Twitter suspends Jim Banks's account
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 19, 2024, 09:18:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Twitter suspends Jim Banks's account
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Twitter suspends Jim Banks's account  (Read 1959 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2021, 03:57:12 PM »

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/twitter-suspends-indiana-rep-jim-banks-official-account-80758121

Twitter suspended an Indiana congressman’s official account after removing a post about a transgender Biden administration official over a violation of the social media company’s rules.

Twitter's action Saturday came after Republican Rep. Jim Banks posted tweets last week regarding Dr. Rachel Levine becoming the first openly transgender four-star officer in the U.S. uniformed services. Levine is also the nation’s assistant secretary of health.

Banks had responded to the U.S. surgeon general congratulating Levine on her promotion in the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps by writing: “The title of first female four-star officer gets taken by a man.”
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 04:20:15 PM »

Literally 1985
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2021, 04:28:25 PM »

There is nothing inherently hateful about disagreeing with someone when they claim they are of a certain gender.

Is it hateful if your kid comes to you and claims he is a banana, only for you to correct him that he is a human?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2021, 04:36:31 PM »

There is nothing inherently hateful about disagreeing with someone when they claim they are of a certain gender.

Is it hateful if your kid comes to you and claims he is a banana, only for you to correct him that he is a human?

Unless people can actually be born as bananas, then you have come up with possibly the most asinine analogy on the subject, and that's quite a feat.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 04:47:29 PM »

Can't be.  The word "transgender" didn't exist in 1985.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 04:47:33 PM »

Ugh, and here I was worrying that my kid would be the other kind of fruit.

Or so Big Brother would have us believe.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 04:49:38 PM »

Glad to see it's 2021 and bigotry is doing very well for itself on this "enlightened" forum.

Half of the anti-trans peeps on here aren't that fond of the gays, so I guess it's a LGBTQ problem...

Get a life, guys, and stop picking on 0.05% of the population.  Go after the Big Boys at Google or Goldman Sachs... and stop beating dead horses.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 05:05:00 PM »

Do you realize how unhinged you sound when you make posts like this? Twitter is a private company that can make it's only rules. What would actually be problematic is if the government could come in and tell them who they could and could not ban. Besides, there are plenty of cheaper, right-wing centered platforms that Banks can post on if he doesn't like Twitter's rules.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 05:10:38 PM »

Do you realize how unhinged you sound when you make posts like this? Twitter is a private company that can make it's only rules. What would actually be problematic is if the government could come in and tell them who they could and could not ban. Besides, there are plenty of cheaper, right-wing centered platforms that Banks can post on if he doesn't like Twitter's rules.

I mean "literally 1984" is a meme typically used to mock people who complain about censorship so I wouldn't call this "unhinged"
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2021, 05:24:16 PM »

I thought libertarians are cool with private companies doing what they want?
Trans Rights Are Human Rights
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2021, 05:25:44 PM »

It did, you just didn't know where to look.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2021, 05:27:55 PM »

So just to summarize.  Republicans are ok with private companies doing whatever they want when it comes to polluting the environment, spreading misinformation, and having sweatshops but in 3rd world countries.  But moderating an obvious bigot is a bridge too far and they shouldn't have that power.
LAB-LIB
Dale Bumpers
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2021, 05:30:44 PM »

Oh FFS

I just can't get over the fact that with all of the problems we have, that a member of congress decided to take the time out of his day to engage in such transphobic rhetoric. Losing his Twitter account is too mild of a punishment - he deserves to lose his seat.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2021, 05:52:53 PM »

Oh ... Republicans have been bigoted a$$holes long before 1985.
Wink
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 06:27:52 PM »

I mean "literally 1984" is a meme typically used to mock people who complain about censorship so I wouldn't call this "unhinged"

Looks like the hinge is on the other foot.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2021, 06:33:04 PM »

Did this idiot "congressman" delete the tweet yet?  If he has courage of conviction he should refuse to and get off twitter.  But I won't hold my breath. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2021, 07:13:43 PM »

According to Wikipedia, the term has been around since 1965
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2021, 07:19:35 PM »

Not worth a Twitter suspension. Playing right into the Republican argument about big tech too. Nice.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2021, 07:32:48 PM »

Not worth a Twitter suspension. Playing right into the Republican argument about big tech too. Nice.

It doesn't matter what you think is worth a suspension because you don't make the rules at Twitter. If it is against their rules they are within their rights to remove the offending content and restrict the account. There are apps like Parler that right-wingers can be as bigoted as they want to on.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 07:40:45 PM »

It doesn't matter what you think is worth a suspension because you don't make the rules at Twitter. If it is against their rules they are within their rights to remove the offending content and restrict the account. There are apps like Parler that right-wingers can be as bigoted as they want to on.

No one said Twitter didn't have the right to suspend him. They have the right, I think it's dumb. You're getting increasingly insufferable as more people call you out.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2021, 07:43:32 PM »

Lil Boosie called Lil Nas X a f*****t yesterday and told him to kill himself. His account was not suspended.. It's clear twitter isn't consistent in their enforcement and that trans matters are focused on first because they are trendy in white liberal communities atm.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2021, 08:23:38 PM »

No one said Twitter didn't have the right to suspend him. They have the right, I think it's dumb. You're getting increasingly insufferable as more people call you out.

And you have been insufferable the entire time you have been on this board. If you are going to go personal don't expect to not get what you give back. These days it's hard to tell who actually understands that no one has a constitutional right to a Twitter account.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2021, 08:28:00 PM »

If you want to talk about double standards it's insane what blue avatars get away with here.  Then if you say anything to them they tell mods they are being bullied.  I currently have someone who has made up all kinds of lies about, said I might be a murderer, and follows me around every thread calling me a hack and a democratic troll, repeatedly, and not so much as a post has been deleted.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2021, 09:29:23 PM »

Lil Boosie called Lil Nas X a f*****t yesterday and told him to kill himself. His account was not suspended.. It's clear twitter isn't consistent in their enforcement and that trans matters are focused on first because they are trendy in white liberal communities atm.

The standards should be higher when it comes to people who play a direct role in public policymaking.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2021, 09:38:20 PM »

The standards should be higher when it comes to people who play a direct role in public policymaking.

Public official or not, I tend to think encouraging suicide is far, far worse than misgendering someone or calling a gay man a "sodomite" for example, but to each their own.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies