Opinion of Tom Lehrer?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:39:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Tom Lehrer?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: The one and only.
Incredible FF (sane, normal)

HP (wrong)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Opinion of Tom Lehrer?  (Read 609 times)
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 22, 2021, 02:39:34 AM »

For the uninitiated, Tom Lehrer is one of the greats, a pioneer of modern satire. Mathematician, satirist, singer-songwriter, and all-around absolute boss, he walked so that we may all run.

Worked at the NSA before anyone knew it existed.

Invented the Jello shot.

Multiple sources[1][2] attribute the creation of the modern jello shot to American satirist and musician Tom Lehrer, who claimed to have invented the jello shot as a way to circumvent a ban on alcohol at a navy base he was stationed at. According to Lehrer, he and a friend were barred from bringing alcoholic beverages to a Christmas party at a naval base, and so the two mixed orange Jell-O with vodka in cups so that the mixture could be smuggled into the party.[9] Comedian Luke Ski later wrote a song celebrating Lehrer's creation of the shot.[9]

Wrote and sang incredible songs such as "I Got It from Agnes", "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park", "Wernher von Braun", and "The Masochism Tango" during the McCarthy era!

Banned from Australia by the Boy Scouts.

Notable quotes:
It was a stint teaching at Harvard in 1953, where he entertained fellow professors and students with his songs, that he felt encouraged to spend $15 on a recording session, out of which came Songs by Tom Lehrer. He couldn’t get airplay for it because it was judged too controversial, so he flogged the record around the campus for $3. Interest spread by word of mouth. Or, as he put it, “My songs spread slowly. Like herpes, rather than ebola.”

The Onion: I'd long heard that you stopped performing as a form of protest, because Henry Kissinger won the Nobel Peace Prize.

Tom Lehrer: I don't know how that got started. I've said that political satire became obsolete when Henry Kissinger was awarded the Nobel Prize. For one thing, I quit long before that happened, so historically it doesn't make any sense. I've heard that quoted back to me, but I've also heard it quoted that I was dead, so there you are. You can't believe anything you read. That was just an off-hand remark somebody picked up, and now it's been quoted and quoted, and therefore misquoted. I've heard that I stopped because Richard Nixon was elected, or because I got put away in an insane asylum, or whatever. It was just a remark about political satire, because it was true. Not literally, but everything is so weird in politics that it's very hard to be funny about it, I think. Years ago, it was much easier: We had Eisenhower to kick around. That was much funnier than Nixon.

And in 2002 he remarked, still less optimistically: “Things I once thought were funny are scary now. I often feel like a resident of Pompeii who has been asked for some humorous comments on lava.”

In 2003, Lehrer commented that his particular brand of political satire is more difficult in the modern world: "The real issues I don't think most people touch. The Clinton jokes are all about Monica Lewinsky and all that stuff and not about the important things, like the fact that he wouldn't ban land mines ... I'm not tempted to write a song about George W. Bush. I couldn't figure out what sort of song I would write. That's the problem: I don't want to satirize George Bush and his puppeteers, I want to vaporize them."

In a February 2008 phone call, Gene Weingarten of The Washington Post interviewed Lehrer off the record. When Weingarten asked if there was anything he could print for the record, Lehrer responded, "Just tell the people that I am voting for Obama."

In 2012 the US rapper 2 Chainz sampled Lehrer’s song The Old Dope Peddler (“He gives the kids free samples, Because he knows full well, That today's young innocent faces, Will be tomorrow's clientele.”). In response to the record company’s request for permission to use the sample, Lehrer responded, "As sole copyright owner… I grant you motherf*****s permission to do this. Please give my regards to Mr. Chainz, or may I call him 2?”

And he's still kicking, the legend! Hasn't said a peep about Trump, I suppose we're beyond satire at this point.

He released all his work into the public domain last year, it's all available for download here till December 31, 2024: https://tomlehrersongs.com/
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 08:40:09 AM »

An incredibly funny and brilliant performer, and how could you not mention "The Elements"? Smiley  I owned a couple of his LPs many years ago, and still have a book of his sheet music ("Too Many Songs by Tom Lehrer").
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 04:22:10 PM »

Just discovered that he wrote a satirical Harvard fight song as a sophomore on campus in 1945, and they still play it!

Hilarious stuff.

Fight fiercely, Harvard
Fight, fight, fight!
Demonstrate to them our skill
Albeit they possess the might
Nonetheless we have the will

How we shall celebrate our victory
We shall invite the whole team up for tea
(How jolly!)
Hurl that spheroid down the field, and
Fight, fight, fight!

Fight fiercely, Harvard
Fight, fight, fight!
Impress them with our prowess, do!
Oh, fellows, do not let the crimson down
Be of stout heart and true
Come on, chaps, fight for Harvard's glorious name
Won't it be peachy if we win the game?

Let's try not to injure them, but
Fight, fight, fight!
(Let's not be rough though)
And do fight fiercely!
Fight, fight, fight!

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2021, 04:30:45 PM »

A genius, period.

"Don't say that he's hypocritical,
Say rather that he's apolitical,
"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department!" says Wernher von Braun..."
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 05:04:58 PM »

A genius, period.

"Don't say that he's hypocritical,
Say rather that he's apolitical,
"Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down?
That's not my department!" says Wernher von Braun..."

In honor of the line "who cares where they come down", I have to offer a story that was told to me by a guy I worked with in my early days in the aerospace/defense arena, an old-timer who had been at Cape Canaveral in the very early days of the U.S. space program. 

He was working at a console in the operations center during Alan Shepard's flight (the first U.S. manned spaceflight).  Standing right behind him were none other than Wernher von Braun and Kurt Debus, the first director of what became known as the Kennedy Space Center.  As tracking information came in, numbers were continually written and erased, and manual map plots were updated.  von Braun kept calculating on his slide rule and finally turned to Debus, pointed to a spot on the map and said, "the capsule will impact right there."  And it did.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 07:11:43 PM »

Video Link

Massive FF!
LastMcGovernite
Ringorules
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 09:11:09 AM »

Love Tom Lehrer. I first heard his stuff on, of all places, a cruise ship when I was 17. On the last night of the cruise, a pianist just played out 5 or 6 of his songs and my cynical smarmy little teenage heart just fell in love. When I teach college classes, my aim is usually to be 50% Captain Picard, 40% Neil DeGrasse Tyson, and 10% Tom Lehrer.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2021, 03:18:14 PM »

I only know him because of the song Whatever became of Hubert? about Hubert Humphrey.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies