I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:11:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change.  (Read 4161 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 13, 2021, 08:03:35 AM »

The problem with both parties in this country is that they want it all and refuse to give up on anything. This is what leads to the polarization. You look at the previously progressive coalitions, they included a lot of working class voters whose views on a variety of issues were shall we say not exactly progressive, but god damn they loved their unions, hated the banks and knew they had to "Vote Democrat to live like a Republican".

Now the Democratic Senator from West Virginia is complaining about inflation and calling buy union provisions un-American. You think Robert Byrd talked like that in the 1970s?

Somewhere along the line, all of the red state Dems became Senators for Wal-Mart and all of the blue state Democrats started leading with woke. Its not even a case of them opting to vote on culture instead of the economy, since the local Democrats are literally bought and paid for.

The above is, almost in its entirety, the result of the parties becoming more ideologically pure.  Conservative voters no longer become part of the Democratic Party, not even in the South.  Liberal voters are no longer entering the GOP, not even in suburbia.  Differences between liberals and differences between conservatives are all hashed out within their party's framework, but there is little overlap between the parties.

In that sense, there has never been much real "bipartisanship".  It was moderate and liberal Republicans that provided Democrats with their majorities.  It was conservative Democrats that produces ideological majorities in a number of Congresses during the 60 out of 64 years of straight Democratic control of the House (54 of 64 years in the Senate) prior to 1994.  

To the broader point of the thread:  How can the Democratic Party hope to make the kind of inroads into middle class America and small town America when it intends to pursue policies that will reduce their standard of living?  In the name of climate change, Democrats propose policies which will drive the cost of gasoline to the point where it will significantly affect the family budgets of rural and small-town voters, who use their own vehicles more?  In the name of "antiracism", Democrats advocate infusion of CRT concepts into educational curriculum that seek to delegitimize the accomplishments and standing of the Middle Class and Working Class which, for all its faults, are the people that actually do the work of America.  Democrats have excoriated forcible responses to violent protests of leftists (while being OK with cancelling the 4th and 8th Amendments with regards to J6ers) with no regard for their safety of life, limb, and property.  Why should those concerned with personal safety find solace in a political party who's attitude toward the safety of the property and homes of ordinary Americans in the face of rioting leftists is downright cavalier?

The majority of Democrats these days are either wholly dishonest on this issue or entirely intimidated by the Far Left of the party, which holds more sway within the party now than at any point in my lifetime.  They are not advocates for the well-being of the middle class and working classes.  If the suburbs swung sharply to the GOP this year, or if rural areas now vote monolithically Republican, it's not because they are convinced that the GOP is on their side, but it IS because they HOPE they'll be on their side at least somewhat?  The Democratic Party has given these people the back of their hand, and while they are perhaps not of sufficient intellectual prowess to be given a full scholarship to Yale, they were smart enough in high school to know when their boyfriend or girlfriend was dumping them and they are smart enough now to know when one of the major political party's attitude toward them is varying degrees of "You suck!".
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2021, 12:42:51 AM »

This election should be a warning sign to democrats to NOT look down on these voters simply because they don't have a college education or they voted for Trump, or they are racist. They have legimate concerns. I don't agree with their solutions.... but they have valid concerns.

GET AWAY FROM YALE AND HARVARD. Start going into these communities. Do we even need a internship in rural America for democrats ? We should like talk with them, see why they're so angry.

As a child of blue collar working class immigrants, I can see first hand why the Democrats on a national level are so unappealing. People might make fun of " Small Town ", But many Americans love to live in Small Town. Traditional Values. Tradition. Respect. Law and Order. Economic stability.  

The Middle Class is dying and these people are going to become very very angry. ( Ironically though, the Republicans started the policies that led to this moment, the democrats won't say it because like Terry, THEY ALSO INVEST IN THESE THINGS !! ).

WHY DON'T WE GET IT ?? THESE ARE AMERICANS TOO !

Here here, though the hollowing out of the middle class is a massive bipartisan neoliberal failure. The Republicans didn't force Clinton into signing NAFTA, deregulating banks or Obama to propose an awful healthcare hatchet job from the heritage foundation. Both parties also love exploiting labor from illegal immigration. That's why nothing ever gets done on that front. American citizens will do the work if you properly compensate them.

I was 35 during the 1992 campaign, and I remember in the debates how Bush 41 (who I didn't vote for and view as the guy that got the Globalist poison in our drinking water) pointed out that he was FOR NAFTA and Perot was AGAINST NAFTA, but "Governor Clinton won't say where he stands on NAFTA."  They don't call him Slick Willie for nothing.  Clinton on NAFTA in 1992 was like Harding on the League of Nations in 1920; they were deliberately vague in the hope of undecided voters concluding that, on the key issue, the candidate would ultimately come THEIR way.  And, yet, once in office, Clinton adopted NAFTA as his own achievement, signed it, and got it ratified.  As if that weren't enough, DEMOCRAT Bill Clinton became the President to get rid of Glass-Steagall. 

Being a socially conservative populist, the Democratic Party was once a good fit for me.  Yes, it had it's socially radical dipsticks, but there was little or nothing in the GOP that I wanted; they were the party of big business, authoritarianism, and anti-union.  Over the years, however, the Democratic Party has certainly become the party of authoritarians and big business.  (Are those two things linked?)  Wright Patman would spin in his grave if he saw today's Democratic Party. 

The GOP isn't great, but there are SOME there whose priorities are the middle class and the working class.  The Democrats are national Limousine Liberals; John Lindsay on steroids.  They've become that, and they're working on it to make it more so. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies