Andrew Yang: Power damages the brain
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:39:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Andrew Yang: Power damages the brain
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Andrew Yang: Power damages the brain  (Read 465 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2021, 09:03:03 AM »

Yeah, my title, not his, I know. But it kind of sums it up, so I like it.

Much of what Yang writes rings disturbingly true to me. Granted it has been commented upon before by Lord Chesterton and others. Most depressing is the claim that studies have shown that the powerful lose the ability to empathize even if they are aware of the syndrome and try to affect the emotion, that they may reminder they once had the ability to summon up and feel, but now cannot, no matter how hard they try. That part of their brain is dead.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2021/10/03/andrew-yang-book-excerpt-campaigning-514967
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 01:15:11 PM »

You can't stop the Forward Party.
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 01:20:45 PM »

Maybe the early anarchists like Bakunin were right then; and the real solution to Utopia is the total abolition of state authority with collective rule of the means of production and state authority being the only way to mitigate something like this among the 'ruling class'.

Interesting theories after some light studying; didn't know about this.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 01:25:18 PM »

Didn't read the article, but
Joe Biden has been in power (yes, Senators have a lot of power) since 1973. Just saying.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 01:25:43 PM »

Politics is a sausage best not seen in the making, but dear f•••ing god why is he spouting PoliSci 101 memes.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 03:49:47 PM »

Chuck McGill, is that you?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 04:31:35 PM »

having power does tend to do stuff to people.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 05:51:41 PM »

Would he have been corrupted if he had won either of his campaigns?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2021, 12:31:20 PM »

No doubt Yang is a smart guy. I just read that he switched to being an Independent. He's been a Democrat all his life since age 20, but now he has switched parties.

Personally I think he's probably a nice guy and certainly has a lot on the ball, but he does not come across as presidential in my view. Especially the way he dresses with those button down shirts. He looks like a fashion statement from California Casual.

I posted this here because I couldn't find the other thread about him. Yes power changes people, but it doesn't have to be a negative thing. People infuse their egos into the mix and that's where the trouble begins.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2021, 02:01:43 PM »

Maybe the early anarchists like Bakunin were right then; and the real solution to Utopia is the total abolition of state authority with collective rule of the means of production and state authority being the only way to mitigate something like this among the 'ruling class'.

Wouldn't the people in charge of the "means of production" just have the same "disease" then? This sounds an awful lot like what they tried to do in the Soviet Union and that did not work out.

Not sure those bolded statements go together either. The "who watches the watchers" problem is always going to exist in any society other than full on barbarism with everyone running around killing and raping each other with impunity. I'd rather deal with the former than the latter.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2021, 08:29:46 PM »

Andrew Yang is a great example of power going to your head. Well, attention to be exact.

Yang came in what 7th place in the primaries? Didn't crack 1% nationally. Than came in 4th for New York Mayor.

He is a loser who thinks he has more influence than he actually does. Thinking making your own political party will mean ANYTHING just goes to show how big someone head can become by giving them lots of media attention
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 08:48:59 PM »

Personally I think he's probably a nice guy and certainly has a lot on the ball, but he does not come across as presidential in my view. Especially the way he dresses with those button down shirts. He looks like a fashion statement from California Casual.

The necktie is an antiquated East Coast formality that will be confined to the ash heap of history once the Boomers have died off.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 10:01:31 PM »

The necktie is an antiquated East Coast formality that will be confined to the ash heap of history once the Boomers have died off.

Maybe so but we ain't dead yet.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies