Is de-extincing animals species ethical? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:09:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is de-extincing animals species ethical? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is de-extincing animals species ethical?  (Read 684 times)
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« on: September 22, 2021, 03:24:22 PM »

I wouldn’t say it’s unethical, but we shouldn’t do it. Those species died out for a reason, and they likely will just die out again. If they don’t, they’ll probably drive other animals to extinction that would’ve otherwise been fine.
I mean, it depends. For (non-avian) dinosaurs and other species that died off in the various mass extinction events, they were built for drastically different environments and they couldn’t be expected to thrive outside of captivity anyway.

But, for a good chunk, I’d dare to say most, of the species from the Holocene era, the reason they died off was directly related to human activity. Whether it would be prudent to bring them back is a different issue, but I don’t see the ethical issue with bringing back a species like the Mammoth that humans probably killed off in the first place.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 10:04:39 PM »

I want to see a Tasmanian Tiger.

And a nasty Tyrranosaurus Rex for some entertainment.
T-Rex becomes allot less cool when you figure out it’s just a big ostrich.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies