Impartial Speaker of the House of Representatives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:32:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Impartial Speaker of the House of Representatives
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Impartial Speaker of the House of Representatives  (Read 2245 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2006, 01:37:07 PM »

Suppose the office of Speaker of the House of Representatives had evolved as as an impartial like that of the British House of Commons.  Would there have been any real effect, or would it have merely led to the Majority Leader actually being the "majority leader" instead of the second-in-command of the majority party?
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 05:31:57 PM »

Not sure, but I'd like to find out. If nothing else, we'd have more representatives acting like representatives rather than members of a party.

Wonder who'd fit the bill in modern times?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 05:35:17 AM »

Not sure, but I'd like to find out. If nothing else, we'd have more representatives acting like representatives rather than members of a party.

Considering the examples of Australia, Canada and the UK, that's not necc. true.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 08:36:39 AM »

Considering the examples of Australia, Canada and the UK, that's not necc. true.

Most Speaker's over here tend to act in a, fairly, non-partisan way. There have been exceptions o/c.
The deputy speakers on the other hand...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 07:29:45 AM »

Most Speaker's over here tend to act in a, fairly, non-partisan way. There have been exceptions o/c.

I meant in terms of parliamentary loyalty
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2006, 08:43:36 AM »

I meant in terms of parliamentary loyalty

Oh. In which case it wouldn't affect anything at all. U.S Congressmen are far less likely to toe the party line than M.P's over here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies