Who will endorse Trump in the primary if he runs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:49:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Who will endorse Trump in the primary if he runs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who will endorse Trump in the primary if he runs?  (Read 718 times)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2021, 07:23:55 AM »

Already many prominent Republicans have said they won't support Trump in the GE if he wins the nomination in 2024. Let's take this a step further and ask who will explicitly endorse Trump during the primaries if he runs.
For sure these will:
The 7 senators who voted to object + the senators who originally planned to object
House members who objected and planned to object
Ron DeSantis
Kristi Noem
Trump loyalists (e.g. Bannon, Lindell, etc.)

And of course many can be expected to not endorse Trump, even if they don't endorse an opponent. People who fit into this category are people like McConnell, Pence, Pompeo and other establishment figures.

I can assume that if Trump runs, at least one Rockefeller Republican (e.g. Hogan, Baker) will run and at least one "establishment" conservative (e.g. Sasse) will. Likely the second will garner more support, but Trump is 100% winning the primary if he runs no matter what.

So who will endorse Trump? Who will endorse his opponents and who will not endorse at all?
Leroy McPherson fan
Leroymcphersonfan
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 08:25:47 AM »

More interestingly, I wonder if the state parties will endorse him.
It’s not unheard of for them to endorse candidates in the primary.

https://old.post-gazette.com/pg/08041/856424-85.stm
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 03:56:06 PM »

90% of the party will endorse him and he will have only token competition, no significant Republican wants to ruin their career by daring to challenge the god emperor. Republican's have screwed themselves though short term thinking.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 04:03:25 PM »

Nikki Haley will.

It won't get her anywhere.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 06:00:16 AM »

90% of the party will endorse him and he will have only token competition, no significant Republican wants to ruin their career by daring to challenge the god emperor. Republican's have screwed themselves though short term thinking.

I agree that he'll be the presumptive nominee the instant he announces, but I disagree that he's a weak candidate. Despite committing genocide against his own people, he was still almost able to win in 2020.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 11:58:12 AM »

I agree that he'll be the presumptive nominee the instant he announces, but I disagree that he's a weak candidate. Despite committing genocide against his own people, he was still almost able to win in 2020.

I didn't mean to imply that Trump is a weak candidate, distressingly he may well win in 2024 without having to steal the election. I meant establishment republicans have screwed themselves by not standing up to Trump at any point over the last five years, now their party is overrun with fascists who want to hang them.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 06:40:44 PM »

This is another question that needs more specificity in order to have much meaning.  Who will endorse him in the primary as of *when*?  I’m sure that if he runs and wins the nomination, then most Republican politicians will have endorsed him at some point by the time he clinches the nomination.  But in many cases, it’ll only happen at the last minute.  Because there are a ton of Republicans in Congress who seem to not want to talk about Trump, and try to dodge the question when asked about him.  Even Ron Johnson in 2019 wouldn’t talk about whether he was going to support Trump for re-nomination, and that was when he was the sitting president, a situation in which most members of a major party pretty much automatically back the sitting president of their party for a another run:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/427973-endorsing-trump-isnt-the-easiest-decision-for-some-republicans

And the thing is, Trump seems to not really care.  If you criticism him, then he holds it against you.  But if you just dodge on the question of whether you support him, he doesn’t seem to notice.

So I’d expect that if he announces another presidential campaign, that he’d get some endorsements right away, but a large fraction of congressional Republicans would just hold off endorsing anyone, and wait and see what happens.  Many still won’t have endorsed anyone at the time the primary voting starts, but then would finally endorse Trump either just before or just after he formally clinches the nomination.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies