Republican Davison +17 over police abolitionist Thomas-Kennedy in Seattle City Attorney Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:49:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Republican Davison +17 over police abolitionist Thomas-Kennedy in Seattle City Attorney Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Republican Davison +17 over police abolitionist Thomas-Kennedy in Seattle City Attorney Race  (Read 4553 times)
LiberalDem19

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2021, 12:19:15 AM »

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/republican-ann-davison-leading-abolitionist-nicole-thomas-kennedy-in-seattle-city-attorney-race/

Yep, the city of Seattle might end up voting for a Republican candidate... which is really, really depressing...
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2021, 12:20:34 AM »

Very misleading, I do think Davison narrowly wins but NTK is going to catch up quite a bit as is the pattern with progressive candidates in Seattle.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2021, 12:21:43 AM »

Glad to see the great city of Seattle is rejecting the state of nature.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2021, 12:21:58 AM »

Considering that her opponent is a complete lunatic, and I’m saying that as a progressive Democrat, this isn’t nearly as crazy it sounds, and I can’t say it’s depressing. It’s not like she’s beating Sanders. Plenty of Sanders/Warren voters voted for her. She won’t win by 17, but I imagine it’ll be in the 5-10% range.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2021, 12:23:31 AM »

Wonderful news!
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2021, 12:24:31 AM »

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2021, 01:02:34 AM »

She's not even a real Republican. She ran as a Democrat before and was endorsed by multiple former Democratic governors of WA. It's really more helpful to think of this race as moderate and sane vs. so far left bats--t crazy even the maroon avatars here don't like it than as Republican vs. Democrat.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2021, 01:04:30 AM »

Considering that her opponent is a complete lunatic, and I’m saying that as a progressive Democrat, this isn’t nearly as crazy it sounds, and I can’t say it’s depressing. It’s not like she’s beating Sanders. Plenty of Sanders/Warren voters voted for her. She won’t win by 17, but I imagine it’ll be in the 5-10% range.

I already explained to you why this isn't accurate. But if you want to be on the same side as the Republicans in this thread, go ahead.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2021, 01:05:52 AM »

She's not even a real Republican. She ran as a Democrat before and was endorsed by multiple former Democratic governors of WA. It's really more helpful to think of this race as moderate and sane vs. so far left bats--t crazy even the maroon avatars here don't like it than as Republican vs. Democrat.

Democrats don't tend to support "Blue Lives Matter", COVID conspiracies, or lengthy sentences for non-violent offenders.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2021, 01:07:29 AM »

Love to live in Ukraine, stan John McCain, and express my support for fake Democrats running for city-level positions I know nothing about.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2021, 01:07:59 AM »

Hopefully next time progressives can vote responsibly so that the only two choices are not a Republican and a lunatic.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2021, 01:09:54 AM »

I already explained to you why this isn't accurate. But if you want to be on the same side as the Republicans in this thread, go ahead.

I’ve done my research on this race. Believe me, voting for Davison wasn’t pleasant, but NTK really is that bad. And Sanders voters voting for her is accurate.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2021, 01:25:35 AM »

I’ve done my research on this race. Believe me, voting for Davison wasn’t pleasant, but NTK really is that bad. And Sanders voters voting for her is accurate.

You really don't sound like you have, to be honest. You obviously are operating on a complete mischaracterization of both candidates' views. If I identified as a progressive and supported someone like Davison, who stands against pretty much every criminal justice reform goal imaginable, I'd be sick. And it's not just that her views are repugnant. She's also completely unqualified. Usually in a race like this both candidates at least have sufficient experience to make a case for their own election. But not this one. Davison has nothing. Her entire shtick is the unfair accusation that her opponent is a lunatic - as one of the resident centrist D hacks parroted stupidly above you - while her own candidacy is hilariously retrograde, unfit for even a city replete with corporate Dems like Seattle. But, keep robotically repeating that Warren/Sanders voters supported her. I'm sure that will lessen the sting when you find out exactly how she intends to prioritize her time in office.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2021, 01:30:56 AM »

Fwiw, this race was one of the only times in my life I've done a write-in. I wasn't going to vote for an ideological chameleon with next to no trial experience to be city attorney, even if it meant keeping Thomas-Kennedy out of office. And while I think Thomas-Kennedy's craziness is often (but not always) over-exaggerated, I don't want someone who is using their elected position just to build up far-left activist cred, which was clearly what she was angling to do. And by the current count, at least 1,000 other people made the same choice - more than double the number that did so in the mayoral election.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2021, 01:41:46 AM »

Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2021, 01:48:04 AM »

Yeah, unlike you I don't live with or depend on my parents, which makes it easier to care about other people, a trait some of us haven't mastered.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 01:49:26 AM »

Upgrading to Category 4. Stand by and prepare for an evacuation order.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2021, 02:12:31 AM »

Proud to have done my part to help this campaign win.  Cheers to keeping crime illegal and awful people out of public office.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2021, 02:45:01 AM »

In the context of prosecuting attorneys far left lunatic is a positive in my book.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2021, 04:13:11 AM »

Not depressing - it's a sign of sanity. Even such liberal city doesn't want to elect this police-hating idiot....
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 06:23:09 AM »

At one end stood Thomas-Kennedy, a former public defender who wants to ultimately abolish misdemeanor prosecutions. During the unrest that swept the city in the summer of 2020, she tweeted about her “rabid hatred of the police” and pronounced property destruction during times of protest a “moral imperative.”

Wow this result is truly a mystery
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 07:07:09 AM »

You really don't sound like you have, to be honest. You obviously are operating on a complete mischaracterization of both candidates' views. If I identified as a progressive and supported someone like Davison, who stands against pretty much every criminal justice reform goal imaginable, I'd be sick. And it's not just that her views are repugnant. She's also completely unqualified. Usually in a race like this both candidates at least have sufficient experience to make a case for their own election. But not this one. Davison has nothing. Her entire shtick is the unfair accusation that her opponent is a lunatic - as one of the resident centrist D hacks parroted stupidly above you - while her own candidacy is hilariously retrograde, unfit for even a city replete with corporate Dems like Seattle. But, keep robotically repeating that Warren/Sanders voters supported her. I'm sure that will lessen the sting when you find out exactly how she intends to prioritize her time in office.

Yes, I’ve read plenty of sources in which NTK “explains” her views. It comes out to the same thing, eventually moving away from policing as a method of dealing with crime. We can make it sound nicer, point out the flaws of the criminal justice system and some of the unfortunately underlying reasons for why crime exists in Seattle (yes, the absurd cost of living, lack of affordable mental health services, and addiction are all part of this), but I cannot get behind this. I’m under no delusion about Davison. She’s an opportunist who is not sufficiently qualified for the office. NTK, however, does have specific plans to stop prosecuting misdemeanors. Now, I think the criminal justice system is not just for all, but I will say that with a higher rate of property crime in Seattle, an enormous homelessness and addiction problem, this is not a good direction to go in. Even if her position is more along the lines of “alternative responses to misdemeanors” than literally ignoring them, this is absolutely not what is needed a city where residents feel increasingly unsafe. And I don’t care “whose side” I’m on in this thread, either. I’m sick of so many battle lines being drawn in the sand and people being so loyal not only to a party but also a label. I’m decidedly left-wing, but there are limits to what I can support, respect that.

Progressives have a lot to offer, and I think many of their ideas deserve more sunlight, but when it comes to certain issues like policing, among others, they need to do a much better job of messaging, show more nuance, and not get behind bad actors.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2021, 07:20:10 AM »

Yeah, unlike you I don't live with or depend on my parents, which makes it easier to care about other people, a trait some of us haven't mastered.

I am unaware whether or not JD does in fact live with his parents while studying in school or something, or this is just some Gratuitous "you live in your mother's basement" level attack. Though I have to say if it is the former, JD really really led with his chin there.

And FTR this is speaking as someone who probably would have followed crumpets tack ofVoting for a write in or maybe Davisin despite her lack of experience.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2021, 07:23:52 AM »

First Republican (even if it's a former Democrat) to win office in Seattle since...?

Progressives have a lot to offer, and I think many of their ideas deserve more sunlight, but when it comes to certain issues like policing, among others, they need to do a much better job of messaging, show more nuance, and not get behind bad actors.

That statement can literally apply to every political ideology.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2021, 07:37:27 AM »

FWIW Is, I edit my  Is former statement to note even 8 would have voted for Davison, and I think people know I'm a criminal defense attorney (though ftr a former long time prosecutor). Though even there I'm a bit concerned her views are a little too harsh and not the direction we need to go,, and worse yet she's inexperienced.

Frankly,, IMHO the incumbent Pete Holmes should've been re-elected.

I predict Davison either "converts" to reasonable common sense initiatives like Holmes fostered AND switches parties, or she'll be a one term wonder.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies