New leaked memo shows Trump campaign knew post-election lawsuits were baseless
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 07:45:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  New leaked memo shows Trump campaign knew post-election lawsuits were baseless
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New leaked memo shows Trump campaign knew post-election lawsuits were baseless  (Read 842 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2021, 02:40:29 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-campaign-knew-lawyers-voting-184559787.html

Wow, what an absolute shocker!
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 02:55:18 PM »

The GOP was on the verge and still is of toppling our democracy based on a lie that they know is a lie.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 02:57:05 PM »

Thankfully, this insanity would have had at most 2 votes at SCOTUS, and conceivably none at all.
jd7171
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 03:30:10 PM »

This seems like a pretty big deal, if it's true. No one should be surprised by this but, IMO this is going to have big ramifications as far as lawsuits and exposure to future lawsuits goes.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 03:37:56 PM »

This seems like a pretty big deal, if it's true. No one should be surprised by this but, IMO this is going to have big ramifications as far as lawsuits and exposure to future lawsuits goes.

Yes, I think it makes Dominion's defamation lawsuits even stronger than they already were.
jd7171
Rookie
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 03:42:26 PM »

Yes, I think it makes Dominion's defamation lawsuits even stronger than they already were.

Agree, I also think this will hurt Trump also. This will just make Jan 6th look that much worse and will hurt him even more with independent and moderates.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 05:02:49 PM »

Now the question is, how many Republicans in Congress knew and still tried to overturn the election.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 05:16:40 PM »

Now the question is, how many Republicans in Congress knew and still tried to overturn the election.

All of them. Not a single Republican in either House of Congress actually thinks Trump won.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 05:24:34 PM »

All of them. Not a single Republican in either House of Congress actually thinks Trump won.

Exactly, that is why they are so desperate to destroy Cheney and Kinzinger. Considering what happened to Pence, just imagine what would be in store for the big lie promoters if the facts became widely accepted as such.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 05:25:44 PM »

Exactly, that is why they are so desperate to destroy Cheney and Kinzinger. Considering what happened to Pence, just imagine what would be in store for the big lie promoters if the facts became widely accepted as such.

This is why it’s now become anti-American to support Republicans for elected office. They can’t be trusted to uphold American democracy.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 06:06:52 PM »

As if the Big Lie couldn't get any more damaging. It's even worse to see this confirmed now.

The shamelessness of the the Republican Party, and our population's typical apathy in response, will be our nation's undoing.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 06:41:28 PM »

This should be front-page news.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 07:04:46 PM »

Dominion should bankrupt everyone who pushed these lies against them.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 08:39:06 PM »

This article is strictly about Dominion, title is misleading.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 09:12:35 PM »

This article is strictly about Dominion, title is misleading.

A majority of the lawsuits were involving state and local governments using dominion or smartmatic voting systems.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 09:14:22 PM »

Anyone with an 8th grade education knew this at the time.  So I suspected the odds were 50/50 the Trump campaign knew it.  But I am happy this has been confirmed.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 09:15:00 PM »

The claims about voting machines were always conspiracy theory trash. Bannon identified that this was trash early on, and unfortunately brought that lunatic Mike Lindell on his show because he wanted to boost his ratings.

Arguments about election law and registration changes always made more sense.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 09:52:24 PM »

The claims about voting machines were always conspiracy theory trash. Bannon identified that this was trash early on, and unfortunately brought that lunatic Mike Lindell on his show because he wanted to boost his ratings.

You can't retroactively change election law to invalid people's votes and thus "decertify" the state election result as the Trump campaign was pushing for,  you need to show that votes were either fraudulent or illegally altered.  

As far as I can tell, the Trump campaign's lies about Dominion and Smartmatic were the primary drivers they had to do so.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 11:01:36 PM »

They could have probably gotten somewhere arguing that the changes to the election laws close to the election prejudiced some voters, etc.  But the problem is (a) there's no way of quantifying that and (b) it was very unlikely to change the results in any one state, much less 3.  So they probably decided that being more outrageous was better as a PR stunt.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 11:03:47 PM »

I mean if that was the case then the Trump campaign should have sued in June/July so you get a ruling before the election happens . Waiting after the election or even super close to do so is obviously gonna result in those lawsuits being thrown out and the fact he waited that long is his own fault
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 11:07:10 PM »

I mean if that was the case then the Trump campaign should have sued in June/July so you get a ruling before the election happens . Waiting after the election or even super close to do so is obviously gonna result in those lawsuits being thrown out and the fact he waited that long is his own fault
[/quote

Some of the changes were made fairly late.  But they did wait til very late to signal/take action:

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-virus-outbreak-campaigns-local-elections-pennsylvania-355f8dca7a34a4902f42d8f4931c419e

The problem was they didn't want PA to find a solution, which they did, in that they separated the ballots that arrived late.  That way they could cleanly say that Biden wins even with just ballots that arrived by Election Day. 
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 11:13:47 PM »

I think the state parties actually tried to do that over Summer and early Fall to some extent.

Regardless, even if the two states where it potentially was an issue (GA and PA) are thrown out, Biden has 270 EVs. So it's just about delaying/delegitimizing Biden.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2021, 11:21:14 PM »

Some of the changes were made fairly late.  But they did wait til very late to signal/take action:

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-virus-outbreak-campaigns-local-elections-pennsylvania-355f8dca7a34a4902f42d8f4931c419e

The problem was they didn't want PA to find a solution, which they did, in that they separated the ballots that arrived late.  That way they could cleanly say that Biden wins even with just ballots that arrived by Election Day.  

Let us dispense with this fiction that Trump didn't know what he was doing, he knew exactly what he was doing.

The Big Lie was not formulated after the election.

The seeds were planted months prior as they laid the ground work to make election night and the counting process as confusing and murky as possible precisely so that Trump could go out and claim fraud if he lost. He could read the polls and hear the prognostications and he thus wanted to give himself and his ego an out to avoid being cast as a loser.

1. Republicans refused to cooperate on setting up processes to conduct the election in the midst of a pandemic.

2. They intentionally attacked mail in voting, knowing that Democrats would thus vote mail in while Republicans didn't. This created the red mirage and gave Trump his opening to cry fraud after the election

3. They desperately wanted the mail in ballots to include the post election arrivals and there to be no way to discern what was what.

The ironic thing is that their plans largely failed, but Trump still cannot come off as the loser. Hence why they paraded out the quacks and the circus clowns to make all kinds of outlandish and ridiculous claims including the whole Dominion fiasco, leading to multi-billion dollar defamation lawsuits against Fox, Newsmax, OANN and the circus clowns.

If Trump had the slightest shred of humility and restraint, none of this would have ever happened.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2021, 11:33:11 PM »

I think the state parties actually tried to do that over Summer and early Fall to some extent.

Regardless, even if the two states where it potentially was an issue (GA and PA) are thrown out, Biden has 270 EVs. So it's just about delaying/delegitimizing Biden.

Maybe at some point the Republicans could try not being a sh@^t party with a sh@%t platform and thus not have to rely on undermining pivotal institutions for the sake of muh turnout.

That is for the people who tried to down play this saying "it's okay, its just to boost turnout".

1. It didn't work too well in GA
2. For Trump it is real, because it shields his ego. He doesn't say "there were issues in two states". He says "I won a landslide and they stole it from me".
3. It divides the party between those who live in reality and those who are stuck in the echo chamber
4. People are being driven out of Congress because of this bs.
5. It is a slap in the face to all of the voters who were pissed about the very real mistakes that Trump made in office and want that assessed and corrected. From infrastructure not happening, to undermining the masks (I think this was a big factor in GA suburbs). Either the populist angle or the moderate suburban angle, there are deficiencies that will never be assessed and corrected as long as "we won 2020, lets do the same exact thing in 2024" is the mantra. 
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 12:04:13 AM »

Maybe at some point the Republicans could try not being a sh@^t party with a sh@%t platform and thus not have to rely on undermining pivotal institutions for the sake of muh turnout.

That is for the people who tried to down play this saying "it's okay, its just to boost turnout".

1. It didn't work too well in GA
2. For Trump it is real, because it shields his ego. He doesn't say "there were issues in two states". He says "I won a landslide and they stole it from me".
3. It divides the party between those who live in reality and those who are stuck in the echo chamber
4. People are being driven out of Congress because of this bs.
5. It is a slap in the face to all of the voters who were pissed about the very real mistakes that Trump made in office and want that assessed and corrected. From infrastructure not happening, to undermining the masks (I think this was a big factor in GA suburbs). Either the populist angle or the moderate suburban angle, there are deficiencies that will never be assessed and corrected as long as "we won 2020, lets do the same exact thing in 2024" is the mantra.  
A couple notes before addressing your points:

• The GOP's platform is pretty bad, but I think different people have different concepts of what bad is. The worst element of the platform to me (other than the religious stuff) is some of the language around debt. It's tricky to bridge this gap.
• We probably materially disagree, but I am an anti-institutionalist, and my hope is the GOP pivots towards creating parallel institutions, or destroying and *possibly* rebuilding. The church used to be one such bulwark, and it hasn't yet been replaced.

1. We will probably disagree on this topic, but a lot of the voters who didn't show up for the GA senate runoffs or flipped back to democrat were the same people who didn't show up for the CA recall or flipped back to democrat. Trump's coalitions are different from the rank-and-file GOP's, and I am reminded of the 2016 election (when Trump and Toomey won PA with different coalitions). I think GA was doomed the second the GOP didn't pass the second round of checks, anyhow.
2. Obviously Trump has an ego.
3-4. We obviously disagree on these points, so I will note I respect your opinion but don't feel the same.
5. Different people think Trump made different mistakes. Like you said, some of these come from the populist angle, some come from the moderate suburban angle. I think as long as Trump or someone else tries straddling the line, the party will be worse for it. Not all suburbanites are Romney-Clinton voters, but the convention was a love letter to them. The GOP performed worse in Oakland and Montgomery counties, but they should focus more on the fact that they didn't perform well enough in Bucks and Macomb. Not saying you disagree, but I think the party needs to consider that "moderate" to one group is different from "moderate" to another.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies