Opinion of new versions of fiction in which the protagonist is not white cisgender heterosexual male
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:00:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of new versions of fiction in which the protagonist is not white cisgender heterosexual male
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What do you think about new versions of comics and sci-fi in which the original story used to have a white cisgender heterosexual male protagonist and the new version has a black, asian, indigenous, transgender, gay, bisexual or female protagonist?
Good

Don't care

Bad

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Opinion of new versions of fiction in which the protagonist is not white cisgender heterosexual male  (Read 575 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2021, 08:05:36 PM »

Some >30 conservative nerds are very angry about these new versions. They say "it destroyed my childhood".
Others think that inclusivity is very important.
What do you think?
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 08:09:29 PM »

If you care about inclusivity, come up with your own work with original characters.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 08:40:10 PM »

Usually a way to jazz up a lowest-common-denominator remake. Spinoffs featuring more diverse protagonists have a better record, as do existing properties with mainstream appeal. See Black Panther and Shang-Chi tearing up the box office.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 08:44:05 PM »

I think it really depends.  There is a way to do it without shoehorning someone in.  Take James Bond.  He's a macho man action hero.  There's really no reason I can see that he needs to be a white guy.  If you can find someone of any other race that gives off that some Bondian energy, that guy can play him.  There's the argument that he's always been white, and if the movie was going to be set in the 1960s then yeah the actor will probably be white as there were not many non-white people living in Britain.  If it's set in 2021 it's pretty natural for him to be from another race as Britain is much more diverse now.

I really don't watch too many movies so I'm not sure off the top of my head what an example of shoehorning is, but I can absolutely envision it.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 08:53:55 PM »

If you care about inclusivity, come up with your own work with original characters.

why not both
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 09:30:45 PM »

why not both

Because the last thing that Hollywood needs is more canned unoriginal ripoffs that continue to oversaturate the media market.

And the result is usually atrocious. If you want to watch the all-female Ghostbusters, have fun with that.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 10:36:36 PM »

why not both

Because being derivative is a fundamentally bad thing.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 11:19:03 PM »

why not both

Now this just isn't true.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 11:26:25 PM »

I think it really depends.  There is a way to do it without shoehorning someone in.  Take James Bond.  He's a macho man action hero.  There's really no reason I can see that he needs to be a white guy.  If you can find someone of any other race that gives off that some Bondian energy, that guy can play him.  There's the argument that he's always been white, and if the movie was going to be set in the 1960s then yeah the actor will probably be white as there were not many non-white people living in Britain.  If it's set in 2021 it's pretty natural for him to be from another race as Britain is much more diverse now.

I really don't watch too many movies so I'm not sure off the top of my head what an example of shoehorning is, but I can absolutely envision it.

This is a good point, and it's not one-size-fits-all. There's no real reason Idris Elba or Oscar Isaac couldn't pull off Bond (well, besides Isaac being not-British, I guess). But I would also argue that Bond's energy is so unmistakably, deliberately male that you couldn't gender-swap the character in the same way you could race-swap them and keep the same character.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 12:31:21 AM »

why not both

Now this just isn't true.

But Howard Roark said so, so it must be true.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies