Anybody watching "Succession"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:17:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Anybody watching "Succession"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Anybody watching "Succession"?  (Read 1132 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2021, 07:38:56 AM »

Highly recommended btw.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2021, 05:53:04 PM »

Yes, one of the best shows on television right now.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2022, 03:37:13 PM »

Watched the first episode last night, would be interested to hear y'all's thoughts. My main takeaway was "I would very much like for these people to drown in a lake," but I'm sure I'll have more thoughtful conclusions as I think about it.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2022, 04:17:09 PM »

Does that get available on Netflix?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2022, 04:35:49 PM »

It's an HBO show, I think.
diptheriadan

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2022, 04:39:18 PM »

I've watched the first five-ish minutes of it three times, or however long it is until Failson comes on screen. At that point I'm just overcome with an overwhelming sense of cringe and I have to stop.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2022, 08:56:08 PM »

That said, I watched the first episode and was impressed, but not enough to get HBO Max for it.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2022, 08:51:46 AM »

No but I watched the family guy episode that references it.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2022, 10:31:47 AM »

Watched the first episode last night, would be interested to hear y'all's thoughts. My main takeaway was "I would very much like for these people to drown in a lake," but I'm sure I'll have more thoughtful conclusions as I think about it.

An understandable thought. Basically season 1 is kendall being so consistently out of his depth and thrown in the ringer you both get the schadenfreude of his fail and, in your own way, feel very sorry for him. I desperately want to make a spoiler here for the season finale here, but I'll let you get to it if you want.

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2023, 07:51:35 AM »

Back this Sunday, getting on hype train

Did you end up finishing it?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2023, 08:03:58 AM »

It does amuse me that the critical final episodes of the first season were filmed and set in Herefordshire. Jesse Armstrong is, of course, from the Marches himself, specifically Oswestry.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2023, 08:35:50 AM »

Back this Sunday, getting on hype train

Did you end up finishing it?

I didn't, though I should.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2023, 08:53:11 AM »

Drowning in a lake, you say? Interesting.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2023, 12:15:55 PM »

It's a series that only really gets going when that boardroom scene happens, so understandable if people watched the pilot and E2 and thought "interesting but meh".

T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2023, 07:32:59 AM »

Going to be starting in April or May. Not going to read posts in here, as I'm trying to go in as blind as possible.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2023, 02:30:44 PM »
« Edited: March 29, 2023, 07:47:39 AM by Cath »

Thoughts on the season premiere?

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2023, 07:33:43 PM »

Also did Nicholas Braun get a nosejob?
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2023, 11:46:55 AM »

I, personally, am a big fan of this TV show because it combines my three favorite past-times:
1. saying horrible, offensive things when engaging in gossip about others
2. satirizing various kinds of awful rich people (notice that any cameos of proles show them in a positive light!)
3. studying narcissism personality disorder
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2023, 02:34:33 PM »

I watched the first season on HBO Max. Its just too boring for me.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 06:25:21 AM »

This week's ep had some earth-shattering performances.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2023, 06:45:16 AM »

The previous week's episode contained an extended and very obvious reference to Dennis Potter's Karaoke. If you know that TV drama well, then you won't be surprised as to what happened on this week's episode.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2023, 04:18:45 PM »

Give Sarah Snook her Emmy!!!
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2023, 03:41:16 AM »

This week's episode was exceptional TV, I was more stunned than emotional - it didn't leave a pit in my stomach. But it did leave me with a certain darkness. One is the fact that it is a realistic portrayal of something many of us will likely have to one day go through or at least fear. The other aspect was the Connor plotline throughout it including that end scene - from the reason he's stressing about the cake, to the reaction to the main even of the episode, to that final scene, it added a layer of sadness about him that's understated given he's often been used as comic relief.

Give Sarah Snook her Emmy!!!

I find her to be the more overrated one actually. Jeremy Strong was the best for me in this episode. I rewatched the last scene of Season 1 too and he and Cox were on a different class. For all their clash of styles they are genuine pros.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2023, 11:04:02 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2023, 11:08:30 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Not gonna lie, it has surprised me that people evaluate the characters in Succession as they would in other tv shows. I think they are plainly portrayed as psychological basket cases and the way in which they are broken isn't sympathetic, as they lack empathy, are purely self-interested etc. They leave a trail of destruction behind them. The children of Logan are sympathetic in one way: they did not choose to be reared by sickos or to inherit pathological genes.  But they are responsible for their deplorable behavior. My own evaluation of the characters is below, which is more detailed.

1. Overall impression - due to their upbringing, where they were raised by maximal narcissist mother (terrifying actually) and an abusive narcissistic father, they are unable to form real relationships with anyone, to 'bond'. Three out of the four have severe attachment problems, though they vary.
2. Connor - Many people mistakenly feel sorry for Connor because it is sad that his father neglected him. This was a tremendous blessing for him and it is why he is the only sibling who resembles a remotely normal person. Is he an embarrassment? Sure but he explicitly desires companionship, love, bonding etc. He is the only sibling who is disinterested in the family business and who sticks around because he wants to be included. Last thing I'll say is that it's my theory that his relative normal behavior is evidence that the mother of the other three siblings is the main antagonist of the show in practice (horrifying c-word!!).
3. Kendall - I think he's plainly the most sympathetic child. Is he a walking catastrophe who is a danger to everyone around him? Sure but he is portrayed as the one who is capable of empathy in fleeting moments, he seems like a person, albeit a remarkably self-absorbed one who is also an idiot. He comes off as having "Borderline" personality disorder.
4. Roman - if it wasn't for his total inability to be nice to other people, Roman might be the most sympathetic character. Why? All of his pathologies are clearly the product of extreme toxic abuse and his pathologies are particularly devastating to his life. Namely, he cannot have anything resembling a normal romantic relationship, it is not feasible. One senses he cannot have friends, cannot swap emotions. However, because he has extreme attachment problems, he behaves very, very badly - how can you sympathize with this imp who flings crap?
5. Shiv - Easily the worst sibling, a depraved monster. She has inherited her father's traits. I think it's interesting that her nickname is also used as a verb that means "to stab", which suits her perfectly. I suspect she was coached to act like a narcissist in the extreme - that's what she is. Her other two siblings are much more ambiguous and come off as the damaged children of narcissists.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2023, 12:14:22 PM »

Jeremy Strong was the best for me in this episode. I rewatched the last scene of Season 1 too and he and Cox were on a different class. For all their clash of styles they are genuine pros.

There's a tendency to think of their contrasting styles in terms of nationality, but that's an error: Strong is a (quite literal) disciple of Daniel Day-Lewis and his particular form of Method Acting has more in common with Day-Lewis's (or that of the late Pete Postlethwaite) than the well-known American Method Actors, even if they were obviously an early inspiration. Cox is interesting as while his range as an actor isn't anything like what it was when he was younger, but when he is in his now reduced range he remains very, very good.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies