Meet The Press: Missouri Senate Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:21:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Meet The Press: Missouri Senate Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Meet The Press: Missouri Senate Debate  (Read 1417 times)
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2006, 02:15:52 PM »

Having just watched this I was impressed by Claire McCaskill.  She was sure of herself and the issues, slightly faltering at times but overall she seemed positive.  I thought Talent came across as an empty suit; he defended himself well but I would give the edge to McCaskill.  Did anyone else see it and what did you think? 
Joel the Attention Whore
Joel

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 03:23:27 PM »

Both did quite a decent job, but I say McCaskill won narrowly.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 03:42:59 PM »

had no clue it was on today, going to watch it now on the net, though may have to go back to it later as I am watching the Eagles/ Cowboys game
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 05:26:14 PM »

Both were very good.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 05:51:43 PM »

bot did a good job, think McCaskill did a bit better, as Talent stumbled a bit especially when asked about his voting record
sethm0

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 05:51:59 PM »

McCaskill got far less talking time than Talent. At times it just seemed like a Talent interview. Russert even mentioned something about equal time towards the end, but it was too late.

I thought Talent won narrowly. He was a bit more polshed when talking about security and McCaskill had no decent answer about the Katrina quote.

It wasn't a blowout either way though.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 11:51:33 PM »

Talent is one of my favorites and I really like him but he has this "Wait...why am I here?" looks throughout this debate. He's stumbling and begining to say dumb things. I just came back from watching the first half of it to report on this intelligent line: "I believe that it [life] begins...at the beginning...at conception"  There was an awkward pause before he stated that the beginning is conception. I laughed out loud when he said it began at the beginning. Good line, Senator.

I'm not finished watching so I can't say who won just yet but McCaskill seems to have the slight edge.
poughies
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 11:53:44 PM »

Is there a race in the country where both candidates have high approvals like this one?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 12:01:49 AM »

They both did good jobs. Unlike the TN debate where they were both retards.
poughies
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 12:09:42 AM »

No Ford just adds every religous thing he can because it works Wink..... Now if he did that in new york oye vey.......
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 12:12:11 AM »

Talent is one of my favorites and I really like him but he has this "Wait...why am I here?" looks throughout this debate. He's stumbling and begining to say dumb things. I just came back from watching the first half of it to report on this intelligent line: "I believe that it [life] begins...at the beginning...at conception"  There was an awkward pause before he stated that the beginning is conception. I laughed out loud when he said it began at the beginning. Good line, Senator.

I'm not finished watching so I can't say who won just yet but McCaskill seems to have the slight edge.

Jim Talent is a very well-educated, thoughtful man who seems uncomfortable with the shift in the Republican Party of the past 10 years. Talent is a self-described fiscal consverative who only opposes stem cell research because of the strength of evangelicals in the Missouri Republican Party.

Senator Talent seems to be more in the mold of Senator Danforth than in the mold of Senator Brownback. He originially supported stem cell research before realizing the political necessity of keeping his base happy.

The funniest moment was when Russert asked McCaskill why people should vote her. Before listing her reasons, she knocked Senator Talent for voting for $8 billion in tax cuts for Big Oil -- an angry Talent loudly sighed and mumbled that it wasn't true. I felt Claire McCaskill was brimming with a confidence surely buoyed by recent events and Talent seemed on the defensive and angry that he had to debate McCaskill.

Overall, Talent is a superior debater and the smarter candidate but he failed to win the debate.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 12:13:40 AM »

No Ford just adds every religous thing he can because it works Wink..... Now if he did that in new york oye vey.......

Ford uses the religious card to cut into Corker's already tenuous support among evangelicals. The reason it works for Ford is because voters know it's earnest, not fake like John Kerry's sudden piousness in 2004.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2006, 12:36:07 AM »

Before listing her reasons, she knocked Senator Talent for voting for $8 billion in tax cuts for Big Oil -- an angry Talent loudly sighed and mumbled that it wasn't true.

I loved that!

I also loved how when asked about Bill Clinton, McCaskill said "He's a great leader but I wouldn't want him anywhere near my daughter."
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 12:38:30 AM »

Ford uses the religious card to cut into Corker's already tenuous support among evangelicals. The reason it works for Ford is because voters know it's earnest, not fake like John Kerry's sudden piousness in 2004.

Ford's my Congressman. I've been watching him since his 1996 election. His sudden use of religion is beyond phony. It's cynicism of the worst kind. That being said, I don't blame him because it's the only way he can win. I also don't think too many Republican politicians lose a lot of sleep over gay marriage or abortion either.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2006, 12:42:45 AM »

Is there a race in the country where both candidates have high approvals like this one?

I wouldn't call Talent's 48% high exactly.
Conan
conan

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2006, 12:42:57 AM »

Before listing her reasons, she knocked Senator Talent for voting for $8 billion in tax cuts for Big Oil -- an angry Talent loudly sighed and mumbled that it wasn't true.

I loved that!

I also loved how when asked about Bill Clinton, McCaskill said "He's a great leader but I wouldn't want him anywhere near my daughter."
Thats a really un needed cheap shot. Especially coming from someone who married a drug addict.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2006, 04:44:41 AM »

I loved that!

Thats a really un needed cheap shot. Especially coming from someone who married a drug addict.

Agreed. Is she trying to offend her base?
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2006, 09:49:37 AM »

I watched it and I would say it was kind of a tie.
I agree with Phil in that Talent had an 'I don't know why I'm here' face, which was not good. Also he was kind of trapped on the stem cell research issue, which is pretty unfortunate since it seems he's one of the few Republicans who believe in stem cell research.
McCaskill was disciplined and presented herself as a pretty good speaker too. She clearly couldn't give a good explanation about her accusations of Bush being a racist because of Katrina.
Overall, Talent looked way more experienced and with gravitas in my opinion. But his impatience face might hurt him.

Now, before the debate I was totally in favor of McCaskill - now I'm not totally sure.
And the same happened to me a week earlier with the Ohio debate. I was glad that Sherrod Brown was ahead, but after the debate I hated the guy, and I'm really worried that he's going to defeat DeWine - I think Sherrod Brown represents the worst of the Democratic Party: economic populist and weak on terror - why they didn't allow the other guy, the veteran (I forgot his name) run for the seat??  DeWine was pretty moderate.

I want the democrats to win back the Senate, but not by defeating moderate Republicans like Chaffee, DeWine and even Talent (he's not that moderate but he's not the worst of conservatives). I'm on the other hand glad about Santorum - sorry Phil.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2006, 10:43:48 AM »

II want the democrats to win back the Senate, but not by defeating moderate Republicans like Chaffee, DeWine and even Talent

The only so-called "moderate" in that bunch is Chafee.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2006, 11:07:19 AM »

Talent is a pro-warcrime, pro-torture, anti-bill of rights anti-American terrorist scumbag who deserves to be in prison with the rest of the Fascist-Republican scum.

That said he won the debate because was able to attack her keep her on the defensive while he stayed on message.  She was favored going into the debate due to Foley and the Iraq debacle but while she was okay he was clearly better.

I'm interested in seeing how the "I'm bigger than the POTUS" attitude plays with people who support Bush more than Talent.
GOP = Terrorists
Progress

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 11:09:30 AM »

Thats a really un needed cheap shot.

I'd say I'm part of the base.  If anything I'm to the left of the base.  Yet I completely agree with her.  He was a great POTUS but I wouldn't want him anywhere near my daughter.  Nor do I think cheating on your wife is a moral thing to do... Even if it is Chillery.
Rococo4

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2006, 12:40:23 PM »

I agree with Phil in that Talent had an 'I don't know why I'm here' face, which was not good. Also he was kind of trapped on the stem cell research issue, which is pretty unfortunate since it seems he's one of the few Republicans who believe in stem cell research.
McCaskill was disciplined and presented herself as a pretty good speaker too. She clearly couldn't give a good explanation about her accusations of Bush being a racist because of Katrina.
Overall, Talent looked way more experienced and with gravitas in my opinion. But his impatience face might hurt him.

Now, before the debate I was totally in favor of McCaskill - now I'm not totally sure.
And the same happened to me a week earlier with the Ohio debate. I was glad that Sherrod Brown was ahead, but after the debate I hated the guy, and I'm really worried that he's going to defeat DeWine - I think Sherrod Brown represents the worst of the Democratic Party: economic populist and weak on terror - why they didn't allow the other guy, the veteran (I forgot his name) run for the seat??  DeWine was pretty moderate.

I want the democrats to win back the Senate, but not by defeating moderate Republicans like Chaffee, DeWine and even Talent (he's not that moderate but he's not the worst of conservatives). I'm on the other hand glad about Santorum - sorry Phil.

I like Talent and hope he wins, but that is always the face he has.  Thats just how he looks.  I planned on watching the rerun on MSNBC but I couldnt thanks to Kim Jong Il
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2006, 02:25:33 PM »

I gave her $25.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length