IL-06: Casten vs. Newman? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:43:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-06: Casten vs. Newman? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IL-06: Casten vs. Newman?  (Read 5121 times)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« on: October 30, 2021, 09:26:58 AM »

Suddenly I'm a huge Sean Casten fan
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »

Weren't you the one that claimed that Lipinski was an amazing fit for his district? Apparently he wasn't.

Damn right I was. He was a better fit than a far-left Justice Dem who outspent him 2 to 1 with special interest money pouring in from out-of-district, endorsements from multiple local members of Congress and four Presidential candidates, etc.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 07:25:03 PM »

Weren't you the one that claimed that Lipinski was an amazing fit for his district? Apparently he wasn't.

Damn right I was. He was a better fit than a far-left Justice Dem who outspent him 2 to 1 with special interest money pouring in from out-of-district, endorsements from multiple local members of Congress and four Presidential candidates, etc.

A conservadem was a better fit for a D+6 district than a liberal who, need it be reminded, literally beat him in the district!?

Ok, sure Jan.

Yes, he barely lost a low turnout primary race where his opponent counted on a TON more institutional Democratic and special interest group support. I don't think either was a perfect fit for the whole district, but he certainly was a better fit for the working-class areas while she represented the wealthier suburbs.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 12:34:36 PM »

A conservadem was a better fit for a D+6 district than a liberal who, need it be reminded, literally beat him in the district!?

Ok, sure Jan.

Yes, he barely lost a low turnout primary race where his opponent counted on a TON more institutional Democratic and special interest group support. I don't think either was a perfect fit for the whole district, but he certainly was a better fit for the working-class areas while she represented the wealthier suburbs.

I mean the thing is that you believe that Lipinski is the better fit overall though. Given that the both of them competed against each other in close races twice tell me that this district is one that is polarized. It really doesn't matter which one is a better fit for the district since neither Lipinski nor Newman are particularly great fits for the district as a whole rather than the areas of it they simply have more appeal in anyway.

Also, here's a reminder that Lipinski voted against Obamacare (albeit 10 years ago) and it looks like he even tried to defend it which I'm not sure is necessarily unpopular in the areas Lipinski won in.

Yes, I still think he's a better representative for the district, even though he's certainly not perfect for it (see the Obamacare thing). You're right that it's polarized. This race is a good example of why I think smaller and more numerous House districts would be good for the country. The working class Bungalow Belt portion of the district, which has diversified quite a bit but remains very Catholic, shouldn't be in the same district as well-off socially liberal suburbs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies