Joe Manchin goes OFF on ‘out of touch with WV’ progressives, says he won’t back $3.5T bill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:29:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Manchin goes OFF on ‘out of touch with WV’ progressives, says he won’t back $3.5T bill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Joe Manchin goes OFF on ‘out of touch with WV’ progressives, says he won’t back $3.5T bill  (Read 2621 times)
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 11:06:53 PM »

...Alright, so pragmatically speaking, what should we be able to get out of a 1.5 to 2 trillion bill?
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2021, 11:11:13 PM »
« Edited: October 16, 2021, 09:57:10 AM by R.P. McM »

...Alright, so pragmatically speaking, what should we be able to get out of a 1.5 to 2 trillion bill?

If we can't get climate legislation due to the blinkered voters of WV, then nothing should pass. What a worthless state. Yes, the voters of MN can fund their own infrastructure investments. What happens to the parasitic state of WV is no longer my concern.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2021, 11:24:36 PM »

I really hope that Medicare is expanded at least.

No offense, but I could care less about rewarding this current generation of seniors for their own despicable decisions. Climate change needs to be the priority, not comforting the comfortable, and telling the rest of us to go f**k ourselves. White boomers don't deserve any sympathy, or any more entitlements.

This is disgusting, seniors deserve full support after their hard work in life. Let's treat everybody with respect and decency regardless of their political views.

Nope. Because that generation of seniors made numerous political decisions that impoverished future generations for their own immediate benefit. So what happens to them isn't my problem. Yes, in a world with infinite resources, we could worry about Boomers. But that isn't this world. They've done an awful job of leading this country, and now they just need to go away. Treating everyone with respect regardless of their political views includes Nazis, Kluxers, and MAGAts. No thanks. Accountability means that you get punished for your disgraceful political decisions. Sorry, deal with it.

No this is sickening.

No, it's the truth.

America is one country, that's not changing, so it's up to everyone to do their bit to respect others and realise that everyone has to do well for the country to succeed.

LOL. Yes, those of us who want pluralistic democracy and those of us who want a Trumpist dictatorship are the same people /s. Stop it. This isn't one country, and it hasn't been for quite some time.

The idea of punishing people who vote for politicians you disagree with is ridiculous. [...]

Oh gawd. Over and over and over again, throughout world history, people have been punished for supporting disgraceful political efforts. WTF do you think the Confederates and the Nazis represented?! Yeah, sorry, this is just politics 101 — you pay the price for advancing abominable viewpoints. It's democratic accountability, and it's a good thing.
You are technically correct but the problem is that we are constrained by this current political system so that if we don’t pass something, that will be a victory for the republicans.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2021, 12:43:15 AM »

No offense, but I could care less about rewarding this current generation of seniors for their own despicable decisions. Climate change needs to be the priority, not comforting the comfortable, and telling the rest of us to go f**k ourselves. White boomers don't deserve any sympathy, or any more entitlements.

This is disgusting, seniors deserve full support after their hard work in life. Let's treat everybody with respect and decency regardless of their political views.

Nope. Because that generation of seniors made numerous political decisions that impoverished future generations for their own immediate benefit. So what happens to them isn't my problem. Yes, in a world with infinite resources, we could worry about Boomers. But that isn't this world. They've done an awful job of leading this country, and now they just need to go away. Treating everyone with respect regardless of their political views includes Nazis, Kluxers, and MAGAts. No thanks. Accountability means that you get punished for your disgraceful political decisions. Sorry, deal with it.

No this is sickening.

No, it's the truth.

America is one country, that's not changing, so it's up to everyone to do their bit to respect others and realise that everyone has to do well for the country to succeed.

LOL. Yes, those of us who want pluralistic democracy and those of us who want a Trumpist dictatorship are the same people /s. Stop it. This isn't one country, and it hasn't been for quite some time.

The idea of punishing people who vote for politicians you disagree with is ridiculous. [...]

Oh gawd. Over and over and over again, throughout world history, people have been punished for supporting disgraceful political efforts. WTF do you think the Confederates and the Nazis represented?! Yeah, sorry, this is just politics 101 — you pay the price for advancing abominable viewpoints. It's democratic accountability, and it's a good thing.

You know 48% of seniors voted for Joe Biden so you would be literally punishing millions of your own voters  :

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2021/06/30/behind-bidens-2020-victory/

I don't care about their wellbeing, or their semi-retarded opinions. Remember, this is a segment of the population that's too stupid to get vaccinated in order to save their own lives.

That is completely wrong as seniors are the age group that are the most vaccinated. 80.83% of people who are between the age of 65 and 73 are fully vaccinated(91.33% have gotten one dose), and 77.1% of people over the age of 75 are fully vaccinated(87.36% have gotten one does).

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states/
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2021, 12:50:55 AM »

West Virginia has the lowest per capita income of any US state.

West Virginia's infant mortality rate is higher than that of Bosnia.

West Virginia's life expectancy is the lowest of any US state and is comparable to that of Nicaragua, a country people are so desperate to get out of that they'd rather sleep on the floor in an ICE holding facility in the Texas desert.

The coal industry Joe Manchin so prizes hasn't actually done anything to tangibly benefit West Virginia and it's not worth punishing the rest of the country and the world by continuing on a ruinous path to accelerated climate change to keep it around.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2021, 03:49:18 AM »

West Virginia has the lowest per capita income of any US state.

West Virginia's infant mortality rate is higher than that of Bosnia.

West Virginia's life expectancy is the lowest of any US state and is comparable to that of Nicaragua, a country people are so desperate to get out of that they'd rather sleep on the floor in an ICE holding facility in the Texas desert.

The coal industry Joe Manchin so prizes hasn't actually done anything to tangibly benefit West Virginia and it's not worth punishing the rest of the country and the world by continuing on a ruinous path to accelerated climate change to keep it around.

Yeah and frankly coal is dead anyway because of market forces, partly that the rest of the world is moving to net zero. Let's all come together as a global community, seize the opportunity of a bright green future, provide a just transition to the good hard-working people in the coal mines, and as quickly as possible leave fossil fuels in the ground and in the past.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2021, 09:18:11 AM »

No offense, but I could care less about rewarding this current generation of seniors for their own despicable decisions. Climate change needs to be the priority, not comforting the comfortable, and telling the rest of us to go f**k ourselves. White Boomers don't deserve any sympathy, or any more entitlements. We can do without the Medicare provisions, but climate change is non-negotiable.

You’re a bad person
R.P. McM

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2021, 09:26:25 AM »

No offense, but I could care less about rewarding this current generation of seniors for their own despicable decisions. Climate change needs to be the priority, not comforting the comfortable, and telling the rest of us to go f**k ourselves. White Boomers don't deserve any sympathy, or any more entitlements. We can do without the Medicare provisions, but climate change is non-negotiable.

You’re a bad person

Ad hominem attack. But I won't report you, because the logic of my argument is so compelling, your only response is name-calling. Climate is the priority, not coddling a privileged generation of geriatrics.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2021, 09:28:51 AM »

No this is sickening.

No, it's the truth.

You know 48% of seniors voted for Joe Biden so you would be literally punishing millions of your own voters  :

He's already shown he's perfectly willing to punish tens of millions of his own voters as long as one or two Republicans suffer in the process.

I've said this before, but R.P. McM is one of the most extreme posters on this forum. He's one of those posters who has the unique capability of upsetting people on both sides of the ideological spectrum.
R.P. McM

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2021, 09:30:45 AM »

No this is sickening.

No, it's the truth.

You know 48% of seniors voted for Joe Biden so you would be literally punishing millions of your own voters  :

I don't care about their wellbeing, or their semi-retarded opinions. Remember, this is a segment of the population that's too stupid to get vaccinated in order to save their own lives.

That is completely wrong as seniors are the age group that are the most vaccinated. 80.83% of people who are between the age of 65 and 73 are fully vaccinated(91.33% have gotten one dose), and 77.1% of people over the age of 75 are fully vaccinated(87.36% have gotten one does).

https://usafacts.org/visualizations/covid-vaccine-tracker-states/

You're right, mea culpa. I was thinking about Trump supporters, not seniors as an age cohort.
R.P. McM

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2021, 09:40:26 AM »

No this is sickening.

No, it's the truth.

You know 48% of seniors voted for Joe Biden so you would be literally punishing millions of your own voters  :

He's already shown he's perfectly willing to punish tens of millions of his own voters as long as one or two Republicans suffer in the process.

I've said this before, but R.P. McM is one of the most extreme posters on this forum. He's one of those posters who has the unique capability of upsetting people on both sides of the ideological spectrum.

Which is probably a good thing. Because this country has been faceplanting most of my adult life, so the conventional way of doing things needs to be upended. Even if it makes people uncomfortable. In terms of disastrously wrong policies/predictions over the past 20 years, the center-left is second only to the far-right.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2021, 10:14:17 AM »

RPMcM is vicious, but he is the slap in the face America needs.
Calls for civility ought not to be answered when there is simply nothing to be civil about.
You can’t bring traitors back to the fold by doing nothing, especially when the only thing these traitors understand is anger.
We won’t fix America or preserve the Union for much longer when we coddle the very tumor that is spreading across our country and eating at its essence each day.
The voters said no more political correctness back in 2016. They demanded honesty.

It’s time we give them their wish.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2021, 04:02:34 PM »

Calls for civility ought not to be answered when there is simply nothing to be civil about.
You can’t bring traitors back to the fold by doing nothing, especially when the only thing these traitors understand is anger.
We won’t fix America or preserve the Union for much longer when we coddle the very tumor that is spreading across our country and eating at its essence each day.
The voters said no more political correctness back in 2016. They demanded honesty.

The best approach to thwarting radicalism, revolutionaries, extremists etc (of any ideology) is to 1. thwart their ability to obtain power and combat the extremism while also at the exact same time, 2. remove the legitimate complaints that exist with the system as it is and root out is corrupting forces.

Eventually the extremists will have their "Hartford Convention moment/Jacobite Rebellion" moment and they will be destroyed as a political force. For all of the age old talk of party's "going the way of the Whigs", the real relevant collapse would be the US Federalist Party and the 18th century UK Tory Party. How they put themselves outside the mainstream, alienated the vast bulk of younger generations, and led to themselves be considered as traitors.

However, there is a difference between aggressively prosecuted criminals, weeding out corruption, reforming the system and campaigning LBJ style in every election, and blaming entire cohorts of people and seeking their liquidation as R.P. McM often pines for.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2021, 05:32:00 PM »

And some of those people live in West Virginia.

Biden couldn't crack 30% of the vote in WV, while Manchin got nearly 50% of the vote in WV. Manchin voters aren't all lefty activists from Morgantown, a lot of them are social conservatives from the rurals who are tired of seeing their politicians abandon them in favor of bureaucrats, and big-shot businessmen. Their towns are dying, due to a combination of outsourcing and excessive environmental regulation that puts America Last. We still use coal, but that coal is coming from China, not the US of A. They are tired of politicians supporting the elites, instead of the little people who cast the votes that put them up there. By the way, both Manchin and Biden belong to this group of elitist politicians. The people of WV are pissed.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2021, 05:32:48 PM »

Feels like as good a times as any to remind everyone of this:
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2021, 06:15:56 PM »

This is nothing new
I am asking the mods to delete the idiotic BREAKING title

C'mon man, if it's good enough for CNN to use up to 8 hours or so later...

Actually, it's idiotic when CNN does it as well.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2021, 07:42:08 PM »

One of my favorite Democrats. He doesn't BS about his obstructionist mindset like Sinema, I gotta respect it.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2021, 08:56:32 PM »

He's in the pocket of the coal industry. What do you expect.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2021, 10:11:09 PM »

Given that seniors no longer work and thereby provide zero productivity whatsoever to the USA economy and long term future, in addition to their increasing share of the USA percentage, the last thing we need is to  increase expenditures on them.

Ladies and gentlemen, the Republican Party!

Thank you elders for your decades of contributions to our economy and community, but you’re no longer of use to us. To the trash you go!
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2021, 10:17:33 PM »

Looks like the $3.5T bill isn’t passing!
What a ghoul
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2021, 10:51:34 PM »

Looks like the $3.5T bill isn’t passing!

In July, Manchin voted to increase the military budget by $25 billion a year over what Biden had asked for. Why was inflation not a concern then?
R.P. McM

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2021, 04:35:26 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2021, 01:05:16 PM by R.P. McM »

The best approach to thwarting radicalism, revolutionaries, extremists etc (of any ideology) is to 1. thwart their ability to obtain power and combat the extremism while also at the exact same time, 2. remove the legitimate complaints that exist with the system as it is and root out is corrupting forces.

Exactly! None of which is actually happening at the moment.

Eventually the extremists will have their "Hartford Convention moment/Jacobite Rebellion" moment and they will be destroyed as a political force. For all of the age old talk of party's "going the way of the Whigs", the real relevant collapse would be the US Federalist Party and the 18th century UK Tory Party. How they put themselves outside the mainstream, alienated the vast bulk of younger generations, and led to themselves be considered as traitors.

I.e., the Trumpist GOP. Why are you still donning a blue avatar?

However, there is a difference between aggressively prosecuted criminals, weeding out corruption, reforming the system and campaigning LBJ style in every election, and blaming entire cohorts of people and seeking their liquidation as R.P. McM often pines for.

Not my problem. If the centrists/establishmentarians can't even achieve incremental progress, then I'm perfectly justified in suggesting that the U.S. would've been better off had the Senate been abolished, or the Confederate states severely diminished in their national representation. These are your choices: either effectively demonstrate that the current system is functional, or reap the whirlwind.  
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2021, 05:32:03 AM »

No more money for the black hole of infrastructure spending.

Ah, I see the libertarian crusade against roads is still alive and well Tongue
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2021, 11:24:50 AM »

No this is sickening.

No, it's the truth.

Oh gawd. Over and over and over again, throughout world history, people have been punished for supporting disgraceful political efforts. WTF do you think the Confederates and the Nazis represented?! Yeah, sorry, this is just politics 101 — you pay the price for advancing abominable agendas. It's democratic accountability, and it's a good thing.

Can we ban him now?  Or do we need to wait until he posts his logical extensions of his own ideas?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies