MI-GOV: Strategic National/Craig Internal: Whitmer +1
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:18:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2022 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  MI-GOV: Strategic National/Craig Internal: Whitmer +1
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI-GOV: Strategic National/Craig Internal: Whitmer +1  (Read 1128 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 21, 2021, 05:22:42 AM »

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2021, 05:31:34 AM »

Tossup/Tilt R.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2021, 07:48:27 AM »

Whitmer will win 52/48
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 08:18:04 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2021, 08:21:54 AM by Triangle Man »

If they can’t win in an internal…. I think the only way Whitmer loses is if Biden eventually goes on to lose, too.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 08:26:02 AM »

If they can’t win in an internal…. I think the only way Whitmer loses is if Biden eventually goes on to lose, too.

There's plenty of time for the environment to get better for Republicans, which is likely given history.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 08:26:56 AM »

There's plenty of time for the environment to get better for Republicans, which is likely given history.

Plenty of time for it get better for Ds, too.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 08:30:54 AM »

A lot of vulnerability is priced in favor of the Rs at this point. They just have to campaign better or wait for another shoe to drop (which eventually they won’t be able to fix)  to get a better environment. Even for Trump, things improved enough to win Florida, Georgia, Missouri, and SD from this time in the cycle.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 08:35:20 AM »

There were sizable swings in favor of the incumbent president's party in the Upper Midwest between 2010 and 2012 as well as between 2018 and 2020, so Whitmer losing would not at all point toward a Biden loss in MI in 2024. Granted, a lot of those swings from 2010/2018 can be attributed to the disparity in R and D turnout (which I don’t think will be nearly as pronounced in 2022), but it’s still important not to read this much into these races for 2024.

This is a margin-of-error race and treating Whitmer like some unbetable titan is weird. If she wins, it will mostly be due to dynamics beyond her control (record blue state polarization, supercharged suburban trends, R collapse with the non-white vote), but she’s highly vulnerable even in a more neutral year. KS and arguably WI likely flip before MI, but there aren’t many other gubernatorial races I’d expect the GOP to flip if they can’t win MI.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 08:37:01 AM »

A lot of vulnerability is priced in favor of the Rs at this point. They just have to campaign better or wait for another shoe to drop (which eventually they won’t be able to fix)  to get a better environment. Even for Trump, things improved enough to win Florida, Georgia, Missouri, and SD from this time in the cycle.

Yeah, it really depends - if say, COVID recedes (for mostly good this time), and Dems can actually pass Biden's agenda bills this year, I could see the outlook looking much rosier for Dems.

If those 3 things don't happen, then it could be a totally different story
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 10:03:51 AM »

There were sizable swings in favor of the incumbent president's party in the Upper Midwest between 2010 and 2012 as well as between 2018 and 2020, so Whitmer losing would not at all point toward a Biden loss in MI in 2024. Granted, a lot of those swings from 2010/2018 can be attributed to the disparity in R and D turnout (which I don’t think will be nearly as pronounced in 2022), but it’s still important not to read this much into these races for 2024.

This is a margin-of-error race and treating Whitmer like some unbetable titan is weird. If she wins, it will mostly be due to dynamics beyond her control (record blue state polarization, supercharged suburban trends, R collapse with the non-white vote), but she’s highly vulnerable even in a more neutral year. KS and arguably WI likely flip before MI, but there aren’t many other gubernatorial races I’d expect the GOP to flip if they can’t win MI.

Honestly, I was expecting a response like this but couldn’t succinctly place in words why I still feel that this will be more like 18-20 or 14-16 than 10-12. The polarization is a big part of it and somehow, but I don’t know actually how, Dem’s downballot and overall fatigue would make 22 not be an aberration from 24.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 08:38:48 PM »

Do Michiganders react negatively to Whitmer hypocritically breaking her own Covid rules? It's certainly something that makes her less likeable for me but I think about it differently than Americans, and of course polarisation is very strong (I'd vote for her for sure but in NZ that kind of thing might get me to vote against a candidate).
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 07:03:07 PM »

I'm pretty confident that Craig will be Dick DeVos 2.0
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2021, 07:08:12 PM »

This implies that he would lose by double digits.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2021, 07:14:34 PM »

He also thought that Debbie Stabenow was the next Carl Levin and that she would win reelection by  Levin margins in 2018. I get that Stabenow's popularity/strength as a candidate is overstated to a comically absurd degree, but that was a weird prediction even by meme standards.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2021, 07:19:56 PM »

He also thought that Debbie Stabenow was the next Carl Levin and that she would win reelection by  Levin margins in 2018. I get that Stabenow's popularity/strength as a candidate is overstated to a comically absurd degree, but that was a weird prediction even by meme standards.

You're right. He's always come across as very confident in Democratic prospects in Michigan. More realistically, it's clear that Whitmer is vulnerable, and this will be a very competitive, closely-fought race that could plausibly go either way next year. And Whitmer's approvals are basically even, another indicator of how polarizing a figure she's been.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 07:28:13 PM »

I've actually got somewhat of a working theory that loss of congress might the give the incumbent president a little more benefit of the doubt amongst the public. Again, I'm placing emphasis on "benefit of the doubt" rather than popularity. I don't know if this is credible or just a stupid shower thought, but it seems reasonable to me that a swing state like Michigan could hand the opposition party victories in the midterm, then shift more towards the incumbent party after the opposition inevitably makes fools of themselves once in control of congress. Again, this isn't a hill I'd die on, but since congress is consistently viewed as the least popular institution in America, it stands to reason that control of congress doesn't do a party any favors, especially among swing voters that are always choosing what they consider the lesser of two evils.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2021, 07:35:59 PM »

Ultimate tossup
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2021, 09:07:30 PM »

I suppose I should have been more specific, but I see a lot of the same parallels in that DeVos was considered a formidable oppponent and Granholm vulnerable in the beginning, but who ends up being a paper tiger.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2021, 09:20:40 PM »

I've actually got somewhat of a working theory that loss of congress might the give the incumbent president a little more benefit of the doubt amongst the public. Again, I'm placing emphasis on "benefit of the doubt" rather than popularity. I don't know if this is credible or just a stupid shower thought, but it seems reasonable to me that a swing state like Michigan could hand the opposition party victories in the midterm, then shift more towards the incumbent party after the opposition inevitably makes fools of themselves once in control of congress. Again, this isn't a hill I'd die on, but since congress is consistently viewed as the least popular institution in America, it stands to reason that control of congress doesn't do a party any favors, especially among swing voters that are always choosing what they consider the lesser of two evils.

Most voters don’t even realize who controls congress.  They often just think the President’s party always does.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2021, 09:43:03 PM »

Most voters don’t even realize who controls congress.  They often just think the President’s party always does.

The opposition party gets a lot more attention once they control congress, and voters notice that even if they're unfamiliar with who's in control.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2021, 03:51:25 PM »

Given that this poll released before the recent downturn in Biden's approval ratings, safe to say Whitmer's a couple points behind now.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2021, 04:10:39 PM »

Seems about right. WI and MI are Tossup for me right now. PA is Tilt D because it's less elastic and has several strong potential D candidates (and most potential R candidates are weak and are already proven losers).
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2021, 12:13:01 PM »

Seems about right. WI and MI are Tossup for me right now. PA is Tilt D because it's less elastic and has several strong potential D candidates (and most potential R candidates are weak and are already proven losers).

I think that WI is tilt R (possibly lean R), but I agree with your assessment of MI and PA.

Shapiro isn’t an unbeatable titan, but Barletta is not an impressive candidate from what I’ve seen so far.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2021, 10:51:54 PM »

Yeah, it really depends - if say, COVID recedes (for mostly good this time), and Dems can actually pass Biden's agenda bills this year, I could see the outlook looking much rosier for Dems.

Virginia Democrats passed a slew of progressive bills
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2021, 04:32:06 AM »

Virginia Democrats passed a slew of progressive bills

This. McAuliffe absolutely sh*t the bed. He had a lot of policy accomplishments to tout, so why didn't he?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies