Which factors contributed the most to trends in the CA recall?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:59:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Which factors contributed the most to trends in the CA recall?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Pick any of the following which you feel played a significant role in how the recall election differed from Newsom 2018/Biden 2020
Latino realignment

High GOP differential turnout

Low Dem differential turnout

Educational polarization

Low Latino voter engagement

Migration to rural CA

Migration out of urban CA

Asian polarization due to COVID-19

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which factors contributed the most to trends in the CA recall?  (Read 465 times)
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2021, 11:33:24 AM »
« edited: September 21, 2021, 11:39:14 AM by America needs Fred Phelps »

To clear up what people actually think, because God knows the other threads have enough slapfighting.

Feel free to expound on specific areas/other factors below.

Reposted, forgot to enable multiple options in the last poll.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 11:56:29 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2021, 12:13:20 PM by Freethinker Tom Rice »

Some of my own notes:

• I’m fairly bullish when it comes to the shift of Hispanics towards the GOP, but even I wouldn’t call said trends a “re-alignment” so far, particularly in California.

• I fully believe a Hispanic re-alignment is occurring in Texas and much of Florida, but places like California and Arizona are a little less obvious.

• Even in California it certainly appears that they are trending to the right, but that isn’t really a full on re-alignment yet.

• Ditto for the suburban/college educated trends, which is a shift, but not a full on re-alignment YET- which Trump accelerated but certainly didn’t start at all, believe or not (Your suburbs have been shifting to the left since 2004, minus the dead cat’s bounce of 2012).

• What genuinely shocked me is the level of white support for Newsom, specifically college educated white support.

• He won that demographic (college whites) 70-30, which is mainly what contributed to the margins we saw.

• I expected whites statewide overall to favor recalling Newsom by single digit margins but no, they voted to keep him overall, and they didn’t even vote drastically to the right of non whites either.
            THG
            TheTarHeelGent
            United States

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 12:18:11 PM »

Some of my own notes:

• I’m fairly bullish when it comes to the shift of Hispanics towards the GOP, but even I wouldn’t call said trends a “re-alignment” so far, particularly in California.
            • I fully believe a Hispanic re-alignment is occurring in Texas and much of Florida, but places like California and Arizona are a little less obvious.
            • Even in California it certainly appears that they are trending to the right, but that isn’t really a full on re-alignment yet.
            • Ditto for the suburban/college educated trends, which is a shift, but not a full on re-alignment YET- which Trump accelerated but certainly didn’t start at all, believe or not (Your suburbs have been shifting to the left since 2004, minus the dead cat’s bounce of 2012).
            • What genuinely shocked me is the level of white support for Newsom, specifically college educated white support.
            • He won that demographic (college whites) 70-30, which is mainly what contributed to the margins we saw.
            • I expected whites statewide overall to favor recalling Newsom by single digit margins but no, they voted to keep him overall, and they didn’t even vote drastically to the right of non whites either.
            So overall, I believe that educational polarization, the Latino re-alignment/right shift, and conservatives leaving the state contributed to the results, but again, it would be more appropriate to judge this once the election results are final.
            Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
            theflyingmongoose
            Atlas Icon
            Norway

Political Matrix
            E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
            « Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 12:35:40 PM »

Some of my own notes:

So overall, I believe that educational polarization, the Latino re-alignment/right shift, and conservatives leaving the state contributed to the results, but again, it would be more appropriate to judge this once the election results are final.

Lol. THG thinks this result was caused by Republicans leaving the state. If anything, the flips of three congressional seats should prove otherwise.
            THG
            TheTarHeelGent
            United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 02:05:40 PM »

but again, it would be more appropriate to judge this once the election results are final.

To anyone mocking my statements- Keep this in mind!
            Del Tachi
            Republican95
            Atlas Icon
            United States

Political Matrix
            E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 02:22:45 PM »

Isn't what's notable about the CA results just how uniform the swings are from Newsom 2018/Biden 2020?  In a winning recall campaign (or even just a normal off-year environment), you would expect some places to trend very strongly relative to their normal midterm/presidential year performance but that doesn't seem to have happened here.

I'll read this as an indication of growing polarization within the electorate, which is obviously beneficial to the Democrats in a Biden +30 state.  I won't expect California to be a bright spot for the GOP going into 2022.
            Biden his time
            Abdullah
            YaBB God
            United States

P P P
            « Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 02:28:08 PM »

Orange County voting to the left of Riverside and San Bernardino can easily be explained by the large Asian proportion in the county.
            THG
            TheTarHeelGent
            United States

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2021, 12:02:13 AM »

Orange County voting to the left of Riverside and San Bernardino can easily be explained by the large Asian proportion in the county.

This, and OC Hispanics are more to the left of Riverside and San Bernardino Hispanics. Coastal Hispanics in California are certainly more left leaning than Inland ones- a trend similar to the white vote in California.
            THG
            TheTarHeelGent
            United States

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2021, 12:05:48 AM »

Isn't what's notable about the CA results just how uniform the swings are from Newsom 2018/Biden 2020?  In a winning recall campaign (or even just a normal off-year environment), you would expect some places to trend very strongly relative to their normal midterm/presidential year performance but that doesn't seem to have happened here.

I'll read this as an indication of growing polarization within the electorate, which is obviously beneficial to the Democrats in a Biden +30 state.  I won't expect California to be a bright spot for the GOP going into 2022.

I agree. The CAGOP should forget about le Orange County and focus on the Inland part of the state if they want to make any notable gains in that state in the coming future.
            Interlocutor is just not there yet
            Interlocutor
            Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
            E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2021, 03:43:32 AM »

Half of the comments in this thread are by THG.

Someone needs to slow down.
            Non Swing Voter
            Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 11:24:22 AM »

I don't agree with the premise of some of the choices.  There wasn't a latino realignment for instance.

The only two I voted for were the educational polarization and the asian polarization (due to GOP racism post covid).  Probably a ton of overlap in these choices as well because asians are fairly educated, especially in CA. 
            Schiff for Senate
            CentristRepublican
            Atlas Icon
            United States

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 11:40:56 AM »

Some of my own notes:

Lol. THG thinks this result was caused by Republicans leaving the state. If anything, the flips of three congressional seats should prove otherwise.

Yeah, I mean Newsom didn't do that well for a CA Democrat. This is THG trying to pretend a 20+ point Democratic margin in CA is an anomaly in any way. It happens all the time.
            PSOL
            Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 03:13:33 PM »

Progressives and Leftists either voted No or stayed home, seeing that it was a Republican-backed recall. A good 10-20% swing against Newsom was thus averted.
            All Along The Watchtower
            Progressive Realist
            Atlas Icon
            United States

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2021, 03:15:52 PM »

The CAGOP being incompetent and horrendous.
            Pages: [1]  
            « previous next »
            Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies