When did Newsweek become a right-wing outlet?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 07:20:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When did Newsweek become a right-wing outlet?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: When did Newsweek become a right-wing outlet?  (Read 664 times)
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2021, 12:35:32 AM »
« edited: October 01, 2021, 12:39:46 AM by LVScreenssuck »

So I haven’t read Newsweek, sans the occasional linked article, since I the early 2000s but I remember them being a light, shallow newsmag with a fastidiously centrist line.

Then, when I was searching for any late breaking news on what’s going on in the House today when I came across this:
https://www.newsweek.com/nancy-pelosi-loses-battle-progressives-piling-pressure-manchin-sinema-1634539

Now, Pelosi is looking at a battle lost to far-left progressives who thought more money should have been tied to the bill. Her next target is likely moderate Democrats who opposed more spending.

Progressive Democrats have indicated all along they would vote against a $1.2 trillion bill for infrastructure that didn't also include an additional $3.5 trillion reconciliation bill that envelops far-left ideals like: free community college, lower child care costs, extended child tax credits, Medicare expansion, climate change and other items.

It’s not an opinion piece, as best I can tell that’s from the strait news section.

What gives? Was there a Murdoch or Sinclair buy-out? Where they always this way and I never noticed, because I haven’t picked up a Newsweek since I was 15? Are they doing the New York Times things where they hire a Republican press guy for balance and don’t edit his stories (and even NYT leaves that in the editorial bin)?

EDIT: Looking at their headlines now, it looks like the US and Politics ones are copied from a Fox News or Breibart type outfit

When did this happen?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 01:11:34 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsweek
Newsweek is an American weekly news magazine founded in 1933. It was a widely distributed newsweekly through the 20th century, with many notable editors-in-chief throughout the years. Newsweek was acquired by The Washington Post Company in 1961, under whose ownership it remained until 2010. Between 2008 and 2012, Newsweek experienced financial difficulties, leading to the cessation of print publication and a transition to an all-digital format at the end of 2012. It was relaunched (print and digital) in 2014 under the ownership of IBT Media, which also owns the International Business Times.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 02:05:09 AM »

Who owns IBT Media?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 02:43:39 AM »

Wikiing it, it looks like one of those 'online media' shops like Gawker (with a different audience obviously).

Ownership is just listed as two dudes with no pages of their own.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies