Which has produced better music: Fall Out Boy or Catholicism? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:27:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Which has produced better music: Fall Out Boy or Catholicism? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which has produced better music: Fall Out Boy or Catholicism?
Fall Out Boy

Catholicism

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 68

Author Topic: Which has produced better music: Fall Out Boy or Catholicism?  (Read 2758 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: September 19, 2021, 09:52:31 PM »

Fall Out Boy of course. They produced two of the best pop-punk albums ever made, and no matter how bad they get now nothing can erase that. There is no Catholic music that can even hold a candle to the first two Fall Out Boy albums.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 10:11:14 PM »

BRTD, what is it with you and Catholicism? I'm no fan of it myself, I'm just curious as to why you seem to detest it so much.
It's a very poor fit for my subculture, to put it mildly. And people here have weird attitudes about it and that no one EVER leaves it...even though there are many people at my church alone that did. It's just perplexing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 10:13:54 PM »

BRTD, what is it with you and Catholicism? I'm no fan of it myself, I'm just curious as to why you seem to detest it so much.

It's a very poor fit for my subculture, to put it mildly.

Protestantism isn't a f**king subculture.
Not really today (you could make an argument for it in 16th century Europe), but I'm referring to DIY Hardcore/Punk/Emo.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 10:21:43 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2021, 10:25:41 PM by we're busy touching till we're dizzy stupid »

To elaborate, a big factor initially when the scene developed was being positive and rejecting a lot of the negative messages and nihilism in rock music at the time, (this is a big part of why straightedge developed, even though I am not straightedge of course, but they were about rejecting drug use and alcohol as part of this), which is also part of why so many Christians were into it starting in the 90s. This is also why you saw so much hostility at that time toward metal music in it (because metal promoted violence and nihilism and negative things*) and rap (which promoted drug use and violence*) However this also led to opposition to racism**, sexism***, homophobia and abusive authority. The latter three are kind of inseparable from Catholicism, making it kind of an oil and water sort of thing, and thus why you didn't see any Catholics in it and anyone who was raised as such would either convert to some other type of Christianity or Hare Krishna if it was the 80s (see Shelter) or of course simply "none" and be an atheist/agnostic. That's an extreme oversimplification obviously and I could probably write a whole script for a documentary on this, but it gives you the rough idea.

*Before you all flip out and scream about how this is not what rap and metal are all about...dial your clock back to the mid-90s, because that's the time frame I'm referring to.

**Yes, I am fully aware of how ironic this is considering the scene is like 90+% white and <1% black.

***Yes, I am aware that there were hypocritical people in bands and involved in the scene who engaged in sexual misconduct and abuse, unfortunately that's a problem everywhere.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 12:08:55 AM »

Catholic Christianity has inspired some of the greatest music ever created by mankind
What pop-punk, emo or melodic hardcore music has Catholicism ever inspired?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 02:38:45 AM »

There is FWIW one Catholic pop-punk song I've heard, and it's actually not bad, although it's nowhere near the best of the genre and certainly not on par with the first two FOB records.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 12:16:13 PM »

Do you mean like church music or just any song written by a Catholic?
I was thinking of the former but honestly I can't think of any good music written by Catholics either.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 01:18:16 PM »

I was thinking of the former but honestly I can't think of any good music written by Catholics either.
Are you serious right now?
Who are some Catholics who make pop-punk, post-hardcore, emo, melodic hardcore, etc.? I can't think of any.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 11:40:03 PM »

Did Fall Out Boy write the Verdi Requiem?

That's what I thought.
No, but they wrote this which absolutely blows that out of the f[inks]ing water.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 11:29:40 AM »

No he says his family is.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2021, 11:34:10 AM »

Bruce Springsteen was raised Catholic.

No other answer needed.
I'm talking about people who are Catholic, not just raised Catholic.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 01:14:19 PM »

That's what I thought.
No, but they wrote this which absolutely blows that out of the f[inks]ing water.

No, nothing blows Dies Irae out of the water. Some great songs are comparably good, but nothing beats it in a landslide.

Frank Sinatra... Bruce Springsteen... Bing Crosby...
There was barely any good music made until about the late 70s though so citing music before that as better than the first Fall Out Boy albums is weird.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 01:33:39 PM »

That's what I thought.

No, nothing blows Dies Irae out of the water. Some great songs are comparably good, but nothing beats it in a landslide.

There was barely any good music made until about the late 70s

Um... what!?
I mean there was some exceptions like Bob Dylan and  this but it wasn't until about then that consistently good music started being made.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 02:14:27 PM »

That's what I thought.

There was barely any good music made until about the late 70s though so citing music before that as better than the first Fall Out Boy albums is weird.

What do you think of this though? Just dropped today.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 07:29:09 PM »

BRTD's insecurity about his own beliefs and taste drive him to overcompensate by obnoxiously inflicting those opinions on others so that he can blame the widespread social rejection of his foul preferences on his behavior rather than the preferences themselves.
The funny thing is most people I know in real life who aren't into my music like my co-workers or older people at my church tend to assume I actually have great taste in music because I go to shows all the time and have such a huge record collection and it's usually bands they've never heard of so they assume I'm some sort of esoteric connoisseur or something.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2021, 02:14:08 AM »

This is just Patrick Stump and not the whole band but oh holy sh!t does this blow any Catholic music out of the water.

Also Andy Hurley's earlier band is absolutely legendary:

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies