Anybody watching "Succession"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:44:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Anybody watching "Succession"?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anybody watching "Succession"?  (Read 1143 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2023, 02:49:35 AM »

Jeremy Strong was the best for me in this episode. I rewatched the last scene of Season 1 too and he and Cox were on a different class. For all their clash of styles they are genuine pros.

There's a tendency to think of their contrasting styles in terms of nationality, but that's an error: Strong is a (quite literal) disciple of Daniel Day-Lewis and his particular form of Method Acting has more in common with Day-Lewis's (or that of the late Pete Postlethwaite) than the well-known American Method Actors, even if they were obviously an early inspiration. Cox is interesting as while his range as an actor isn't anything like what it was when he was younger, but when he is in his now reduced range he remains very, very good.

A tendency shared by Cox in his interview with Alaistair Campbell as he think it's because "Americans make it all about the individual" Tongue , otherwise he is a fascinating personality in the sense that he incarnates a classic Labour --> SNP social democratic switch voter after Iraq/Blair but has actually some very interesting views on wanting a federation of british isle states, is quite vehement in defending aspects of Labour too etc.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2023, 10:53:27 AM »

5. Shiv - Easily the worst sibling, a depraved monster. She has inherited her father's traits. I think it's interesting that her nickname is also used as a verb that means "to stab", which suits her perfectly. I suspect she was coached to act like a narcissist in the extreme - that's what she is. Her other two siblings are much more ambiguous and come off as the damaged children of narcissists.

I honest to god cannot take any "Shiv is the worst of the siblings" arguments seriously. The only one who is clearly distinct from the rest is Connor, whose worst quality is that he is delusional.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2023, 11:51:16 AM »

Connor - Many people mistakenly feel sorry for Connor because it is sad that his father neglected him. This was a tremendous blessing for him and it is why he is the only sibling who resembles a remotely normal person. Is he an embarrassment? Sure but he explicitly desires companionship, love, bonding etc.

The best evidence for this is his monologue at karaoke where he claims that he doesn't need any of those things.

On the subject of Connor, as amusing as his political ambitions are, I am very confused as to how much they're supposed to matter. I was under the impression that he was running a Steve Forbes-style vanity campaign for the Republican nomination, but this week's episode suggested that a presidential general election is imminent. (It doesn't really make sense that Connor had a wedding on a boat in New York if it's late October already, but TV shows normally don't pay attention to this sort of thing.)

I am hoping that the politics stuff doesn't play a significant role in the narrative the rest of the way, because a) American politics is very difficult to fictionalize convincingly these days since the real thing is stranger than fiction, and b) electoral politics is one aspect of American society that the British writers of this show have never had a strong grasp on, anyway. The episode last season at the Republican conference is the only bad episode the show has ever done.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2023, 04:38:29 AM »

Connor - Many people mistakenly feel sorry for Connor because it is sad that his father neglected him. This was a tremendous blessing for him and it is why he is the only sibling who resembles a remotely normal person. Is he an embarrassment? Sure but he explicitly desires companionship, love, bonding etc.

The best evidence for this is his monologue at karaoke where he claims that he doesn't need any of those things.

On the subject of Connor, as amusing as his political ambitions are, I am very confused as to how much they're supposed to matter. I was under the impression that he was running a Steve Forbes-style vanity campaign for the Republican nomination, but this week's episode suggested that a presidential general election is imminent. (It doesn't really make sense that Connor had a wedding on a boat in New York if it's late October already, but TV shows normally don't pay attention to this sort of thing.)

I am hoping that the politics stuff doesn't play a significant role in the narrative the rest of the way, because a) American politics is very difficult to fictionalize convincingly these days since the real thing is stranger than fiction, and b) electoral politics is one aspect of American society that the British writers of this show have never had a strong grasp on, anyway. The episode last season at the Republican conference is the only bad episode the show has ever done.

He's running for the Libertarian Party, not the GOP.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2023, 02:58:53 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2023, 03:07:22 PM by Filuwaúrdjan »

I'm not sure if they're necessarily going to do anything with it or if the idea is just to wind up people theorizing on the internet, but Colin is one of the only characters who knows about the incident who isn't family and he has been a much more visually prominent character in this season than before: as well as the 'you're my best pal' stuff, we've had lingering shots on him in two episodes in a row in which there was no reason to necessarily feature him, and we have the business of Logan gifting him an extremely expensive watch.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2023, 09:14:33 AM »

I admit, I am somehow fascinated by the Bernie Sanders character and his Staffer Nate. I wonder how the Succession version of Jacobin reacted to what would be the equivalent of Bernie hiring Elisabeth Murdoch as his chief of staff. Do you think Nate gets trolled on twitter by DSA members?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies