Which of the following would have the easiest time getting elected POTUS?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 04:17:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which of the following would have the easiest time getting elected POTUS?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
An avowed atheist

A Muslim

A practitioner of Wicca

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Which of the following would have the easiest time getting elected POTUS?  (Read 507 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 18, 2021, 02:05:00 PM »

Vote.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 02:11:46 PM »

I'd say practitioner of Wicca, Muslim and the Atheist as dead last in that order.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 02:30:58 PM »

The atheist. A lot of religious people in this country aren’t actually that religious, and the Republicans already have a lock on the really religious ones anyways
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 02:40:19 PM »

I mean, it's impossible to answer this question in a vacuum because religion isn't most people's (even Republicans') number one priority. Character, record, policy, as well as other factors, are always going to play into it more.

But in general, here's what polling shows (taking into account the volatility of these kinds of polls depending on how it's worded, margin of error, sampling size etc.)

As of 2016, 60% of the country would vote for a "generally well-qualified" atheist. 66% of the country would vote for a generally well-qualified Moslem.

I wasn't able to find any polling on those willing to vote for a well-qualified pagan, but since pagans comprise such an incredibly tiny percentage of the U.S. population (and even smaller among politicians who are potential presidential candidates), I don't think it matters all that much anyway.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 03:04:40 PM »

The atheist. A lot of religious people in this country aren’t actually that religious, and the Republicans already have a lock on the really religious ones anyways

Clearly this. trump could say "yeah I don't actually believe in any of that religious crap" tomorrow, and his odds of being elected wouldn't change one bit.

Then a Muslim. Would have to overcome a lot of prejudice, but playing off of a lot of similar Abrahamic themes, could conceivably make it work.

No wiccan could ever be elected. Automatic disqualifier.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 03:31:08 PM »

Clearly this. trump could say "yeah I don't actually believe in any of that religious crap" tomorrow, and his odds of being elected wouldn't change one bit.

Then a Muslim. Would have to overcome a lot of prejudice, but playing off of a lot of similar Abrahamic themes, could conceivably make it work.

No wiccan could ever be elected. Automatic disqualifier.

Trump’s chances would be hurt a bit, but I don’t think many but the most rabid cultists are actually under the delusion he is really religious anyway, so it probably wouldn’t hurt too bad.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 03:51:55 PM »

I would enthusiastically vote for John Dule. He'd better give us tax cuts, though.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 06:18:36 PM »

I look at it like this: if they're Republicans, all of them can potentially win. If they're Democrats, they'll all lose.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 06:24:23 PM »

I look at it like this: if they're Republicans, all of them can potentially win. If they're Democrats, they'll all lose.

Came to say exactly this.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 08:14:26 PM »

Well, a lot of people on the right may stupidly think that we already had our 1st Muslim President from 2009-2017, but at least it's pretty obvious that the 45th was at least agnostic at a minimum - if not an outright atheist - behind closed doors.

In any event, I'd expect to see an inoffensive agnostic - if not an openly atheist - President get elected in my lifetime, & I wonder if a potential Muslim candidate's ethnic background being from, say, Bosnia would positively affect their chances?
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 10:02:19 PM »

Atheist. I think most people know Trump isn't really religious anyway, and religion is on the decline. It's not the 2000s anymore
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 11:12:36 PM »

Neither Obama nor Trump believes in God.
Thank you for being a friend...
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 11:16:03 PM »

The one that doesn't believe in a God.  That person could win the blue states and pick off maybe a few of the swing ones - but they better go out of their way to say how much they respect Christian teachings, and even appear at Christian churches in the South as often as possible to say that atheist doesn't mean "God hater", it just means you don't believe in deities.

The Muslim would be arguably the hardest.  Even the Wicca could pass that off as a "quirk" or something, but full on Islam would be very hard... sad to say because I believe that a Muslim could be President and that the religious faith of the person is not important.

The Wicca thing is too far out, even though I used to know a girl in the high school cafeteria I think who practiced it and she was nice.  I think she'd be a great person to walk around Salem with, but I'm not sure of her political views.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 11:32:58 PM »

Neither Obama nor Trump believes in God.
I hope so
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 12:25:45 AM »

I mean I'm an atheist so I'm fine with it. Bill Clinton might not either. Biden and W Bush both seem personally religious. Prior to Bill Clinton hard to tell since everybody was religious.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2021, 12:45:07 AM »

Ro Khanna is ready for higher office, he can run for Gov in 2026 and become Prez but so many others are ready to do that
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 05:02:10 AM »

People are more easily manipulated/changeable than has often been made out, so yes, a qualified candidate of any of those descriptions could conceivably have a legitimising effect. But as usual polarisation and the loudest voices being against would obfuscate such an effect.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 09:00:48 AM »

I mean I'm an atheist so I'm fine with it. Bill Clinton might not either. Biden and W Bush both seem personally religious. Prior to Bill Clinton hard to tell since everybody was religious.

I mean Thomas Jefferson was a deist (not quite an atheist but close, especially for the day) who ridiculed much of the Bible and literally cut it up into pieces to get rid of what he saw as supernatural nonsense. And Abraham Lincoln never belonged to any church, and was described by those who knew him as lacking in faith; Mary Todd even said after he died that he could not be called a Christian.

But it might have actually mattered less back then. This country has fluctuated significantly in religiosity over time. When it was founded a lot of people actually were not very religious at all; various revivals and “Great Awakenings” would change that over time, though now we are once again in a period of religious decline.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies