Do you support having the country vote on the Supreme Court's vacancies?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:46:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support having the country vote on the Supreme Court's vacancies?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you think it would be a good idea for the vacancies to be filled by the American electorate and not the President/Senate?
Yes (strongly)

Yes (somewhat)

Unsure / mixed opinion

No (somewhat)

No (strongly)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Do you support having the country vote on the Supreme Court's vacancies?  (Read 498 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2021, 05:42:18 PM »

The Supreme Court, since I think really 2000, has been controversial for its partisan activities in particular.    Now I've only been alive since 1985 so I really don't know the rest of the backstory first-hand, this is just what I've experienced.

Before that, it wasn't viewed as so aggressively partisan and purely ideological in its fervor (probably because it was a much more middle-of-the-road place at the time).

I propose stagnated "Senate-style" popular vote elections for all future vacancies - and retention elections every 10 years.

Basically the deal is also that as a SC justice, you are not allowed by constitutional amendment (this all would require a CA) to engage in any partisan activities.  You may be a member of a political party, but you cannot engage in actively campaigning for a party, or give a sermon to a partisan group advocating for partisan actions.

- The reason for this last part is that I am appalled at how this "impartial court" can truly expect people to buy this whole "above the fray" sh**t if they are going out there to very right wing or very left wing gatherings and blasting the other wing of the court.  It's so unprofessional.

So I say YES, yes yes Strongly!!!!
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 05:52:17 PM »

Very strongly NO

Judges should not be elected, the judiciary should stay out of electoral politics for obvious reasons (you don't want judges making decisions in order to get votes, justice should be justice, nothing else)

However, I am very strongly in favour of reforming the Supreme Court (for example, I think term limits are needed, and a more non-partisan way of picking justices is necessary too)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 05:57:28 PM »

hell no
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 08:47:45 PM »

Absolutely and doing so would stop the partisan gridlock of the last few nominations.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 09:44:43 PM »

or here's an idea: get rid of judges making laws or ruling on the legality of laws because we aren't in the middle ages or literally somalia
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 10:47:11 PM »

No I don't support electing judges.

or here's an idea: get rid of judges making laws or ruling on the legality of laws because we aren't in the middle ages or literally somalia

Judges shouldn't be "making laws" but if a majority legislative body passes a law that attacks the civil rights or liberties of the minority, then yes the judges damn well should be able to rule on the constitutionality of that and be able to overturn it as unconstitutional.

We are not Somalia true, but we are also not Ancient Greece or a Middle East country where winning a majority election is all that is necessary for the extremists to roll into town and start liquidating all of the people they don't like.
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 10:57:41 PM »

i'm not for democracy either
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 04:10:45 PM »

Could not be worse than the current system.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 04:14:32 PM »

No, the court is already too much of a partisan issue.

I think there are too many election in the US, especially races for statewide races or state court judges. Hardly anyone really pays attention to these in the first places. Not every position should be filled through elections, especially when the job in question more needs competence and knowledge rather than campaign skills.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 04:17:03 PM »

I think there are too many election in the US, especially races for statewide races or state court judges. Hardly anyone really pays attention to these in the first places. Not every position should be filled through elections, especially when the job in question more needs competence and knowledge rather than campaign skills.

Agreed

I think only President, Congress, Governor, State Legislature, and city and county councils/mayors should be elected
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 04:18:02 PM »

And yeah, making the Supreme Court elected would just make polarization worse, not better imo
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2021, 03:59:39 AM »

yeah, It might be better if we the people have the power of ruling on the legality of laws than nine un-elected judges in steely robes.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 07:29:33 AM »

Are most voters going to be aware of the principle that the Supreme Court is supposed to be made up of the most objective interpreters of law? Or are most voters, instead, going to be searching for candidates for the Court that share their political beliefs? If it's the former, great; if it's the latter, fuhgedaboudit.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 07:34:09 AM »

Could not be worse than the current system.

It really could though, is the thing. Have you seen ads for elected judges in lower courts?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies