I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:10:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change.  (Read 4152 times)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« on: November 21, 2021, 05:55:31 PM »

I love how every time we get one of these “elitism” woke-scolding lectures (because a moderate lost lol) ppl just act like white = working class when the majority of working class people aren’t white, lean far to the left, and don’t vote because they think democrats are corrupt.

Which is not to say that I don’t think political correctness is a problem for democrats, it obviously is although I’m not really sure what the utility of supposed party supporters making it into a bigger deal is… but the problem is obviously the nepotism, the obsession with chasing white rich people (why is nobody as outraged by the SALT cap as they are #defundthepolice?, both are v unpopular), the constant repeating Republican talking points as if they weren’t already duly noted

We need strong persuasion and turnout operations, but third way centrism fails to meet both of those challenges! It is the political ideology, ironically enough, only of the Harvard elites that you are referencing… only the old ones not the young ones. And yet somehow whenever moderate white Dems lose elections, moderate white men in the media tell us the solution is to… do nothing? Pass no bills? Succumb to Republican talking points about popular policies instead of passing them? Definitional insanity from a community that at best makes up a fifth of the Democratic coalition (when they aren’t voting gop that is) and is used to being the center of attention.
Nobody said working class = white. Woke insanity is unpopular with minorities as well, its mostly the rich white socially progressive Warren voters who it appeals to. Focusing on economics and dropping the woke stuff (which does NOT mean ignoring race issues, it just means not being insane and alienating about it) will help with working class voters of ALL races.
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 10:30:10 PM »

I love how every time we get one of these “elitism” woke-scolding lectures (because a moderate lost lol) ppl just act like white = working class when the majority of working class people aren’t white, lean far to the left, and don’t vote because they think democrats are corrupt.

Which is not to say that I don’t think political correctness is a problem for democrats, it obviously is although I’m not really sure what the utility of supposed party supporters making it into a bigger deal is… but the problem is obviously the nepotism, the obsession with chasing white rich people (why is nobody as outraged by the SALT cap as they are #defundthepolice?, both are v unpopular), the constant repeating Republican talking points as if they weren’t already duly noted

We need strong persuasion and turnout operations, but third way centrism fails to meet both of those challenges! It is the political ideology, ironically enough, only of the Harvard elites that you are referencing… only the old ones not the young ones. And yet somehow whenever moderate white Dems lose elections, moderate white men in the media tell us the solution is to… do nothing? Pass no bills? Succumb to Republican talking points about popular policies instead of passing them? Definitional insanity from a community that at best makes up a fifth of the Democratic coalition (when they aren’t voting gop that is) and is used to being the center of attention.
Nobody said working class = white. Woke insanity is unpopular with minorities as well, its mostly the rich white socially progressive Warren voters who it appeals to. Focusing on economics and dropping the woke stuff (which does NOT mean ignoring race issues, it just means not being insane and alienating about it) will help with working class voters of ALL races.

No it is not. I don't know where you are getting your opinion from, but I work all day every day with working class, urban POC and nobody cares about wokeness. In fact, most non-whites recognize it for what it is: a racially-tinged, mainstream-media fueled moral panic. It is a cultural problem that most Americans are fully aware has nothing to do with the government.

And how I know that I'm right and you're wrong is the simple fact that there is no evidence that Youngkin or Ciatarelli (sp?) overperformed with these voters and plenty of evidence that turnout in urban precincts was lagging. It's like y'all read an opinion piece (usually written by a white person, always written by a rich person) and think that it's a definitive take. I don't see evidence for that.

Certain aspects of "wokeness," e.g. "abolish the police," heroin needle drop sites, etc. are unpopular. But to make a claim that this is what is sinking the Democrats' chances when even Third f-ing Way says that it's Manchin and Sinema's fault is, as far as I see it, just parroting racist propaganda and leaving critical thinking to the side. And the unfortunate effect of "woke scolding" is that the more a claim is repeated, the more it is assumed to be true even without substantiation.

AOC didn't lose Virginia, Terry McAuliffe did. And when the only thing standing between him and victory is a couple thousand young voters in the DMV and Richmond (which is absolutely true in a high turnout, but low urban turnout election), I'm not going to blame a woman who he intentionally didn't invite to campaign with him for his loss. That is the pinnacle of irrationality and a one-way ticket to the same kind of Gottheimerian divisiveness that is the real problem. Democrats can't be Republican lite and win, and I am so tired of watching that reality play out only to see people reflexively blame the left
I never said we need to be Republican lite, neither did I blame the left. We need to drop woke nonsense, but go full Bernie on economics. We need to campaign on Medicare for All, a living wage, ending corruption, more social spending and generally helping the poor. At the same time we need to ignore social issues entirely, they're losing issues.
The reason why AOC is way less likeable and less likely to win a national election than Bernie is because she talks woke all the time whereas Bernie (especially in 2016) didn't.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies