Republican Davison +17 over police abolitionist Thomas-Kennedy in Seattle City Attorney Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:36:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republican Davison +17 over police abolitionist Thomas-Kennedy in Seattle City Attorney Race
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Republican Davison +17 over police abolitionist Thomas-Kennedy in Seattle City Attorney Race  (Read 4552 times)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2021, 09:42:27 AM »

I'm pretty far left on criminal justice reform. But not that far. This crazy person would bring so much bad press... Good thing she lost.

Police departments across the country need massive institutional reform. Not abolition.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2021, 09:54:26 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2021, 09:58:22 AM by GeneralMacArthur »

FWIW Is, I edit my  Is former statement to note even 8 would have voted for Davison, and I think people know I'm a criminal defense attorney (though ftr a former long time prosecutor). Though even there I'm a bit concerned her views are a little too harsh and not the direction we need to go,, and worse yet she's inexperienced.

Frankly,, IMHO the incumbent Pete Holmes should've been re-elected.

I predict Davison either "converts" to reasonable common sense initiatives like Holmes fostered AND switches parties, or she'll be a one term wonder.

She's probably destined for one term no matter what.  Regardless of what she actually does, progressives are going to immediately start talking about her "crackdown" and "broken windows policing", and every single prosecution they can dishonestly paint as draconian or unjustified will become evidence of this.  And the line will be "we knew this was coming because she's a Republican."

Switching parties will just look opportunistic and insincere.  The office is non-partisan anyway, she's not elected to be a "Republican city attorney" she's just elected to be city attorney.

I expect many of King County's blue-chip lawyers are already beginning to plot a course for 2026.  Davison's weakness is obvious and most voters in Seattle would probably take a trustworthy, experienced lawyer who promises to "create a more equitable and understanding criminal justice system" over whatever crime-loving Twitterati the progressives try to get behind in five years.

It's a shame, because I anticipate Davison doing a lot of good.  At least we'll have five years of crime and public safety being taken seriously top-to-bottom by our city executives, and the sound spanking Nikkita Oliver received should make it clear to the rest of the council that Seattleites aren't interested in their interfering in that paradigm by trying to legalize more crimes.

Also, who knows what will happen?  Five years is a long time in politics.  Five years ago I was sealing my vote for Hillary Clinton for president, the Ferguson fires were just dying down, and there was none of this talk of defunding the police.  It's entirely likely the left's interest in the criminal justice system will dissipate by then and the city attorney race will end up just being like Kim Wyman's re-election, an uncontroversial renewal of lease for a non-partisan Republican who's quiet and does a good job.
UncleSam

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2021, 10:45:18 AM »

Yep I voted for Davison, though with significant reservations. I don’t think Davison is a good option, but the alternative was a lot worse.

Now I’m just waiting to recall Sawant and the election cycle will finally be over 🙂
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2021, 11:08:58 AM »

Unless her opponent in the following election is someone like NTK, or Davison is enormously popular (which I doubt), she will not be getting more than one term.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2021, 04:00:00 PM »

Unless her opponent in the following election is someone like NTK, or Davison is enormously popular (which I doubt), she will not be getting more than one term.

Idk why she’d bother running for re-election. This is about the textbook definition of one-term wonder, right up there with Doug Jones.

She might as well use her perch to try and run for WA Governor or Attorney General, which she might be able to win. No way she wins again in a 88-9 D city without a similar set of flukes and dominos landing the way they did this time.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2021, 07:08:14 PM »

22,000 votes added and no change to the margin. Davison wins.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2021, 07:10:22 PM »

NTK was too far for even me. Very much not my kind of leftist.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2021, 07:11:05 PM »

Good to see NTK's loss is now reflected in the counted vote tally.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2021, 07:30:07 PM »

22,000 votes added and no change to the margin. Davison wins.
More like 15 with a 1% decrease in Davison’s margin. Seriously, Davison will probably win but it’s pretty unlikely to be by double digits, especially with larger and successively more progressive vote dumps.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2021, 07:37:31 PM »

How could anyone vote for such a vile woman?

She literally tweeted in praise of burning a police building

I’m sorry but this is a bad look for a lot of Seattle voters
Spectator
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2021, 07:42:39 PM »

Frankly I’m proud and pleasantly surprised at the result. Don’t know why it’s a bad look.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2021, 07:48:29 PM »

It's never a good sign when the Republican in the race is far closer to the mainstream Democratic position than their opponent. Clearly too far even for Seattle, similar to Ted Wheeler's primary in Portland last year.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2021, 11:15:00 PM »

Frankly I’m proud and pleasantly surprised at the result. Don’t know why it’s a bad look.

I think the question is how she became the democratic  Is candidate in the 1st  Place, or at least in the top two primary.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2021, 11:16:59 PM »

I think the question is how she became the democratic  Is candidate in the 1st  Place, or at least in the top two primary.

The left split its vote between Holmes and NTK. Seems that NTK was just enough of a nutjob that half of Holmes voters will vote for Davison.
Spectator
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2021, 04:30:48 PM »

The left split its vote between Holmes and NTK. Seems that NTK was just enough of a nutjob that half of Holmes voters will vote for Davison.

More like 80% of Holmes voters voted for Davison.  NTK led the jungle primary with 36% and is now at only 41%.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2021, 04:35:49 PM »

More like 80% of Holmes voters voted for Davison.  NTK led the jungle primary with 36% and is now at only 41%.

Probably going to get upto 45% by the end, so around 60 %.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2021, 06:10:33 PM »

Decent sized vote dump, now Davison's lead is 11% or about 21K, so NTK gained about 3K, but now the vote total is approaching 200K, and I'd guess that there are at most 100K left, probably fewer, meaning NTK would have to win the remaining votes by at least 21%, likely more. Seems pretty unlikely, though this could end up being somewhat close.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2021, 06:34:34 PM »
« Edited: November 04, 2021, 06:40:00 PM by Adams »

Considering that her opponent is a complete lunatic, and I’m saying that as a progressive Democrat, this isn’t nearly as crazy it sounds, and I can’t say it’s depressing. It’s not like she’s beating Sanders. Plenty of Sanders/Warren voters voted for her. She won’t win by 17, but I imagine it’ll be in the 5-10% range.

I already explained to you why this isn't accurate. But if you want to be on the same side as the Republicans in this thread, go ahead.

I’ve done my research on this race. Believe me, voting for Davison wasn’t pleasant, but NTK really is that bad. And Sanders voters voting for her is accurate.

You really don't sound like you have, to be honest. You obviously are operating on a complete mischaracterization of both candidates' views. If I identified as a progressive and supported someone like Davison, who stands against pretty much every criminal justice reform goal imaginable, I'd be sick. And it's not just that her views are repugnant. She's also completely unqualified. Usually in a race like this both candidates at least have sufficient experience to make a case for their own election. But not this one. Davison has nothing. Her entire shtick is the unfair accusation that her opponent is a lunatic - as one of the resident centrist D hacks parroted stupidly above you - while her own candidacy is hilariously retrograde, unfit for even a city replete with corporate Dems like Seattle. But, keep robotically repeating that Warren/Sanders voters supported her. I'm sure that will lessen the sting when you find out exactly how she intends to prioritize her time in office.

NTK, however, does have specific plans to stop prosecuting misdemeanors. Now, I think the criminal justice system is not just for all, but I will say that with a higher rate of property crime in Seattle, an enormous homelessness and addiction problem, this is not a good direction to go in. Even if her position is more along the lines of “alternative responses to misdemeanors” than literally ignoring them, this is absolutely not what is needed a city where residents feel increasingly unsafe.

So, basically: jail is the solution for homelessness and addiction, and no other alternative is worth pursuing? Yep, sounds like you had a great reason to vote for a Republican.

At least you aren't advocating for addicts to be rounded up and sent out of the city like General Hackaroni does. But to be clear, you're on the same team and now you'll get to enjoy this unqualified, racist idiot's tenure in your city.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2021, 06:36:27 PM »

Yep I voted for Davison, though with significant reservations. I don’t think Davison is a good option, but the alternative was a lot worse.

Now I’m just waiting to recall Sawant and the election cycle will finally be over 🙂

Sawant is very bad for business - Amazon should absolutely not have to pay taxes. It's frankly an outrage that anyone would even insinuate this, especially since Bezos did the great public service of naming the hockey arena after the "climate pledge."
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2021, 06:39:23 PM »

Very excited for the final precinct map.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2021, 06:43:34 PM »

Seattle City Attorney is a non-partisan elected position (As are many other similar type of municipal offices in the Western US).

Seattle does have a voters guide where folks can read about various candidates for local elected office.

I suspect that many voters weren't closely attuned to this particular election, but fwiw I believe Davison has said that she voted Democratic for the past four Presidential Elections, so even for those somewhat following the election she likely didn't come off a complete nutter (aka Trump Republican).

https://info.kingcounty.gov/kcelections/Vote/contests/candidates.aspx?cid=66659&candidateid=1592991&lang=en-US&pamphletson=true#cnd1592991
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2021, 07:04:05 PM »

Yeah--- should be interesting.

For those not aware King County will actually post an initial precinct map on their website 11/5/21 and a final one by 11/24/21.

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/elections/results/2021/202111.aspx
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2021, 08:58:05 PM »

Broadmoor will vote like Southern suburbs did for Ronald Reagan.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2021, 09:21:24 PM »

Sawant is very bad for business - Amazon should absolutely not have to pay taxes. It's frankly an outrage that anyone would even insinuate this, especially since Bezos did the great public service of naming the hockey arena after the "climate pledge."

I can't believe Bezos ended climate change bro
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2021, 09:30:48 PM »

The elephant in the room here is that the progressive coalition aside from SAlt—Progressive Party and Democratic progressives, People’s Party, and DSA—went too far in their campaign rhetoric. SAlt may be very much into class warfare rhetoric, but they do not advocate for extreme policies the people aren’t ready for and that would lead to confusion and are not the ones to advocate violent rhetoric against property. SAlt focuses on simple stuff like minimum wage increases, affordable housing, and advocates police reform and defunding for community programs (it should be noted that Kshama Sawant has worked with employing the current police chief and her party views police as workers like any other).

None of the other parties had much idea of cooking together, and they didn’t know what to serve against the big order of the duopoly, so we had incompetent cooks in the kitchen and the more experienced chef was too preoccupied with not wasting enough resources so as to cook tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies