Dems and GOP to hold SC primary on different days?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 02:19:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Dems and GOP to hold SC primary on different days?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dems and GOP to hold SC primary on different days?  (Read 793 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2006, 03:22:06 PM »

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else.  Traditionally, the GOP has held the SC primary after IA and NH, but before every other state.  In 2000, I believe it was held in mid-February.  However, by 2004, numerous states had moved up their primaries to the first Tuesday of February, and SC moved with them.  IA and NH were both moved up even earlier.  All of this was relevant for the Dems, but not the GOP, because Bush had no opposition for the GOP nomination.

When the Dems announced their '08 primary calendar, it went IA-NV-NH-SC all in January, followed by more states in February and beyond.  I was assuming that the GOP primary would be the same day as the Democratic one, but apparently not, according to this:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/politics/15725203.htm

"Democrats are slated for Jan. 29, 2008, a week after New Hampshire's primary.

South Carolina Republicans have planned a Feb. 2 primary. However, that date could be moved earlier, Dawson says."

If it isn't moved, then I guess the calendar would be:

Jan. 14 Iowa (both parties)
Jan. 19 Nevada (Dems only)
Jan. 22 New Hampshire (both parties)
Jan. 29 South Carolina (Dems only)
Feb. 2 South Carolina (GOP only)
Feb. 5 probably about 10 states holding primaries for both parties this day, exact list TBD

It's unclear whether holding SC just three days before so many other states are voting would make it more important or less important.  My guess is more important, because the aura of victory from winning SC wouldn't have any time to fade.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 04:52:34 PM »

Unlike most states, the presidential primary (or caucus) is entirely up to the parties to conduct in South Carolina, including the issue of how to staff and pay for them.  The GOP and the Dems have held the contest on different days before, so if they do so in 2008 it will be nothing new.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies