Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:20:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89
Author Topic: Brazilian presidential and general elections 2022 (1st round: October 2nd, 2nd round: October 30th)  (Read 147043 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2150 on: December 30, 2022, 05:04:43 PM »

Bolsonaro has left the country and is in Florida now. It’s finally over, even if his term only really ends January 1st.

This moment was so anticipated, it’s kinda weird how it feels like an afterthought now.
Did he flee the country? Or is he just on vacation?

According to the media, his lawyers advised him to leave the country while he is still president. Presidents can be trialed only by the Supreme Court. An ordinary citizen (like he will be when he becomes a former president) can be sued by any local court.
Can he be sued in absence?

Is Lula looking to charge him? That might force the Biden administration to hand him over.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2151 on: December 30, 2022, 06:14:05 PM »

I have my doubts the Biden Administration will extradite Bolsonaro, or if they are willing I highly suspect Bolsonaro is using the US as a transit point to flee elsewhere—most likely Israel.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2152 on: December 30, 2022, 07:51:28 PM »

I have my doubts the Biden Administration will extradite Bolsonaro, or if they are willing I highly suspect Bolsonaro is using the US as a transit point to flee elsewhere—most likely Israel.

There are unfortunately all too many world leaders right now of a sort who'd be willing to take in Jair Bolsonaro, world's nicest guy, whose life the Brazilian left (and center-left, and center, and a good chunk of the center-right for that matter) wants to ruin for no reason, but I agree that Bibi is one of the likeliest of a likely lot. He's also likelier than most to keep Bolsonaro in the lifestyle to which he has become accustomed.

Apparently Michelle Bolsonaro stayed in Brazil, so that marriage (outstanding Christian supreme gentlesir Jair's third) is probably over. I hope she goes up to Salvador de Bahia and shacks up with one of the Carnaval hunks.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2153 on: December 30, 2022, 08:00:42 PM »

Why not? It would be an epic FU to all wanna be dictators around the world
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2154 on: December 30, 2022, 08:34:29 PM »

Other example of leader who fled the country few hours before the New Year: Fulgencio Batista
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2155 on: December 31, 2022, 12:58:54 AM »

This is surreal. Did the President of the world's sixith largest country really just flee?

I suspect its just trolling. Not only will he not hand over the presidential stash, he won't even be in the country. Similar to Trump not being in DC for Biden's inaguration.

That said, if he is truly fleeing the country to avoid jail, this is historic.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2156 on: December 31, 2022, 05:14:13 AM »

It's official: Jair Bolsonaro is a Florida man!
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2157 on: December 31, 2022, 08:18:24 AM »

This is surreal. Did the President of the world's sixith largest country really just flee?

I suspect its just trolling. Not only will he not hand over the presidential stash, he won't even be in the country. Similar to Trump not being in DC for Biden's inaguration.

He is trolling. He doesn't want to attend the inauguration and to transfer the presidential sash to Lula.

But there is also some concern related to the justice. He can be sued for spreading hoaxes about cloroquine and vaccines during the pandemic, for being part of a fake news network, for changing the chief of the Federal Police with the intent to protect his son against corruption investigations (there was a recording of a meeting in which Bolsonaro clearly showed this intent), for making speeches to his supporters in which there were incentive for violent acts.
I don't think he will be sentenced. Besides, a trial takes time and the accused citizen must serve in the prison only after the second trial. However, since Bolsonaro won't have privileges of a president anymore. Only the Supreme Court can sue a president. But any judge can sue an ordinary citizen. There is a risk that an ordinary judge request a "precautionay prison" before the trial. Of course, the Supreme Court will order the release, and he would spend only some hours in a police station. But this "prison" could cause some politicam damage.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2158 on: December 31, 2022, 08:20:42 AM »

Pelé's funeral will take place on January 2nd, in the city of Santos-SP, 1100km distant to Brasília.
Lula's innauguration will take place on January 1st.
Many international journalists will cover both events.
Lula might travel to Santos and attend the funeral if his schedule allows him.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #2159 on: December 31, 2022, 01:13:34 PM »

I think it wasn’t mentioned here that the Federal Police recently concluded some days ago after an investigation that Bolsonaro committed a crime when he correlated the COVID-19 vaccination shot with getting the HIV virus, so he could be prosecuted any time for that.

He may even return from “vacations” while nothing gets opened against him here but Florida in the USA will just be his new main home now, as it could be risky for him to return while Lula is president and there are lots of stuff he did that he could be sent to jail for. Safer to leave just before his term ends.

Florida is also where the Trump headquarters are, while historically being the favorite safe refuge place for Latin American far-right and other fascists. He can meet with Trump, Steve Bannon and create strategies there, both for Brazil and USA so that the far-right returns soon in those countries.

Btw, his wife Michelle went to Florida with him after changing her mind. I wonder why.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #2160 on: December 31, 2022, 03:44:00 PM »
« Edited: December 31, 2022, 03:53:25 PM by Red Velvet »

Datafolha asked Brazilians which president was the BEST in history and which one was the WORST.

BEST president mentions:

1. Lula (2003-2010): 37%
2. Jair Bolsonaro (2019-2022): 23%
3. FHC (1995-2002): 7%
4. Getúlio Vargas (1930-1945; 1951-1954): 4%
5. Juscelino Kubitscheck (1956-1960): 2%

WORST president mentions:

1. Jair Bolsonaro (2019-2022): 31%
2. Lula (2003-2010): 20%
3. Dilma Rousseff (2011-2016): 13%
4. Fernando Collor (1990-1992): 12%
5. Michel Temer (2016-2018): 3%

Both Lula and Bolsonaro leading both the best and worst lists is sign of the current polarization (which in previous poll showed 32% being very PT friendly and 25% being Bolsonarists) and you see similar %s here as well.

However, it’s also sign of extreme recency bias that over 50% of people mention either one of these two as the best or worst. Only TWO presidents from before the redemocratization period are there in either top 5: Getúlio Vargas and Juscelino Kubitscheck which are indeed the more recognizable OLD names for the people because of their legacies.

Zero presidents from the military dictatorship in there. The only one who got 1% (tied with Dilma) for BEST mentions or more was João Figueiredo (1979-1985), the last one and who is also regarded as the weakest by extremist segments for representing the reopening of the country in a time the dictatorship had already gotten way past its peak and there wasn’t nearly the same level of repression that existed in late-60s/early-70s.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #2161 on: January 01, 2023, 04:54:30 AM »

Lula definitely is on the high end of best Presidents of Brazilian history, 2003-2010 was an amazing period for the country. I hope he manages to do his magic this time again, I am very happy with the team of Ministers he selected. Had to make some concessions in certain areas but there are amazing people controling the most important ones. I'm so hopeful, I cannot believe yet Bolsonaro is now the FORMER PRESIDENT of Brazil.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #2162 on: January 01, 2023, 05:56:14 AM »

You love to see it:

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #2163 on: January 01, 2023, 07:41:42 AM »
« Edited: January 01, 2023, 08:25:10 AM by Mike88 »

A curious note: This will be the last swearing in ceremony to be held on January 1st. The next one, in 2027, will be held on January 5th for President, and Governors will be sworn in on the next day.

This was a change made in 2021, and the reasons were the closeness to the New Year celebrations, which reduces the audience watching it, and the simultaneity of swearing ceremonies that forces several local and statewide officials to miss the Presidential swearing in ceremony.

Datafolha asked Brazilians which president was the BEST in history and which one was the WORST.

The best presidents of Brazil, during the last few decades IMO, have been FHC and Lula. The first for stabilizing the country and for building the ground for economic growth, and Lula (2003-2011) for using FHC's legacy and expanding social programs and continuing economic policies and reforms that increased growth. Bolsonaro being in second, like Red Velvet said, is just proof of the big polarization of the country, nothing more. My ranking would be this, just of the last few decades:

1. FHC
2. Lula
3. Itamar Franco
4. Dilma
5. Temer
6. Sarney
7. Collor and Bolsonaro (tied)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2164 on: January 01, 2023, 08:24:13 AM »

Thank goodness, the evil is truly defeated. Happy New Year, Brazil! Purple heart
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2165 on: January 01, 2023, 11:18:01 AM »

There is the polarization, and of course most people remember the most recent presidents, to consider them the best and the worst.

I think the best Brazilian presidents were in the following order
1) Getúlio Vargas (1930-1945 and 1951-1954)
2) Juscelino Kubitschek (1956-1961)
3) Lula (2003-2011)

Considering only the New Republic (1985-today) my ranking is the following one
1) Lula
2) Itamar Franco
3) Fernando Henrique Cardoso
4) Dilma Rousseff
5) José Sarney
6) Fernando Collor
7) Michel Temer
Cool Jair Bolsonaro
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2166 on: January 01, 2023, 11:22:46 AM »

This new Lula's administration starting today has 37 ministers. The number of ministers from each party is the following one:

11 non-partisan
10 PT
3 MDB
3 PSB
3 UB
3 PDS
1 PDT
1 PSOL
1 PCdoB
1 Rede

https://g1.globo.com/politica/noticia/2022/12/29/governo-lula-tera-nove-partidos-em-37-ministerios-veja-distribuicao-por-siglas.ghtml
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2167 on: January 01, 2023, 11:25:20 AM »

Brasília is already overcrowded for the Inauguration Cerimony. Big audience, wearing red

buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2168 on: January 01, 2023, 12:54:46 PM »

Lula is already inside the Congress. He, his running mate Geraldo Alckmin and their wives went to the Congress in the presidential Rolls Royce

buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2169 on: January 01, 2023, 02:12:03 PM »

Foreign authorities who attended the Inauguration

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2170 on: January 01, 2023, 02:23:11 PM »

Finally, the Bolsonaro reign is history.

Question for Brazilian posters or posters more familiar with the country's politics: Is it common for vice presidents to take a ministerial role as well? I think that wasn't the case in the past, but Geraldo Ackmin is also Minister for Development and Trade. It's also kinda hilarious he ran against Lula in the 2006 election's second round.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2171 on: January 01, 2023, 03:23:34 PM »

Finally, the Bolsonaro reign is history.

Question for Brazilian posters or posters more familiar with the country's politics: Is it common for vice presidents to take a ministerial role as well? I think that wasn't the case in the past, but Geraldo Ackmin is also Minister for Development and Trade. It's also kinda hilarious he ran against Lula in the 2006 election's second round.

Not very usual at the federal level, but not the first time. Vice president José Alencar was already the Minister of Defense for a brief time during Lula's first term.

But at the state and municipal level, many vice governors and vice mayors perform role as secretary too
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #2172 on: January 01, 2023, 03:49:21 PM »

Lula and Alckmin arrived in the Congress. They were received by the president of Senate (who is also the president of the Congress) Rodrigo Pacheco and president of the House Arthur Lira. Rodrigo Pacheco first asked one minute of silence in honor of Pelé and emeritus pope Benedict XVI. Then, there was the national anthem, and then there was the tradicional event in which the new elected president swears to respect the Constitution. After that, the speech.
Lula's speech mentioned the need to unify the country but there was also (necessary) strong criticism against the previous administration.
Since Bolsonaro didn't attend, Lula received the sash from a group of people representing the "Brazilian people". One of them was cacique Raoni, one of the most important indigenous leaderships.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2173 on: January 01, 2023, 03:57:12 PM »

Magnificent.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #2174 on: January 01, 2023, 07:09:15 PM »

Usually the former president is the one who passes the presidential sash, so there was lots of suspense until the last minute regarding who would do this now.

The Lula government could technically choose anyone to do it, many were expecting Dilma to do it but that would be way too directly shady to Temer and Bolsonaro, as if their years were only a bad dream lol.

In the end they found a really beautiful solution by making “The Brazilian people” be the ones passing the sash through a group of average citizens, although one included famous Indigenous leader Raoni.

It was way cooler and powerful with symbolism than seeing Lula having to receive it from Bolsotrash!
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 [87] 88 89  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies