The Presidential Succession of 1997
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:38:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Presidential Succession of 1997
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Presidential Succession of 1997  (Read 2874 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2006, 12:25:50 PM »

January 20, 1997, Democrats Bill Clinton and Al Gore are sworn in for the second time as President and Vice President of the United States, after having won re-election in a convincing victory in the 1996 Presidential election over Republicans Bob Dole and Jack Kemp.

One week to the day later, on January 27, 1997, President Clinton is found dead in the home of a Little Rock prostitute, Loretta Lacroix.

Vice President Al Gore and White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles are advised immediately of the death of the President, as well as the fact of where he was at the time of his passing.

It is left to newly appointed White House Chief of Staff Erskine Bowles to issue a statement to the nation.  A visibly shaken and emotional Bowles advises the nation of the tragic passing of President Clinton immediately upon being advised of Clinton's untimely death.  Bowles at this point, of course, does not release any details as to the place or the circumstances surrounding the President's unexpected and shocking demise.

A sullen and somber Vice President Al Gore, with Tipper and his family with him, as well as Senate and House leaders from both parties, White House officials, cabinet members, in attendance, is sworn in the same day as the 43rd President of the United States by Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, William Rehnquist, at a ceremony in the Blue Room at the White House.

Immediately after the swearing in, the new President, Al Gore, addresses the nation.  He pays tribute to President Clinton, and to his "outstanding contributions to America and to the world," detailing some of them, tells America he is deeply saddened and shocked by Clinton's passing, and offers his and his family's sincere and heartfelt condolences to Hillary and Chelsea Clinton, and to the rest of the Clinton family.  At this time, the new President does not take any questions, explaining now is a time for mourning and introspection.

The new administration knows it is only a matter of a very short time before the media starts to piece the story together of the actual, or rumored, events surrounding Clinton's untimely death. 
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2006, 03:36:18 PM »

February 3, 1997, President Gore meets with his brain trust, his faithful confidantes, his kitchen cabinet, Bill Daley, Chief of Staff Ron Klain, Roy Neel, Donna Brazille, Craig Smith, in the Oval Office, to discuss the most pressing and important item the new President must address, the selection of a new Vice President.

A long list of prospective candidates is discussed, most of them sitting Senators.  Names being considered are Pat Leahy of Vermont, Tom Daschle of South Dakota, Chuck Robb of Virginia, Daniel Patric Moynihan of New York, Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, Chris Dodd of Connecticut, Joe Biden of Delaware, Tom Harkin of Iowa, John Kerry of Massachusetts, Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia.

Other names discussed are Congressman Dick Gephardt of Missouri, former Senators George Mitchell of Maine, Sam Nunn of Georgia, former Secretary of State Warren Christopher, former Arizona Governor and current Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt.

"What do you think, Bill?" says Gore.  Replies Daley,  "There are many good and capable people to choose from.  Many of these would make fine Vice Presidents.  I think, though, that we should look elsewhere than the south for a new Vice President.  With President Clinton, rest his soul, from the south, and with you from the south, perhaps we should bring another region into play here.  The midwest will be crucial, I think, in 2000."  "Good point," says Gore.

Daley looks over to Brazille and says, "Donna, you have a good sense of what is going on with the electorate, with your ear to to the ground, do you have any strong views one way of the other?"  "Well." says Brazille, "you know, I really like Lieberman.  He's smart, experienced, respected, not from the south, and he's Jewish.  We would be breaking new ground by bringing in the first Jewish Vice President.  I think he would play well in 2000."  "Interesting." says Gore.

Klain contributes to the dialogue, "To begin with, with all due respect to the more senior names on the list, fine men all, but I am of the view that we should be looking to the new generation.  Moynihan, Mitchell, Nunn, Christopher, great public servants, but not the image, I believe, we want for the new administration.  We want to present an administration of now and of the future, not the past."  "Something to consider, certainly," says Gore.

'You know," says Neel, "I like Gephardt.  He has respect, he has political savvy, he knows his way around, and he would be great on the hustings.  He comes from the midwest, which will be crucial to our chances in 2000.  Leahy, a great Senator no doubt, though he is too bland, Daschle would be too abrasive in my view, Robb, with his LBJ connections, would evoke images of the far distant past of the Democratic Party, and Rockefeller, a top notch public servant, but I don't know about the wisdom of the Democratic Party having as the number two man a member of one of America's most powerful and wealthy corporate families."  "Thanks Roy," says Gore.

"I tend towards Biden," says Smith.  "He's solid on the foreign policy front, and he's capable.  I like Dodd and he would do well in the office, but he, along with Harkin, who would also do well, I see as too bland, no excitement generated.  Babbitt would do alright, but he's doing a teriffic job at Interior, and I think he's better in cabinet than as VP."  "Thank you Craig," says Gore.

The meeting adjourns with seemingly three favorites among the group emerging,  Joe Lieberman, Dick Gephardt, and Joe Biden. 

"Thanks so much for all your participation," says the President.  "You have given me some invaluable advice and input."

The President retires to the White House living quarters and enjoys a late night supper of garden salad and grilled salmon with Tipper.  "You know," says the President to Tipper, "we discussed a lot of names tonight for Vice President, some excellent names, but I'm not sure I'm completely convinced of any of them.  One name we didn't discuss at all, for some reason, keeps popping into my head, Senator Bob Graham of Florida."

Daley, Klain, Neel, Brazille, and Smith all go to Bullfeathers for a late night drink and snack.     
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2006, 10:30:12 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2006, 11:01:12 PM by Winfield »

February 4, 1997, America sees the distinctive face and hears the familiar voice of Senior White House Correspondent Helen Thomas as she breaks the story of the "facts" surrounding the death of President Clinton.

America is shocked, though some are not surprised, to learn that the former President was in the home of a Little Rock prostitute at the time of his death.

The White House is under intense pressure to comment.  White House Press Secretary Craig Smith comes out to meet the mass of reporters and correspondents.

"What did the White House know, and when did they know these details?" is the line of questions being thrown at the Press Secretary.

"Ladies and gentlemen," says Smith, "these details were known to the White House the day of the tragedy.  In deference to Mrs. Clinton and their daughter, Chelsea, we opted not to broadcast to the nation the circumstances at that time.  These were Mrs. Clinton's wishes.  I hope you can all understand and appreciate that.  As far as the White House is concerned, that is all that will be said in this matter.  Good day."

With that statement, the Press Secretary leaves the briefing room, taking no questions.

Two of President Gore's most trusted and faithful aides, Commerce Secretary Bill Daley and Chief of Staff Ron Klain, have a meeting scheduled with the President for 9:15 A.M. that same day, February 4.

When Daley and Klain arrive at the President's office, they are told by the secretary to go right in, that the President is expecting them.  As Daley and Klain enter the Oval Office, they see the President, slouched over his desk.  They rush over, and shake the President.

"Mr. President, Mr. President," says Daley, his voice trembling.  Klain rushes out to the secretary.  "Get emergency in here NOW," says Klain.  "Something has happened to the President.  Get the President's doctor."

The doctor and the emergency crew arrive within minutes.  "It's too late," says the President's doctor.  "The President is dead.  Looks like sudden heart failure.  I can't explain any further at this time, until an autopsy is performed." 

After first of all informing the First Lady, Tipper Gore, White House Chief of Staff Ron Klain instructs White House Press Secretary Craigh Smith to  immediately inform the media.  Word of the shocking and untimely death of President Al Gore is broadcast to a stunned nation and world within minutes.

House Speaker Newt Gingrich is in his office at the Capitol building at the time working on the legislative agenda.  He has no radio or television on in his office at the time the broadcasts are being made.  Gingrich's secretary rushes into his office and informs him of the tragic event.

"Mr. Gingrich," says a shaken secretary, "the President is dead." 

"What?" says Gingrich, stunned.  "This is terrible."

"It's all over the media." says his secretary, before bursting into tears.

At that very moment, while Gingrich is consoling the weeping secretary, White House Chief of Staff Ron Klain pokes his head inside the office of the Speaker through the open door. 

"Mr. Speaker," says Klain, visibly shaken.  "Yes, yes," says Gingrich, almost in a whisper, "come on in."  Gingrich knows what he is there for.  Outside the door, are now posted eight secret service agents.

"Mr. Speaker, as you know, the President is dead.  The administration was in the process of nominating a new Vice President, however, that process, as you also know, has not been completed.  No final, official decision was made of who the new Vice President was to be before the death of the President.  As the next in line of succession, that means you are to be the new President.  It is up to you to accept or decline, if you decline, we go to the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, as you know."

"I shall do my constitutional duty," says Gingrich, "and strive to serve this nation and it's people to the utmost of my ability."   

The Speaker tells his secretary to call his wife right away, and have her come to his office in the Capitol immediately.  A government limousine, accompanied by four secret service agents, picks up Mrs. Gingrich and takes her to the Capitol building and then into the Speaker's office.

The Chief Justice of the United States, William Rehnquist, arrives at the Speaker's office six minutes later.  Mrs. Gingrich arrives two minutes after that. 

To witness this historic occasion as well, party leaders from the House and the Senate from both parties are called into the Speaker's office, where Chief Justice William Rehnquist delivers the oath of office to Newton Leroy Gingrich, swearing him into office at 9:58 A.M. on February 4, 1997, as the 44th President of the United States of America.

President Gingrich prepares himself for the challenges that lie ahead, and braces himself for the onslaught he knows awaits.           

Joel the Attention Whore
Joel

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 10:48:07 PM »

Interesting.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 12:39:45 AM »

GinGRINCH as President. Joy.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 10:57:41 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2006, 11:04:39 PM by Winfield »

The day of the swearing in of Newt Gingrich proves to be an extremely busy day for the new President.

February 4, 1997, 11:00 A.M., President Gingrich meets with the National Security Council for the latest briefings.

February 4, 1997, 2:00 P.M., President Gingrich meets with the CIA leadership for the latest briefings.

February 4, 1997, 4:00 P.M., President Gingrich meets with FBI Director Louis Freeh and other top FBI officials for the latest briefings.

February 4, 1997, 6:00 P.M., President Gingrich meets with the full Gore cabinet for briefings on all government departments.

February 4, 1997, 9:00 P.M. EST, President Gingrich addresses the nation.

"My fellow Americans, the tragic events of the past few days are unprecedented in our history.  First of all, let me extend my wife's and my personal heartfelt condolences to Mrs. Clinton and the Clinton family and to Mrs. Gore and the Gore family.  As all of America, I am stunned and saddened by the passing of two great Americans, and two Presidents, President Clinton and President Gore.  Let me take this opportunity to acknowledge the tremendous contributions of both President Clinton and of President Gore, for their dedicated service to America and to it's people, and to their unyielding defense of freedom and democracy.  America will ever be greatful to these two great leaders."

"I address you for the first time as your President, in all humility.  With this unprecedented, tragic situation which has befallen our nation, it has become my constitutional responsibility and duty to assume the reigns of power.  I accept this office knowing full well the trials and struggles that lie ahead.  I ask for your support and for your prayers, as we face the trying times and tremendous tasks that confront this nation.  America has always proven equal to the task, and has always come through in the face of adversity, and we will do so again."

"It is my intention to pursue a government of unity, a government that will look beyond mere partisan differences, a government that will speak and act for all America.  God bless America, and long live the causes of liberty, freedom, democracy, and justice."

President Gingrich wastes no time in choosing key staff. 

February 5, 1997, Gingrich names former Missouri Senator John Danforth as White House Chief of Staff and names public relations executive Victoria Clarke as Presidential Press Secretary.

February 10, 1997, President Gingrich, in keeping with his pledge to have a unity government, nominates moderate Democratic Senator Kent Conrad of North Dakota for Vice President. 

For the time being, Gingrich keeps the Gore cabinet.

Kent Conrad wins quick and overwhelming approval to become Vice President from the House and the Senate, however, with some grumblings from liberal Democrats, on February 24, and is sworn in as the 46th Vice President of the United States the same day by Chief Justice of the United States, William Rehnquist.

February 27, 1997, Gingrich announces cabinet changes.  He drops  Secretary of State Madeleine Albright, replacing her with Condoleezza Rice, he drops Attorney General Janet Reno, replacing her with John Ashcroft, he drops Labor Secretary Alexis Herman, replacing her with Elaine Chao, he drops Health and Human Services Secretary Donna Shalala, replacing her with Tommy Thompson, he drops Education Secretary Richard Riley, replacing him with Roderick Page, he drops Veterans Affaris Secretary Jesse Brown, replacing him with Anthony Principal.

With a Republican controlled Congress, all of these nominees receive quick approval.

He keeps in place Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin, Defense Secretary William Cohen, Interior Secretary Bruce Babbitt, Agriculture Secretary Daniel Glickman, Commerce Secretary Norman Mineta, Housing and Urban Development Secretary Andrew Cuomo, Transportation Secretary Rodney Slater, Energy Secretary Bill Richardson. 
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 09:06:36 AM »

Keep going! I can only wonder what Election 2000 will bring.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies