I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:32:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I am a democrat BUT... The democratic party needs to change.  (Read 4173 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: November 03, 2021, 07:31:31 PM »

I love how the takeaway is not "the voters aren't racist," but rather "we shouldn't look down on the voters despite the fact that they're racist."

What if it was? Why not? Howard Dean even said this in 2005 before he orchestrated the Democratic Comeback in 2006.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2021, 11:33:41 AM »

I'd rather just wait for them to die off, thanks.

"Hey Guys, let's start targeting racists and bigots!" isn't a valid response to a loss of 3% due to turnout.

An argument can be made that you should chase those votes to get to some of the people that we are already looking to pursue. There are moderate signs that some groups are inheriting the ideas of older groups.

Which is weird that a lot of poor people and discriminated against people would adopt a lot of these ideas but here we are.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 07:13:15 AM »

"Hey Guys, let's start targeting racists and bigots!" isn't a valid response to a loss of 3% due to turnout.

The democrats are in much worse shape than they were in 2009 and soon will be worse than they were in 2012 despite Millianials and gen z having far more influence now .

Also lol at blaming the loss at turnout given Terry won more votes than Northam did 4 years ago lol . You can’t compare an presidential year to non presidential one directly as there are Millions of people who only do care about the presidential race

Due to glaring democratic deficiencies in our system and your party effectively pursuing authoritarian and anti-democratic means to cement the rule of the minority? Sure. Don't act like the majority of this country supports you -- y'all haven't had a President who won the popular vote in his first term since 1988, LOL.

You are correct about comparing Presidential and Off-Year elections. I mean; the fact is that the more people who vote, the more Democrats (usually) win. It's undeniable that minority and youth vote dropping drastically had a big impact.

Lol if elections were based on the popular vote , the nature of the campaigns themselves would change lol  . Also you are once again wrong about turnout and 2004, 2016, and 2020 should have disproved that point . Turnout massively  went up in 2004 and it benefited Bush , turnout increased from 2012 to 2016 and it benefited Trump and in 2020 turnout massively increased and it literally had basically no effect as 2020 was basically 2016 if most third party voters voted democratic .Also keeping in mind that T-Mac won more votes than Northam did yet he lost while Northam easily won .

Also if you are complaining about senate allocation , the fact is it’s not gonna change so you better appeal to the voters the OP is talking about or you will be in the permanent minority in that chamber

Democrats will probably adapt. The big question is whether that is before or after those they currently can’t reach lose everything. On one hand 2006, showed us that maybe if you concede to them in certain ways, they’ll vote Democrat but the people they voted in turned out to be useless. It might be better to take responsibility for the polices you have instead of watering them down.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2021, 09:34:22 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2021, 10:31:55 AM by Person Man »

Uh... have you guys seen the media/pundit coverage of the reaction to last week? It's basically, ugh Glenn Youngkin won because people are so racist and they're so stupid they fell for anti-CRT talking points which "isn't real". Oh and anybody who voted for Winsome Sears is a white supremacist. The same people who voted for Biden and then Youngkin, are just as racist as your base Republicans, just like how Obama Trump voters became disposable after 2016. As soon as they vote R, they become bad people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY3CuLwGUx0

You saw a little bit of this last year too, before Biden ended up winning in the days following. "Is this who we are?" Joy Reid asked on election night 2020, stunned at how close the result was. Of course, in a good, moral nation that Joy Reid approves of, the result would never even be close. Everyone would just agree with her and vote for the only party that is good and decent, the Democrats.

They are not going to change anytime soon. They are doubling down on everything. It exemplifies why they lost in the first place. They have a condescending moral superiority complex that they cannot get rid of. No trends are reversing any time soon.

People said this about Republicans, too. It’s still really a tough call whether it’s worth having a bunch of blue dogs in power when we things can eventually come around. Maybe to get anything done, you have to read the room. Things in 2006 were embarrassing but they weren’t immediately bad. It made sense to have 30 guys holding down districts W won by 10 points even though they voted with Republicans on a lot of issues that weren’t immediately important.  Eventually, things got worse and people at least temporarily “came around” to more liberal people. Blue dogs at least put a defensive check on Republicans in power. You can’t really govern with them.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2021, 07:38:27 AM »

The democrats are in much worse shape than they were in 2009 and soon will be worse than they were in 2012 despite Millianials and gen z having far more influence now .

Also lol at blaming the loss at turnout given Terry won more votes than Northam did 4 years ago lol . You can’t compare an presidential year to non presidential one directly as there are Millions of people who only do care about the presidential race

Due to glaring democratic deficiencies in our system and your party effectively pursuing authoritarian and anti-democratic means to cement the rule of the minority? Sure. Don't act like the majority of this country supports you -- y'all haven't had a President who won the popular vote in his first term since 1988, LOL.

You are correct about comparing Presidential and Off-Year elections. I mean; the fact is that the more people who vote, the more Democrats (usually) win. It's undeniable that minority and youth vote dropping drastically had a big impact.

Lol if elections were based on the popular vote , the nature of the campaigns themselves would change lol  . Also you are once again wrong about turnout and 2004, 2016, and 2020 should have disproved that point . Turnout massively  went up in 2004 and it benefited Bush , turnout increased from 2012 to 2016 and it benefited Trump and in 2020 turnout massively increased and it literally had basically no effect as 2020 was basically 2016 if most third party voters voted democratic .Also keeping in mind that T-Mac won more votes than Northam did yet he lost while Northam easily won .

Yes, exactly. The GOP would never have nominated a grotesque, unqualified, racist sexual predator. Which would be a wonderful thing. Republicans wouldn't have to answer for the treasonous acts of their leader, or the tens of thousands of unnecessary Covid deaths.

Also if you are complaining about senate allocation , the fact is it’s not gonna change so you better appeal to the voters the OP is talking about or you will be in the permanent minority in that chamber

No thanks. I just don't see any universe in which a political system continues to function when ~30% of the population controls ~70% of the Senate seats. It's a recipe for revolution, which would be immensely destructive to conservative interests. So it's time for Republicans such as yourself to start compromising. I certainly don't view you folks as patriots post-Trump, but it is your patriotic duty. Otherwise, if you insist on continuing to ratf**k at every available opportunity, you'll eventually reap the whirlwind. I no longer want to live alongside you, and the more you sabotage the political process, the more Democrats come to agree with me.

Republicans were in the minority for 40 consecutive years in the house and no matter how much they whined about how unfair it was, they had to deal with that.

Yeah, 'cause most of the electorate didn't support GOP candidates. Except, occasionally, for president. You're advocating for an authoritarian system in which the GOP continues to exercise minority rule. Which is destined to fail spectacularly. I'm trying to save Republicans from themselves, but unlike the UK Tories, y'all just won't listen. Heaven help you.

It’s illiterate to compare the composition of Congress between 1946 and 1994 and any time after 2010.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 10:03:49 AM »

Democrats need their own Fox News to drive their messaging and they need to communicate with voters more, asking them what they feel and think. MSNBC and CNN constantly BOTH SIDES things all the time. I'm not saying be as dishonest and partisan as Fox News but people like Chuck Todd and Chris Cillizza need to go away.

I definitely think woke stuff/activist sloganeering is a problem for the party. White privilege is just a non starter for a lot of voters.

The issues that voters care about are changing and Democrats need to find a way to answer those needs without losing the base's interest.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies