IL-06: Casten vs. Newman?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:29:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  IL-06: Casten vs. Newman?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: IL-06: Casten vs. Newman?  (Read 4986 times)
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »

Thought this was relevant here. Marie Newman has announced that she will run in the newly drawn IL-06 where Sean Casten resides-

Newman does not live in this district, but her home is a stone's throw away and contains much of her former district (in fact, geographically the plurality of this district's residents are from the old IL-03).

Thoughts on this potential primary?
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 11:34:40 AM »

Should be close either way, I've already seen takes on Twitter about Casten trouncing Newman or vice versa but I don't really see how that'd happen. Rooting for Newman but won't be too upset if she loses.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2021, 11:39:11 AM »

Too evenly divided between Newman- and Casten-friendly turf to be a blowout either way unless one of them totally implodes. I guess this early out my gut says Newman but we'll need a few more months to see properly.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2021, 11:49:03 AM »

Maybe one of them jumps in the race to replace Jesse White instead?
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 11:57:40 AM »

I hope Casten wins, but anyway race will be very close
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 12:11:51 PM »

Did Newman beat Lipinski the parts of her district that are carrying over? Could see some lingering resentment from his voters doing her in, even if Casten obviously isn't Lipinski.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 12:16:27 PM »

I hope Casten wins, but anyway race will be very close
Probably.
I too support Casten, but I wouldn't predict a blowout for either one of them.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 12:33:38 PM »

I’d give Newman the edge as a lot of her base is in this district plus she has lots of ties and fundraising ability and the rare experience of ousting an incumbent before
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 01:51:43 PM »

Did Newman beat Lipinski the parts of her district that are carrying over? Could see some lingering resentment from his voters doing her in, even if Casten obviously isn't Lipinski.

Could be wrong but I believe the Hispanic areas in which Lipinski performed the strongest are not in this new district.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 02:57:24 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2021, 03:01:13 PM by gracile »

Could be wrong but I believe the Hispanic areas in which Lipinski performed the strongest are not in this new district.

It's kind of a wash in that regard. They also got rid of some of Newman's best parts of the city in Bridgeport and kept in Mount Greenwood and Clearing precincts that Lipinski performed well in. Obviously, the dynamics are much different against Casten (I do think she could get at least somewhat of an incumbency boost among certain demographics from her old district - specifically the remaining Hispanic and Arab communities) and much of the new territory added in is up for grabs.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 03:14:07 PM »

Must be remembered that Casten won a contested primary in 2018 with slightly under 30% — not exactly an electoral juggernaut
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 03:38:05 PM »

Both have rather annoying personalities but I'm supporting Newman here. Casten is just too elitist and his gaffes make the party look bad.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2021, 10:31:14 PM »

Newman is one of the Hamas Nine, so I'm hoping to see powerhouse groups jump into this race to ensure she loses her seat. Too many of the others are probably safe, but setting an example is essential.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 02:23:24 AM »

I think whilst in the grand scheme of things it's fairly equal, Newman definitely represents more of the district. I'd give the edge and my support to her.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2021, 09:26:58 AM »

Suddenly I'm a huge Sean Casten fan
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2021, 10:55:24 AM »

Weren't you the one that claimed that Lipinski was an amazing fit for his district? Apparently he wasn't.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2021, 12:07:43 PM »

Baffling. Rooting for Newman but Casten has been fine enough
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2021, 12:48:19 PM »

That is... a bit of an understatement. Are the same people in Clearing or Mt. Greenwood who voted for Lipinski going to vote for a liberal a-theist from DuPage County just because he grades out as five points to the right on some national group's scoring system?
compucomp

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2021, 01:12:57 PM »

That is... a bit of an understatement. Are the same people in Clearing or Mt. Greenwood who voted for Lipinski going to vote for a liberal a-theist from DuPage County just because he grades out as five points to the right on some national group's scoring system?

Maybe they will after the big money groups move in, possibly coordinated by the IL machine, and the area is showered with ads proclaiming that Newman supports The Squad, Defunding the Police, Hamas terrorists, CRT, transgender creeps raping their children, etc.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »

Weren't you the one that claimed that Lipinski was an amazing fit for his district? Apparently he wasn't.

Damn right I was. He was a better fit than a far-left Justice Dem who outspent him 2 to 1 with special interest money pouring in from out-of-district, endorsements from multiple local members of Congress and four Presidential candidates, etc.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2021, 01:23:08 PM »

Damn right I was. He was a better fit than a far-left Justice Dem who outspent him 2 to 1 with special interest money pouring in from out-of-district, endorsements from multiple local members of Congress and four Presidential candidates, etc.

"Far left" in this case meaning not being a homophobe?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2021, 01:25:49 PM »

Maybe they will after the big money groups move in, possibly coordinated by the IL machine, and the area is showered with ads proclaiming that Newman supports The Squad, Defunding the Police, Hamas terrorists, CRT, transgender creeps raping their children, etc.

Seems like explicitly running that kind of campaign would backfire in a Democratic primary. I could see Republicans doing that in an attempt to pull a reverse McCaskill, but there's no guarantee it would work (in the primary or the general).
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2021, 02:03:09 PM »

"Far left" in this case meaning not being a homophobe?

I think if we try really hard, we can find a candidate who supports a woman's right to choose, gay people's right to marry and be treated like any other citizen, and also opposes Jewish children having rockets shot at them.

Hey, I wonder about this Sean Casten guy.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2021, 02:05:41 PM »

The people complaining about supporting "Hamas terrorists" as a major liability have clearly never been to the Southwest burbs.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2021, 02:48:50 PM »

Seems like explicitly running that kind of campaign would backfire in a Democratic primary. I could see Republicans doing that in an attempt to pull a reverse McCaskill, but there's no guarantee it would work (in the primary or the general).
Especially given the (well-publicized, so there's really no excuse) reason Newman is particularly sensitive to trans issues. May as well directly attack her family, see how far that'll get you in the primary.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies