Who won the militant atheist vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:38:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Who won the militant atheist vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who won the militant atheist vote?  (Read 660 times)
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2021, 03:06:45 PM »

From 1984 to present I'm inclined to say Democrat. Obviously Ford over Carter, maybe a plurality for Anderson in 1980 and McKinley in 1896 and 1900 with Taft in 1908. Otherwise i'm not sure. In some elections like 1928 it would depend on weather they were more hostile to Catholicism or Protestant moralism. 
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 04:03:33 PM »

I imagine it swung hard R in 2016, given Trump's early attempts to distance himself from Southern Evangelical party orthodoxy (though its disingenuity was clear) and, at the risk of going full "Gamergate is responsible for the entire contemporary political landscape", how much of contemporary online far-right thought emerged from the whole greater r/atheism scene. I highly doubt that it outright went R, though.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 04:43:30 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2021, 04:48:51 PM by #PACK THE COURTS »

I imagine it swung hard R in 2016, given Trump's early attempts to distance himself from Southern Evangelical party orthodoxy (though its disingenuity was clear) and, at the risk of going full "Gamergate is responsible for the entire contemporary political landscape", how much of contemporary online far-right thought emerged from the whole greater r/atheism scene. I highly doubt that it outright went R, though.
Lol. The militant atheist I know best (myself) reviles Trump to the point of viewing him as the worst President the US has ever had, and even before the 2016 election, viewed him as the worst major party nominee from either party since 1868 (and now maybe views him as the worst major party nominee from either party ever).
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 05:57:47 PM »

Lol. The militant atheist I know best (myself) reviles Trump to the point of viewing him as the worst President the US has ever had, and even before the 2016 election, viewed him as the worst major party nominee from either party since 1868 (and now maybe views him as the worst major party nominee from either party ever).

You're far from alone in that, but for everyone like that there's a Carl Benjamin too.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 06:04:55 PM »

Definitely Democratic or third-party from 1984 on.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 08:34:52 PM »

I would guess that it swung almost equally hard left in 2020 election in part because most of those people are no longer atheists. It's absolutely crazy how many of the militant Amazing Atheist viewers turned into deranged Trump supporters, and then eventually into Christian traditionalist people once Trumpism wedded itself to evangelical Christianity. I've posted extensively about the "leftwing" (and they were leftwing) atheist movement on the internet back in the day, but to put it simply, they never had any principles to begin with, they just had a lot of anger and hatred for society and atheism was a way to justify that anger while also giving them a community of misfits to chat with. Once that died out, the SJW replaced the evangelical as the perpetual villain so they just replaced religion with progressivism and did it all over again. I remember back in 2014-2015 there was a concerted effort to warm these people up to religion, specifically Evangelical Christianity, and it didn't take long for it to work on many of them.
SInNYC

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 10:05:20 AM »

As a militant atheist, there is no way ever that I would have ever ever voted for Trump, and I consider born-again Carter one of the better presidents of the last 50 years. I also prefer son-of-preacher McGovern to Nixon.

I also would have absolutely no problems voting for the Reverend Warnock if I were in GA.
sting in the rafters
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 12:06:14 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2021, 12:28:51 PM by Sweet Chin Music »

As someone who was rather active in those circles during their heyday, there certainly was a response of "oh f---- off" within the community to being told Cortana set unrealistic body standards or GTA appealed to the male fantasy. That said, that well of misogyny had long existed; It very much was a thing of "I'm not letting the f---s who made Wincest and furries popular ruin my video games, let alone have an idea of running general society."

The real culprit if any imo was the long-running strands of Islamophobia in the New Atheist Movement. Numerous figures such as Dawkins, Maher, Sam Harris, The Amazing Atheist, Sargon, and so forth all cut their teeth on criticizing the human rights abuses towards women and non-believers.  

Enter the Don. Trump's image as an amoral reality TV star might've actually helped him in this regard. Instead of railing against homosexuality as an abomination, he was promising to defend the LGBT community in light of the Pulse nightclub shooting. Instead of being the candidate whom would strip away the right to choose (though he made sure to emphasize the anti-abortion plank and importance of appointing justices to the right audiences), the alt-right race-baited by playing up fears of Arab men assaulting white women. Throw in the organic full-time operation /pol/ was running plus Bannon's microtargeting and it is very clear there was a concerted effort to target this group.

Most exit polls still had the atheist/unaffiliated vote breaking ~2/1 for HRC with a relatively high 3rd-party share, relatively in line with the D-R split among the group in public surveys to this day. It does not appear to be much of a coincidence that the demographic profile (young, white, male, likely residing in the Northeast if not the West Coast) also had heavy enthusiasm for Bernie. Did this crucial portion swing to Trump, or rather did the aforementioned above lead to a critical portion either voting 3rd-party or simply stay home?
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 05:29:08 PM »

Some militant atheists dislike left-wing politicians because they think the lefties are too tolerant on fundamentalist islam. I don't know how it would affect the vote in the US.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 02:28:50 PM »

Lol what? R/atheism is practically r/leftwingpolitics.
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 03:35:07 PM »

Back in its heyday, almost a decade ago now, it was full of Extremely Online Ron Paul devotees (see "Ron Paul will make anime real" and all that), many of whom later became radicalized into the far-right.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2021, 05:23:18 PM »

Back in its heyday, almost a decade ago now, it was full of Extremely Online Ron Paul devotees (see "Ron Paul will make anime real" and all that), many of whom later became radicalized into the far-right.

How does one go from being a Ron Paul supporter to a fascist?
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2021, 05:31:28 PM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=459371.0
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2021, 05:39:11 PM »

Then how did r/atheism become the left-wing bastion it is today?
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 05:44:43 PM »

Then how did r/atheism become the left-wing bastion it is today?

As DaleCooper pointed out above, all the far-right types left that community for more insular far-right spheres, and many of them aren't even atheists anymore.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 07:22:48 PM »

Biden. If you pride yourself on being rational, or a humanist, how can you vote for the GOP?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies