Can a man get pregnant
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:15:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Can a man get pregnant
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Poll
Question: Do you think a man can get pregnant?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 147

Author Topic: Can a man get pregnant  (Read 12364 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2021, 08:11:35 PM »

maybe but can a man get pergert or gregnant or pregonate or pregananant?

(my serious answer to this question is yes because i support the trans ppl)
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2022, 04:00:58 PM »
« Edited: January 03, 2022, 08:06:29 PM by L.D. Smith ist kein Technologiefeudalist »

In theory, sure...but it would be dangerous at worst, more likely, it lasts as long as all those laboratory elements like Californium.

Either way, not practical or useful and not ethical.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2022, 04:46:53 PM »

maybe but can a man get pergert or gregnant or pregonate or pregananant?

(my serious answer to this question is yes because i support the trans ppl)

Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2022, 11:57:09 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2022, 12:01:48 PM by Scarlet »

Trans men exist. So yes.(sane, abnormal)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2022, 05:42:31 PM »

Yes.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2022, 06:30:29 PM »

Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2022, 08:17:38 PM »

Trans men are trans men.  They are not biologically a man, so no.  What they choose to identify as is different from what they literally are.  Thats not even a slight at them, its just literally facts.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2022, 08:23:28 PM »

The definition of a racist is someone who thinks a person is inferior because of their race. The definition of a transphobe is someone who thinks a trans person is not the gender they say they are.

If racism requires a belief in inferiority why doesn't transphobia similarly require a belief in inferiority? One can find it absurd to claim that there's nothing gay about a man sucking his girlfriends lady penis without believing transpeople are inferior.

Racism no longer requires a belief in inferiority though in our modern discourse.  Racism literally just means acknowledging race in a way that makes someone feel uncomfortable or voting for a political party.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2022, 12:10:59 AM »

Trans men are trans men.  They are not biologically a man, so no.  What they choose to identify as is different from what they literally are.  Thats not even a slight at them, its just literally facts.
Trans men's brains resemble cis men's brains more than cis women's brains(and vice versa). https://globalnews.ca/news/4223342/transgender-brain-scan-research/
It just baffles me that someone would think that someones body is more important to who someone is than their mind, their soul. It is usually actively distressing for trans people to be seen as their birth sex, and we don't actually gain anything by defining the categories of "man" and "woman" entirely based on the body. If you put a lions mind in a humans body, you don't get a human; you get a very confused and upset lion.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2022, 10:03:36 AM »

Asking this question is like asking "do the native people of sub-Saharan Africa have black skin"

To which the answer is surely an obvious yes- except for the fact that albinos exist.

Same thing here. In general, women can get pregnant and men cannot, of course. Like many general rules, the rare exceptions can exist. Even excluding trans people it would not at all surprise me if there are some intersex individuals in this category too.

Trans men's brains resemble cis men's brains more than cis women's brains(and vice versa). https://globalnews.ca/news/4223342/transgender-brain-scan-research/
It just baffles me that someone would think that someones body is more important to who someone is than their mind, their soul. It is usually actively distressing for trans people to be seen as their birth sex, and we don't actually gain anything by defining the categories of "man" and "woman" entirely based on the body. If you put a lions mind in a humans body, you don't get a human; you get a very confused and upset lion.

Actually there's scientific evidence for there being no significant sexual dimorphism in brains: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33621637/
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2022, 07:28:38 PM »

Males cannot get pregnant. Not sure about men. (Moderate hero option)
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2022, 07:48:35 PM »

Trans men are trans men.  They are not biologically a man, so no.  What they choose to identify as is different from what they literally are.  Thats not even a slight at them, its just literally facts.

What does it mean for your mind or soul to be a gender? This is what I just don't get. My mind and soul aren't male/man or female/woman, my body just happens to be male and I just happen to be a man.

What does it mean to be a woman or man? I have yet to hear an answer to this that did not fall back on gender stereotypes.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2022, 08:03:47 PM »

Trans men are trans men.  They are not biologically a man, so no.  What they choose to identify as is different from what they literally are.  Thats not even a slight at them, its just literally facts.

What does it mean for your mind or soul to be a gender? This is what I just don't get. My mind and soul aren't male/man or female/woman, my body just happens to be male and I just happen to be a man.

What does it mean to be a woman or man? I have yet to hear an answer to this that did not fall back on gender stereotypes.

Gender dysphoria is the experience of my body telling me that it doesn't want to be a man's body. My limbs are too long and feel physically stretched out, my hips feel like something's pushing them inwards, my genitalia feel like a profane and alien growth, et cetera. I identify with that physicality much more than I do my own. I could never see my body as "just happen[ing] to be male" or my spirit as such because of this experience. You don't understand simply because you don't have this experience, but that doesn't mean that you have to be hostile to those who do.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2022, 08:07:31 PM »

Gender dysphoria is the experience of my body telling me that it doesn't want to be a man's body. My limbs are too long and feel physically stretched out, my hips feel like something's pushing them inwards, my genitalia feel like a profane and alien growth, et cetera. I identify with that physicality much more than I do my own. I could never see my body as "just happen[ing] to be male" or my spirit as such because of this experience. You don't understand simply because you don't have this experience, but that doesn't mean that you have to be hostile to those who do.

I'm not being hostile at all. And while this helps me understand the trans experience to an extent, it still does not even sightly answer my question so I will pose it again.

What does it mean to be a man or a woman?
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2022, 08:14:47 PM »

I'm not being hostile at all. And while this helps me understand the trans experience to an extent, it still does not even sightly answer my question so I will pose it again.

What does it mean to be a man or a woman?

For me that experience is tied up in experiences of body, but it clearly means something different for everyone. Even the cis folks I know have very different perspectives on what their body and gender identity and gendered expectations and sexuality mean to them. I interpret my own experiences through a lens of feminine physicality and the metaphysical ideas associated with it, and thus I identify with that schema even though I don't identify as A Woman™ as such. I also identify heavily with the forms of gender non-conformity seen in classical antiquity and pre-colonial societies, which are often ignored in discourse like this in favor of making transgender identity as a concept seem like it was cooked up by the Frankfurt School or a bunch of random sex pests who are easy targets for the right.

Ultimately I can only speak for my own experiences, although I know that there are plenty of folks here who can speak for their own perspective on gender non-conformity, trans or otherwise.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2022, 08:26:40 PM »

It's as the late, great poet J. R. Steinman once said: You'll never know what it means, but you'll know how it feels.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2022, 09:21:39 PM »

It's as the late, great poet J. R. Steinman once said: You'll never know what it means, but you'll know how it feels.
Really? Because I sure don’t.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2022, 09:37:06 PM »

Well, it's fairly simple. How do you know you're a man? (assuming you are one, of course--replace this with whatever your gender is if you're not)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2022, 10:14:37 PM »

Well, it's fairly simple. How do you know you're a man? (assuming you are one, of course--replace this with whatever your gender is if you're not)

I was told from a young age what my gender was by others, who determined it by what’s in my pants. I never saw any reason to disagree.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2022, 10:47:27 PM »

I was told from a young age what my gender was by others, who determined it by what’s in my pants. I never saw any reason to disagree.
So if you had been assigned female at birth (like, ignore the obvious genetic fact that the person who would replace you in the AFAB Reckoning universe would most likely be a different person entirely because obviously it's not like the only difference between sperm cells from the same provider at a given moment is sex), do you think you would have taken the same path (i.e. grown up to become a cisgender woman)?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2022, 10:52:56 PM »

So if you had been assigned female at birth (like, ignore the obvious genetic fact that the person who would replace you in the AFAB Reckoning universe would most likely be a different person entirely because obviously it's not like the only difference between sperm cells from the same provider at a given moment is sex), do you think you would have taken the same path (i.e. grown up to become a cisgender woman)?
Honestly? It’s impossible to know for sure, but I personally don’t see why I wouldn’t grow up to be a cisgender women.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2022, 11:20:12 PM »

Honestly? It’s impossible to know for sure, but I personally don’t see why I wouldn’t grow up to be a cisgender women.

Fair enough. I don't know, I guess maybe most cis people just don't think that deeply about it.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2022, 02:54:30 AM »

See, this is the sort of definitions game that Antonio was talking about on the first page of this thread. Trans men obviously exist and obviously, in at least some cases, can and do get pregnant. That much is simply beyond denial. What purpose is served by the endless syntactical arguments about what specific type of noun phrase "trans man" is, arguments generally engaged in by people deeply hostile to one another on increasingly profound cultural and moral levels and often without any demonstrably accurate premises or rigorous definition of terms on either side? As far as I can tell the only purposes they serve are that of a make-work program for right-wing humanities scholars and that of a way for irreligious progressives to chase the high of being ruled orthodox at a first-millennium ecumenical council. It's a fundamentally frivolous and bad-faith way of approaching an issue area that involves genuinely serious concerns.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2022, 10:54:41 AM »

See, this is the sort of definitions game that Antonio was talking about on the first page of this thread. Trans men obviously exist and obviously, in at least some cases, can and do get pregnant. That much is simply beyond denial. What purpose is served by the endless syntactical arguments about what specific type of noun phrase "trans man" is, arguments generally engaged in by people deeply hostile to one another on increasingly profound cultural and moral levels and often without any demonstrably accurate premises or rigorous definition of terms on either side? As far as I can tell the only purposes they serve are that of a make-work program for right-wing humanities scholars and that of a way for irreligious progressives to chase the high of being ruled orthodox at a first-millennium ecumenical council. It's a fundamentally frivolous and bad-faith way of approaching an issue area that involves genuinely serious concerns.
For most trans people, being seen as our gender instead of our physical sex is pretty important. I don't see any good reason for the other side of the debate to care, but it is significant to us.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2022, 11:08:45 AM »

A trans man is not a biological man.  Men have a penis and cannot get pregnant.  This is not semantics, its actually a very important distinction.  Its disturbing that there are people here who think its just arguing over words.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies