If you preferred policy for abortion mapped to your preferred policy on diets
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 10:22:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If you preferred policy for abortion mapped to your preferred policy on diets
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If you preferred policy for abortion mapped to your preferred policy on diets  (Read 558 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »

What kind of food would be permitted or allowed by you ideally?

For example, someone who supports abortion up to birth would be OK if with meat being eaten in any so long as it wasn't completely human.

Someone who wants all abortion and contraception banned would probably want all non-plant food to be illegal but be on the fence about mushrooms.

Someone who was solidly but reasonably pro-life would be OK with eggs and milk and MAYBE insect analogs but no poultry, meat, or even sea food.

A moderate pro-choicer might be OK with chicken and ADULT beef, but no pork or veal.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 01:23:33 PM »

That's basically just what I am now.

I am enthusiastically pro-choice and love a good steak.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 01:42:18 PM »

That's basically just what I am now.

I am enthusiastically pro-choice and love a good steak.

The only rational position.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 11:01:27 PM »

Mapping strict pro-life views onto complete veganism seems like a failure to compare like with like to me. Milk can be extracted from living beings pretty much indefinitely, and most chicken eggs are not even fertilized.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 11:12:11 PM »

Firmly pro-life here, I'm swallowing beef as I was typing this post.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2021, 11:25:05 PM »

This is an extraordinarily dumb premise, but I guess I fit it well enough given that I'm a pescetarian with very conflicted feelings about abortion.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 12:55:16 AM »

I guess I'm "consistent" in that I'm pro-choice and think veganism as a moral imperative is dumb, but these two things just have nothing to do with each other. It's like nobody can argue an issue on its own merits anymore and can only play "gotcha" and try to spot alleged inconsistencies with other issues.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 04:59:06 AM »

I am a "abortion is bad but is a necessary evil and should be safe, legal, and rare" type of pro-choice, and vegtarian. I'm not vegan, because meat requires killing while for example dairy does not, therefore dairy can theoreically be done ethically (though unfortunately it often isn't today in factory farms) while meat can't (yet, until we master lab-grown meat). I also do eat eggs, because they are almost always unfertilized, therefore there is no death happening.

So I guess I'm consistent? I'm not totally sure the issue is comparable, though. A much better comparison is abortion and capital punishment.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 06:48:39 AM »

Pro-abortion vegetarian, but organism is the morally correct position
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2021, 10:40:38 AM »

A much better comparison is abortion and capital punishment.

Complete agreement here - being "pro-life" *and also* pro-death penalty has always been a massive "red flag" for me. With very, very few exceptions.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2021, 11:07:38 AM »

So I guess I'm consistent? I'm not totally sure the issue is comparable, though. A much better comparison is abortion and capital punishment.

That's still a massive reach to me. A pro lifer could just as easily say "you're fine with killing an innocent baby but don't want to kill murderers". The issue is that I don't count an unborn baby as a person until it's actually born and pro lifers do, in either case your position on that has nothing to do with your position on the death penalty. Again, let's just argue the merits of issues and not just constantly look for alleged "double standards".
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2021, 07:24:17 PM »

That's still a massive reach to me. A pro lifer could just as easily say "you're fine with killing an innocent baby but don't want to kill murderers". The issue is that I don't count an unborn baby as a person until it's actually born and pro lifers do, in either case your position on that has nothing to do with your position on the death penalty. Again, let's just argue the merits of issues and not just constantly look for alleged "double standards".
Life is complicated. Politics is complicated. "Double standards" is in itself a subjective concept. What might be a double standard to one person might not be to another.
Not that double standard is an entirely meaningless concept in politics, but who are we to judge? Shouldn't we display some humility?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 08:58:16 PM »

I support legal abortion up until a certain point and I oppose veal. I am not a vegetarian but I am also very opposed to cruelty in general.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 08:51:32 AM »

I believe abortion is morally wrong and I have basically stopped eating land animals' meat, although I do not identify as "pro-life" or "pescetarian" or anything like that because those expressions sound stupid to me. Then again, the premise of this thread is also very stupid.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies