Can a man get pregnant
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:37:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Can a man get pregnant
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Poll
Question: Do you think a man can get pregnant?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 147

Author Topic: Can a man get pregnant  (Read 12321 times)
Leroy McPherson fan
Leroymcphersonfan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 06, 2021, 11:12:35 PM »

John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 11:18:16 PM »

I thought the entire basis for why men don't get to have opinions on abortion was because we can't have babies.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 11:58:55 PM »

I thought the entire basis for why men don't get to have opinions on abortion was because we can't have babies.

Thus the question is raised over whether a trans man forfeits his right to have an opinion on abortion if he gets a hysterectomy. Or, you know, a cis woman who gets a hysterectomy, a cis woman whose uterus is physically intact but impaired in function, etc. The maxim has always been offensive to me as someone both deeply conflicted over her gender identity, who has long desired a uterus and felt awful about her inability to procure one, and deeply conflicted on her attitudes towards abortion, but ultimately liberal feminism is all about feel-good soundbites that veil regressive and exclusionary sentiments.

I'm skeptical of unadulterated gender constructivism as well, as it's failed me in my attempts to understand myself and I see it harming other people who are in a similar position, but as I see it certain people who identify as men are capable of becoming pregnant, whether or not they care to, so I would give a "yes". Obviously this question is not being asked in good faith, but it's because and not in spite of that that I feel inclined to provide my perspective.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 04:15:49 AM »

Yes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 06:10:45 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2021, 06:18:04 AM by Doctor V »

When political discourse devolves into semantic arguments, you know there's nothing of value to be gained here.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 09:51:47 AM »

When political discourse devolves into semantic arguments, you know there's nothing of value to be gained here.

This is basically 'Can a man marry another man' for the '20s.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 11:31:09 AM »

According to the Fredward song, the answer is yes:

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2021, 12:26:43 PM »

I find the way gender has been divided from biological sex fascinating, given that biological sex defines one of the fundamental elements of human existence (reproduction) and gender is primarily explained as a subjective mental phenomenon. If I were to divide the two, I would be forced to conclude that the more important category was sex, as it carries more profound meaning for human inter-relations. With that said, This points to an important difference in perspective as the people who advocate the idea of separating gender from sex do not accord a central place to reproduction in their anthropology and instead focus on other elements.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2021, 04:05:31 PM »

Yes, a trans man who has a uterus can get pregnant.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2021, 04:59:49 PM »

I find the way gender has been divided from biological sex fascinating, given that biological sex defines one of the fundamental elements of human existence (reproduction) and gender is primarily explained as a subjective mental phenomenon. If I were to divide the two, I would be forced to conclude that the more important category was sex, as it carries more profound meaning for human inter-relations. With that said, This points to an important difference in perspective as the people who advocate the idea of separating gender from sex do not accord a central place to reproduction in their anthropology and instead focus on other elements.

They do; perhaps just not necessarily in the way you would wish it. Stating that 'a man can get pregnant'; accepting the premise that a trans man may carry a child, and is still a man, is essentially 'according a central place to reproduction' in that specific incidence.
FT-02 Senator A.F.E. 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2021, 07:03:39 PM »

No, but they can become gregnant
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2021, 11:20:15 PM »

If you really identify as a man, why would you want to get pregnant?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2021, 06:08:57 AM »

And on Atlas, it's usually said by a single, childless man Tongue
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2021, 12:28:47 PM »

Yes, and this whole thing will be irrelevant once the technology to get Cis men pregnant will be a thing.
BabyAlligator
Rookie
United States
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2021, 12:44:15 PM »

Yes, and this whole thing will be irrelevant once the technology to get Cis men pregnant will be a thing.

Do you think it's a positive thing ?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2021, 12:53:36 PM »

They do; perhaps just not necessarily in the way you would wish it. Stating that 'a man can get pregnant'; accepting the premise that a trans man may carry a child, and is still a man, is essentially 'according a central place to reproduction' in that specific incidence.

If the article had said that men can get ovarian cancer, would that be according a central place to ovarian cancer? (Incidentally, I googled it and found an article discussing the topic of ovarian cancer in FTM transgender individuals.) Articles are frequently written about topics that society overall accords a low level of importance to. That an article was written about human reproduction does not mean that society overall accords sufficient importance to human reproduction. And you admit that I do not find this level of focus satisfactory, so I am overall unsure what your point is intended to be.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2021, 05:32:48 PM »

This is the kind of question that explains why so many people vote based upon cultural issues.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2021, 06:01:58 PM »

Ah, Ben.  What would a day be without a sly underhanded hit job on trans men?  Charmer, you!

I voted "no" because trans men are only able to give birth because they have female reproductive systems and the very nature of giving birth belongs to the female experience.

I never understood why trans men even wanted to give birth anyway.  If you've always felt like a boy since you were a child, then wouldn't it be undesirable to conceive a baby the way a woman does and go through that pregnancy? 

I guess if it's a non-binary person or someone that's trans but not in the classical definition of the "transsexual", but pregnancy and childbirth are not genderless - they are what women do.

Trans is a part of human life, yes it is, but you have to accept that you're made trans, you will die trans.  All this "men giving birth" stuff just sounds like right-wing click-bait to me.  It literally sounds like a National Inquirer cover story.  It's meant to shock and sensationalize the trans experience.

No trans boy I've ever met has ever wanted to walk around looking any more feminine than he already does.  Nothing screams woman quite like a belly with a baby inside of it.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2021, 06:06:11 PM »

This is the kind of question that explains why so many people vote based upon cultural issues.

Yeah but I have to wonder.

For example, a cultural issue for the past 50 years now has been pot legalization.  I hate pot - I hate the smell of it, it reeks, it's all over certain neighborhoods - it's in elevators going down to Subway stations, it's just disgusting to me.  Yet at the same time, I voted for it to be brought out of the legal shadows, declassified as an offense, and taxed and regulated... I did it because I thought it was so f-ing stupid that black men were being carted off to the slammer for smoking pot when a bunch of white kids at Harvard do it and it's no big deal.

And that's coming from someone who HATES the stuff...

So I don't quite get how you sacrifice all other votes on the other much more important issues, such as the bread and butter issues or Social Security or SNAP benefits or farming and agricultural issues - all these places like IA and KY and OH and WV - where there are a gajillion more important, salient matters to discuss - much more visible in your everyday life, and yet you're worried about something that maybe 0.001% does?  Seriously?  You actually go around thinking that?  (not you, previous poster, i'm just talking generally here)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2021, 02:54:56 AM »

Yes, of course.  There was a documentary from 1994 in which a cisgender man resembling Arnold Schwarzenegger carried a baby to term.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2021, 10:53:50 AM »

Do you think it's a positive thing ?
I’m going to be the first investors to any firm which provides its services to Japan with no qualms.

Less selfishly, the ability to produce life is a beautiful thing that should be an opportunity to have for all.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2021, 04:57:08 PM »

And on Atlas, it's usually said by a single, childless man Tongue

There are enough people trashing my demographic without you taking a swing too! Tongue
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2021, 07:29:08 PM »

Someone who identifies as a man can get pregnant, yes.

Does it help anyone to actively deny their gender identity out of semantics? No.

Does it make sense to overhaul our entire way of speaking to account for that .001% of the population? Also no
Medal506
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2021, 08:18:55 PM »

This is basically 'Can a man marry another man' for the '20s.

Conservatives in the 2000s/2010s: “if we legalize gay marriage it will be a slippery slope and allow for more deviancy down the line.”

Liberals in the 2000s/2010s: “You’re crazy! That will never happen. Gay marriage is just about giving gay people the same rights as straight people.”

Liberals in the year 2021: “Asking if men can get pregnant is the 2020 equivalent to asking if men can marry other men.”
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2021, 09:17:07 PM »

Yes, in the sense that a woman is a man.

If you get pregnant, no matter what else you are, you are a woman.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies