What non country genre is the most Republican leaning?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:28:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What non country genre is the most Republican leaning?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What non country genre is the most Republican leaning?  (Read 759 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2021, 10:40:05 PM »

What genre tends to lean right the most other than the obvious choice?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 10:43:47 PM »

Ignoring the obvious example of Christian Rock … classic rock, specifically bands and sub genres that were and are popular among White men who graduated high school from about 1970-1985.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 10:49:34 PM »

specifically southern rock.  Allman Bros, Skynnrd, etc...oh and yacht rock.  And whatever Kid Rock is.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 11:12:03 PM »

Specific subsubgenres of hardcore metal are listened to almost exclusively by honest-to-God neo-Nazis who in many case had the Richard Spencer Trump 2016->blackpill 2020 progression, but if we're going with mainstream Republican genres, yeah, dead0man gave a great answer.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 11:19:27 PM »

specifically southern rock.  Allman Bros, Skynnrd, etc...oh and yacht rock.  And whatever Kid Rock is.

I wouldn't call "Saturday Night Special" a remotely right-wing song, but I would agree that Skynyrd's remaining fanbase probably leans right even compared to other classic rock bands.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2021, 12:26:38 AM »

Specific subsubgenres of hardcore metal are listened to almost exclusively by honest-to-God neo-Nazis who in many case had the Richard Spencer Trump 2016->blackpill 2020 progression, but if we're going with mainstream Republican genres, yeah, dead0man gave a great answer.

There is no such thing as "hardcore metal". Hardcore and metal are completely different genres. The closest thing to that would be metalcore, which is obviously not the answer or Republican at all. (I suppose you could also make a case for crossover thrash bands like Municipal Waste falling under such a category too, but considering Municipal Waste's infamous Trump shirt how much of a Republican audience they have is quite obvious.)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2021, 12:41:15 AM »

I'd argue CCM is probably even more right-wing than country, which is at least big enough that it picks up at least some liberals. I imagine Democrats that listen to Christian rock/pop are pretty rare, and most religious minorities tend to listen to gospel.

Failing that, dead0man/RINO Tom probably got it right with classic Southern rock.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2021, 12:53:03 AM »

I'd argue CCM is probably even more right-wing than country, which is at least big enough that it picks up at least some liberals. I imagine Democrats that listen to Christian rock/pop are pretty rare
What about Christian hardcore?
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 04:10:46 AM »

Got to be late 70s - 80s Rock, dominated by white men and listened to by white boys in suburbs and small towns, and still listened to them (but now they're old geezers pining for the "Glory Days" of 1982). 

The anti-Disco movement that swept through the country was a reaction from reactionary young white men that wanted to make sure everyone knew they "wouldn't get [me] out on the floor" because they loved that "old time rock and roll".
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 11:58:52 AM »

Yacht rock has developed a semi-ironic younger fanbase over the past fifteen years or so thanks in large part to the web series that popularized the term (I advise that you avoid the Twitter drama that the creators are involved in about what the term means), so I imagine that its base has become more progressive as of late. One of the series' co-creators, ex-music critic Steve Huey, is a DSA type.

Got to be late 70s - 80s Rock, dominated by white men and listened to by white boys in suburbs and small towns, and still listened to them (but now they're old geezers pining for the "Glory Days" of 1982). 

The anti-Disco movement that swept through the country was a reaction from reactionary young white men that wanted to make sure everyone knew they "wouldn't get [me] out on the floor" because they loved that "old time rock and roll".

The disco backlash had as much to do with its origins and popularity in Black and queer circles as dislike of the music itself, as is evidenced by said "reactionary young white men" being the ones most incensed by its popularity.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 01:00:11 PM »

Here's a list from "Conservapedia" with their list of the "greatest conservative songs." Including such well-known Republican tracks as Michael Jackson's "Beat It," Slayer's "Angel of Death," and songs by the Ramones and the Sex Pistols.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 02:37:46 PM »

Contemporary Christian music has to be up there
thebeloitmoderate
Mexico

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 05:21:06 PM »

Soundcloud rap because of toxic themes alongside popularity as well
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 09:26:00 PM »

There is no such thing as "hardcore metal". Hardcore and metal are completely different genres. The closest thing to that would be metalcore, which is obviously not the answer or Republican at all. (I suppose you could also make a case for crossover thrash bands like Municipal Waste falling under such a category too, but considering Municipal Waste's infamous Trump shirt how much of a Republican audience they have is quite obvious.)

I'm using "hardcore" in its widely accepted colloquial, adjectival sense, not as a minutely delineated genre descriptor that's mutually exclusive with metal.

Soundcloud rap because of toxic themes alongside popularity as well

ayy lmao
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 10:14:26 PM »

Here's a list from "Conservapedia" with their list of the "greatest conservative songs." Including such well-known Republican tracks as Michael Jackson's "Beat It," Slayer's "Angel of Death," and songs by the Ramones and the Sex Pistols.

"Turn, Turn, Turn"   Pete Seeger

I think this gave me brain damage.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 10:39:05 PM »

"Turn, Turn, Turn"   Pete Seeger

I don’t know how I missed that one.

Surprised Woody Guthrie and Billy Bragg didn’t make the list.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2021, 12:16:30 AM »

"Turn, Turn, Turn" Pete Seeger

Is this solely based on that it's a paraphrase of a Bible passage? That's the only logic I can see...and that alone is quite LOL.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2021, 12:18:30 AM »

CCM is a pretty good answer. Country is just normal white people music in the heartland.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 12:24:04 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2021, 12:28:03 AM by super easy, barely an inconvenience »

ahahahahahahahahaha that Conservapedia list has a few DEAD KENNEDYS songs on it, ahahaahhahahahahahahaahahaha!
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2021, 10:50:48 AM »

I'd argue CCM is probably even more right-wing than country, which is at least big enough that it picks up at least some liberals. I imagine Democrats that listen to Christian rock/pop are pretty rare, and most religious minorities tend to listen to gospel.

Failing that, dead0man/RINO Tom probably got it right with classic Southern rock.

Eh, most CCM you hear on the radio is so bland and inoffensive that I have a hard time believing there aren't a fair number of liberal Catholics/Mainline Protestants who listen to it. The stereotype would be liberal Christian suburban moms just looking for something upbeat and positive for their kids.

Now, if you're talking Hillsong/Bethel-style evangelical worship music, then that's almost certainly highly Republican.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2021, 06:21:15 PM »

Eh, most CCM you hear on the radio is so bland and inoffensive that I have a hard time believing there aren't a fair number of liberal Catholics/Mainline Protestants who listen to it. The stereotype would be liberal Christian suburban moms just looking for something upbeat and positive for their kids.

Now, if you're talking Hillsong/Bethel-style evangelical worship music, then that's almost certainly highly Republican.
They play that type of worship music in liberal churches too.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 02:15:48 PM »

This is true, but the Christian radio stations that play CCM are often quite right-wing, so people who listen to it regularly in the car almost certainly lean R.  
JGibson
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: -6.50

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2021, 01:55:41 AM »

This is true, but the Christian radio stations that play CCM are often quite right-wing, so people who listen to it regularly in the car almost certainly lean R.  

That is true, considering that Jars of Clay (and even Lauren Daigle) got in to hot water for being too LGBTQ+-friendly. 
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2021, 06:40:27 AM »

That is true, considering that Jars of Clay (and even Lauren Daigle) got in to hot water for being too LGBTQ+-friendly. 

She’s too liberal for many of these types.
Yes, I know liberal country singers exist(esp women).
Wormless Gourd
cringenat
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2021, 09:11:15 PM »

I would not be surprised if current rap-rock fans are a strongly Obama-Trump demographic
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies