Are all instances of blackface alike?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:37:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Are all instances of blackface alike?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are all instances of blackface alike?  (Read 747 times)
nomoredemocoups
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2021, 11:06:06 PM »

theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/02/mark-herring-and-grey-zones-blackface/582355/
 You decide
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 11:21:17 PM »

Little Justin Trudeau decides to paint his face black one day for Halloween.

He walks downstairs to where his mother, Margaret, is cooking dinner, and says "Look mom, I'm black!" Margaret Trudeau stares at him, picks up a wooden spatula, and spanks him with it-- hard. "Take that stupid paint off, son!" she says. "You look like a darn fool!"

Justin runs into the living room, where his father Pierre sits reading the paper. "Dad," Justin yells, "Mom hit me because I'm black!" Pierre takes one look at his son, rolls up his newspaper, and hits him over the head with it. "For God's sake, son, wash your face!" he shouts. "You'll get in serious trouble if you walk around town like that!"

Justin runs upstairs crying and slams the door to his room. "I can't believe it," he says. "I've only been black for ten minutes, and I already hate these motherf**king crackers!"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 10:41:32 AM »

When I was a little kid, the least racist white people alive wore black face.  There were a ton of Mr Ts for a couple of Halloweens there, because he was awesome.  Nobody that was racist would like Mr T and nobody with racist parents would have been allowed to wear a Mr T costume.  And nobody alive* at the time would have thought the little kid in black face was a problem at all.

<FTR, I did not ever go as Mr T>

We also really liked Boy George, but this isn't about gayface.

*ok, there is always someone, but certainly not like today if an 8 yo tried to dress up as a character from Wakanda.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 08:06:24 AM »

Very different.

As Deadoman said, very common place when I was young and no one mentioned the word racism.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 07:57:26 AM »

Mark Herring dressed in blackface as a homage to Kurtis Blow?

That's actually pretty dope.  I would have gone as Slick Rick. 
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 11:30:47 AM »

Most of the time they are outside of using it ironically or to mock the practice.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2021, 11:48:04 AM »

Whether or not its intentions are actively hateful, the purpose of blackface is always to perpetuate racial stereotypes. Both doing it "without racial intentions" (a professor I had who spent much of his career teaching in the UK spoke of colleagues who defended the use of blackface in that country, such as in The Black and White Minstrel Show, which actually temporarily rebranded after pressure from civil rights groups only to revert by popular demand) and post-ironic mocking of the practice are unable to transcend this basic level of tastelessness.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 02:04:27 PM »

Back in 2009, Robert Downey Jr. was nominated for an Oscar for playing what was essentially a blackfaced character. Would that generate more controversy nowadays? Probably. But it seems they got away with it then because it was a parody of blackfacing and racial stereotyping, hence reaching a whole new meta level. Some may argue that even meta blackfacing is bad.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2021, 05:38:22 PM »

Whether or not its intentions are actively hateful, the purpose of blackface is always to perpetuate racial stereotypes.
what about my example above (white kid in 1983 dressing up like his hero, Mr T)?
Saint Milei
DeadPrez
Atlas Politician
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -7.91

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 04:29:03 PM »

Whether or not its intentions are actively hateful, the purpose of blackface is always to perpetuate racial stereotypes.
what about my example above (white kid in 1983 dressing up like his hero, Mr T)?
That's not blackfacing unless you dress up like some dark ass Mr. T and it comes across bad.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 06:35:29 PM »

I think the cultural context and the meaning behind blackface matters. There’s a lot of difference with using blackface in countries with a history of minstrel shows, and using blackface in countries without similar tradition. It also depend on the person in question, if the person come across as a massive hypocrite or have a history of racism I see as worse than if they don’t.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2021, 02:02:59 PM »

I think the cultural context and the meaning behind blackface matters. There’s a lot of difference with using blackface in countries with a history of minstrel shows, and using blackface in countries without similar tradition. It also depend on the person in question, if the person come across as a massive hypocrite or have a history of racism I see as worse than if they don’t.

"A history of minstrel shows"...which were based on what?

HERITAGE NOT HATE is, as always, not an excuse.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2021, 08:09:45 PM »

"A history of minstrel shows"...which were based on what?

HERITAGE NOT HATE is, as always, not an excuse.

He might mean Black Pete at Christmas.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2021, 08:15:01 PM »

according to the internet, blackface is okay when Democrats do it
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 10:01:11 AM »

Obviously not.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2021, 10:47:47 AM »

Blackface was found on mainstream UK comedy a decade ago. That it's really cringy to watch now shows how fast things change.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies