Execution Date Set For Likely Innocent Oklahoma Man
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 10:48:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Execution Date Set For Likely Innocent Oklahoma Man
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Execution Date Set For Likely Innocent Oklahoma Man  (Read 462 times)
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2021, 10:26:22 PM »

https://apnews.com/article/executions-oklahoma-07149e246d2206f68691933aca053182

For a quick review, Jones was convicted of murder despite significantly departing from the description of the killer from witnesses, in particular that the killer had two inches of hair while Jones had a shaved head at the time. A man matching the physical description was arrested but claimed to be the "getaway driver" for Jones in exchange to a plea deal and lesser sentence. He was the only witness against Jones. Three different sworn affidavits from inmates claim that he admitted to committing the murder while in prison.

There was some actual evidence against him as well at the initial trial, but the above info certainly meets the threshold for "reasonable doubt" in any estimation. I'd like to think something's going to be done about this, but this looks like Troy Davis all over again.

For all the people with stated "passion for criminal justice issues" around these days I'd really like it if for once that energy would be directed towards saving someone in a situation like this instead of revenge. Where are all the massive protests like we got for Floyd and Travyon Martin? This is essentially a scheduled state sanctioned murder, as was Troy Davis.

You just wouldn't have to worry about crap like this if we didn't have the death penalty. 
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 10:30:24 PM »

without reading the article I am going to go ahead and guess he's black.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 10:31:31 PM »

Bingo
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 10:42:43 PM »

Yeah, I thought I alluded to that with the Floyd, Martin, and Davis comparisons.

While that is a factor in the death penalty issue, it's not the whole issue. Around ten years ago an investigative journalist went back and proved after a guy was executed for arson that it was a gas fire and that guy was white. That and Troy Davis happening around the same time really solidified me against the death penalty. The state should not have that kind of power.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2021, 07:07:58 AM »

The death penalty is sick and should be abolished.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2021, 07:09:48 AM »

We all got to make sacrifices, you know. In some states, some of those sacrifices are human.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 01:21:46 PM »

The GOP and conservative courts really want to do something "pro-life?"

Abolish capital punishment now.

In fact, since POTUS is Catholic and SCOTUS is now majority Catholic, you'd think they would want to get rid of this atrocious relic of our criminal justice system just as the Pope does!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 01:24:24 PM »

The fact that some are nonchalant about innocent people being sentenced to death as a consequence of the death penalty makes my stomach turn.
Jeffster
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 01:47:56 PM »

Wow, you guys deleted my post that gave actual evidence that showed he was not innocent. Stop supporting this murderer, the so called "facts" you have are lies. The witness did not say he had 2 inch long hair, or 1 inch long hair, she said she could see about an inch of his hair between the top of his ear to the bottom of the skull cap he was wearing. Look up the court transcripts to see for yourself, or watch the interview she gave recently where she reiterated that point. She also said in her testimony that the shooter did not have corn rows. Jones' partner Chris Jordan, the guy he is claiming was the shooter, had corn rows at that time. Also the red bandana the shooter wore was found wrapped around the murder weapon In Jones' house, and it did not have any DNA on it from Chris Jordan, but did have DNA from Julius Jones on it.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 01:59:31 PM »

Wow, you guys deleted my post that gave actual evidence that showed he was not innocent. Stop supporting this murderer, the so called "facts" you have are lies. The witness did not say he had 2 inch long hair, or 1 inch long hair, she said she could see about an inch of his hair between the top of his ear to the bottom of the skull cap he was wearing. Look up the court transcripts to see for yourself, or watch the interview she gave recently where she reiterated that point. She also said in her testimony that the shooter did not have corn rows. Jones' partner Chris Jordan, the guy he is claiming was the shooter, had corn rows at that time. Also the red bandana the shooter wore was found wrapped around the murder weapon In Jones' house, and it did not have any DNA on it from Chris Jordan, but did have DNA from Julius Jones on it.

I literally didn't even read this because I don't even care if you're right, or if he's guilty or innocent. If not only is there anything resembling reasonable doubt that he MIGHT be innocent AND if the people who have reviewed all the facts have recommended that his sentence be commuted, to go ahead and kill him anyway? It doesn't get more reprehensible than that. The whole sick barbaric medieval punishment should be abolished entirely, but at the VERY least situations like this should not take even a 0.1% chance of executing an innocent man, or even just punishing a guilty man disproportionate to his crime, years after the fact, and without giving him the chance of redemption.
Jeffster
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2021, 04:35:06 PM by TexasGurl »

I literally didn't even read this because I don't even care if you're right, or if he's guilty or innocent. If not only is there anything resembling reasonable doubt that he MIGHT be innocent AND if the people who have reviewed all the facts have recommended that his sentence be commuted, to go ahead and kill him anyway? It doesn't get more reprehensible than that. The whole sick barbaric medieval punishment should be abolished entirely, but at the VERY least situations like this should not take even a 0.1% chance of executing an innocent man, or even just punishing a guilty man disproportionate to his crime, years after the fact, and without giving him the chance of redemption.

I never gave my opinion on the death penalty (I'm against it by the way) I'm just here to call out the lie that Julius Jones is innocent, he is not. He should spend the rest of his life behind bars for what he did to that family.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 05:54:55 PM »

White people tend to be very poor in identifying black people even without racism.
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 05:57:56 PM »

There is no way to know if he is innocent, God is never wrong
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 06:04:12 PM »

We all got to make sacrifices, you know. In some states, some of those sacrifices are human.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 06:38:54 PM »

I don’t even know what this is trying to say.
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 06:42:53 PM »

He’s saying that everyone deserves their fate
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 07:19:08 PM »

He’s saying that everyone deserves their fate

That's very Christian. So then abortion should be legal because if a fetus gets aborted, that's its fate.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 12:26:14 AM »

The GOP and conservative courts really want to do something "pro-life?"

Abolish capital punishment now.

In fact, since POTUS is Catholic and SCOTUS is now majority Catholic, you'd think they would want to get rid of this atrocious relic of our criminal justice system just as the Pope does!
Well at least the President does. But of course the President has next to no control over state executions.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies