role of government.  I know that the Soviet government and Nazi Germany lionized children who snitched on their parents for thoughtcrime, but this is still America, and our tax monies should not be used to undermine the status of parents as the arbiters of their children's best medical interest.

This isn't an advocacy for parents being the final arbiters in things such as genital mutilation or not providing medical treatment for inoperable cancer, but the COVID-19 vaccine being administered to a 5-11 year old is not that kind of decision.  Nor is a 5-11 year old child capable of making that sort of decision.  These sort of things are propaganda aimed at children.  That's not OK on the taxpayer's dime.  The idea that vaccinating 5-11 year old children against COVID-19 is the best course of action for such children is far from settled science at this point.

Well, "Big Bird" was at no point literally advocating for 5-11 year olds to be vaccinated. The message was that COVID vaccinations are good and necessary, which according to the scientific consensus happens to be an objective fact. There's nothing bad about teaching children the scientific consensus, unless you're advocating for the parents' "freedom" - even if they don't hold a scientific degree themselves - to decide what the scientific consensus is.

This is a thoroughly stupid take. If Big Bird and Elmo are on Sesame Street talking about how Elmo is getting a vaccine to protect himself and the community, they're advocating for the vaccine for kids. I'm not against that per se, but let's not say the sky is orange, OK?

And scientists are not high priests. I'll say that again: scientists are not high priests. If you've arrived at the conclusion that it's "necessary" for a seven-year-old to take a shot for a bug that is 99.998% survivable for them where the shot is incapable of creating herd immunity no matter how many people take it, then it's because you are treating certain scientists (key word: "certain" -- the idea that there's a "consensus" that seven-year-olds need jabbed for this bug is a lie) as high priests, instead of making your own determination of whether the shot is necessary.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2022, 09:41:56 AM »

They could take the shot just to have milder symptoms. It's not just about survivability.
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2022, 09:45:54 AM »

They could take the shot just to have milder symptoms. It's not just about survivability.

They can do whatever they want. It's objective fact that this pathogen is mild for little kids; that's my point. A national propaganda campaign to get seven-year-olds to take a "symptom reducer" for the sniffles is beyond bizarre, at least for people who still have both feet planted on planet Earth. To the extent people have an issue with what Sesame Street is doing here, that's where it's rooted.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2022, 09:48:00 AM »

They can do whatever they want. It's objective fact that this pathogen is mild for little kids; that's my point. A national propaganda campaign to get seven-year-olds to take a "symptom reducer" for the sniffles is beyond bizarre, at least for people who still have both feet planted on planet Earth. To the extent people have an issue with what Sesame Street is doing here, that's where it's rooted.

I wouldn't expect a non-parent to understand, but getting your child a vaccine (yet another one of many) that has no drawbacks and can save them from a few days of misery is a no-brainer. Not everything is a life or death decision.
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #105 on: June 30, 2022, 09:52:49 AM »

I wouldn't expect a non-parent to understand, but getting your child a vaccine (yet another one of many) that has no drawbacks and can save them from a few days of misery is a no-brainer. Not everything is a life or death decision.

Vaccinating a seven-year-old for Covid sure as s*** isn't. Which is why it's weird that there's a national propaganda campaign to get kids that age to take the shots.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #106 on: June 30, 2022, 09:57:27 AM »

Vaccinating a seven-year-old for Covid sure as s*** isn't. Which is why it's weird that there's a national propaganda campaign to get kids that age to take the shots.

I ... just told you why vaccination appeals to parents of young children. There's nothing weird about it at all.
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #107 on: June 30, 2022, 09:59:27 AM »

I ... just told you why vaccination appeals to parents of young children. There's nothing weird about it at all.

The weird part isn't that you want to give your kid the vaccine (just like it's not weird to give your kid children's Tylenol or whatever). The weird part is that there's a national propaganda campaign for it.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2022, 10:01:12 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2022, 10:04:34 AM by FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦 »

I'm just gonna ask you lakeview and other butthurt R's, why do you give a sh!t about Sesame Street promoting COVID vaccination for children? Yeah, so what if it's a spooky scary "national propaganda campaign?" Is public health campaigns against smoking and ingesting lead bad now as well?
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #109 on: June 30, 2022, 10:02:05 AM »

The weird part isn't that you want to give your kid the vaccine (just like it's not weird to give your kid children's Tylenol or whatever). The weird part is that there's a national propaganda campaign for it.

It's weird that you think the government shouldn't take advise on public health policies from health experts seriously.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #110 on: June 30, 2022, 10:03:55 AM »

Not "propaganda" and not weird. There are public health campaigns for all kinds of things.
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #111 on: June 30, 2022, 10:05:42 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2022, 10:10:27 AM by lakeview »

Not "propaganda" and not weird. There are public health campaigns for all kinds of things.

OK, so we're back to "the sky is orange." There is not a propaganda campaign to get little kids to take Covid vaccines. If that's what you believe, then okay. We disagree, and I'm not sure there's anything more to discuss here.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #112 on: June 30, 2022, 10:11:07 AM »

Republicans projecting about Democrats with a "sky is orange" mentality is hilarious.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: June 30, 2022, 11:11:13 AM »

The GOP is stupid example #1,000,000 but why is PBS still on COVID? COVID is over.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #114 on: June 30, 2022, 12:58:47 PM »

The GOP is stupid example #1,000,000 but why is PBS still on COVID? COVID is over.

The pandemic phase is over. COVID is not over. There are all kinds of non-pandemic health initiatives a government should engage in. America isn't a libertarian dystopia yet.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #115 on: June 30, 2022, 03:37:40 PM »

I'll be sure to notify both of my parents who contracted it in the last week. Along with my very close friends who live next door and had it sweep through their family as well
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #116 on: June 30, 2022, 04:11:35 PM »

Why do you care?
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #117 on: June 30, 2022, 04:22:25 PM »

The pandemic phase is over. COVID is not over. There are all kinds of non-pandemic health initiatives a government should engage in. America isn't a libertarian dystopia yet.

Ooh, "health initiatives!" Tell me, when do we get to flush two years of our lives down the toilet again so we can not suppress a pathogen and not come up with any good treatments for those who get infected with said pathogen? Because I just can't wait to do this all again!
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #118 on: June 30, 2022, 05:04:41 PM »

Ooh, "health initiatives!" Tell me, when do we get to flush two years of our lives down the toilet again so we can not suppress a pathogen and not come up with any good treatments for those who get infected with said pathogen? Because I just can't wait to do this all again!

Ah yes, because he's TOTALLY advocating for lockdowns again, and *GASP* MASKS?!
lakeview
Rookie
United States
« Reply #119 on: June 30, 2022, 05:12:34 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2022, 05:19:04 PM by lakeview »

I don't care what he's advocating for or what "health initiatives" he wants to pimp; that's my entire point. Any such initiatives would be run by a "public health" apparatus that many if not most Americans have unqualified distrust for, given its track record the past couple years. Distrust, I may add, that they came by honestly, for the most part.

To get back on topic, turning Sesame Street into a commercial for a symptom reducer for the sniffles (and insisting on pretending it's not such a commercial, but rather, some grand and deeply necessary humanitarian initiative) only hardens this distrust.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #120 on: July 01, 2022, 03:02:21 AM »

Quote from: Clarence  link=topic=469711.msg8665053#msg8665053 date=1656626681 uid=32396

I don't care what he's advocating for or what "health initiatives" he wants to pimp; that's my entire point. Any such initiatives would be run by a "public health" apparatus that many if not most Americans have unqualified distrust for, given its track record the past couple years. Distrust, I may add, that they came by honestly, for the most part.

To get back on topic, turning Sesame Street into a commercial for a symptom reducer for the sniffles (and insisting on pretending it's not such a commercial, but rather, some grand and deeply necessary humanitarian initiative) only hardens this distrust.

Listen dude. Public health initiatives are a necessary part of any modern society. You still need SOME public health department to do SOMETHING. Even undeveloped countries with dozens of massive problems have health departments that at least attempt to do something. Just because a bunch of people distrust them doesn't mean they stop doing their jobs. If you wanna criticize their work, go ahead. They'll just keep doing their jobs like they should.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #121 on: July 01, 2022, 03:08:42 AM »

Yeah, I'm smelling a serious strain of vacs/ covid truthism from The New Guy
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2022, 10:49:57 AM »

Elmo fires back (courtesy of Stephen Colbert and the Late Show):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFBRqqOc0pk

(Today, thanks to muppets from Sesame Street, I learned that United States Senator Ted Cruz's Twitter account once liked a MILF porn video. Something, something, post-cyberpunk dystopia. /headdesk)
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2022, 12:19:20 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2022, 12:25:55 PM by SevenEleven »

Are they mad when Sesame Street recommends other healthy choices like exercise and minimizing junk food?

Yes because it makes them feel bad about themselves.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies