Why don't Chinese-Americans vote Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:46:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why don't Chinese-Americans vote Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why don't Chinese-Americans vote Republican?  (Read 1528 times)
Builder Refused
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2021, 01:56:06 AM »

Asians I believe are also the youngest group in the country so that factors into the answer. There’s a notable history of racism against East Asians in the US going back to the 1800s, it’s possible that Vietnamese people are a bit inured to this and see themselves outside of those stereotypes.
Anecdotally, there’s one young Asian guy I canvassed once for the 2020 primary who came off very cynical and sort of teased me. It’s likely that those among them who are the type to cynically vote for Trump just don’t care in the first place. Like if you’re white you can be a groyper, he’s probably just disillusioned and a gamer.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2021, 05:36:36 AM »

Asians I believe are also the youngest group in the country so that factors into the answer. There’s a notable history of racism against East Asians in the US going back to the 1800s, it’s possible that Vietnamese people are a bit inured to this and see themselves outside of those stereotypes.
Anecdotally, there’s one young Asian guy I canvassed once for the 2020 primary who came off very cynical and sort of teased me. It’s likely that those among them who are the type to cynically vote for Trump just don’t care in the first place. Like if you’re white you can be a groyper, he’s probably just disillusioned and a gamer.
Nah, us cynical Asians vote for Biden.
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2021, 01:24:38 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2021, 01:37:09 AM by khuzifenq »

The thread seems to be based on the misconception that Chinese-Americans are "fleeing from communism" when in fact the Chinese who fled from communism did so seventy-five years ago and went to Hong Kong or Taiwan... Chinese vote the way that other immigrants do and for the same reasons.

My parents’ generation of Chinese immigrants might not have directly fled from Mao’s China, but that doesn’t mean they weren’t affected by his legacy. I don't think "muh communism" is a particularly convincing or relevant explanation for (baseline) GOP support among Chinese or other Asian groups, it goes hand in hand with other factors.

I suspect Taiwanese and Hong Kong immigrants to the US were disproportionately from families that fled Mainland China after Mao’s takeover, based on what I know about my childhood Taiwanese/Hong Kong American friends and acquaintances’ families. That definitely seems to be the case with many prominent Taiwanese- and Hong Kong-origin Chinese American figures (Andrew Yang is an exception, as his parents were apparently born in Taiwan before 1949).

I have heard many Indian friends of mine complain over the past half-decade that their parents are "too woke" now, not because my friends disagree with their parents but because it's exhausting to have to be talking about social justice issues all the time. I know that my own parents, who were always reflexively pro-police in an unthinking way, have had their view turned to hostility by constant images of police murder.

Could very well be reverse psychology. Don’t see why this would only be an Indian thing, although it doesn’t surprise me that Indian immigrants may be on the more “woke” side than other Asians.

I don't think Vietnamese American voters are more "inured" to anti-East/Southeast Asian stereotypes, so much as being relatively skeptical of the Dems/Left while also turning against the GOP.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2021, 01:43:01 AM »

I know that every thread on this board becomes about Indians because this forum is full of Indian teens, and I'm loath to participate in this threadjacking, but I feel like I need to point out that the plural of anecdote is not data and that I have anecdotal evidence of my own in the other direction. I have heard many Indian friends of mine complain over the past half-decade that their parents are "too woke" now, not because my friends disagree with their parents but because it's exhausting to have to be talking about social justice issues all the time. I know that my own parents, who were always reflexively pro-police in an unthinking way, have had their view turned to hostility by constant images of police murder.

What, I have mostly seen the opposite with kids of Indian parents being far more woke then their parents. Like most Indian parents I know are pretty hostile to woke politics while their kids are mostly meh.

It is true though it was far more likely for Indians to support Trump in 2020 than Clinton 2016 and Romney 2012 as well. The reason for this is culturally conservative non white voters are moving more republican and culturally liberal suburban white voters across the board are moving democratic. That is the last part of the ideological sorting that was left and it is taking place right now
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2021, 10:29:40 PM »

I have spent 20 years in the Asian heavy county of Fairfax and being Chinese myself I will try to answer this. Asians on the macro level aren’t that different from blacks/hispanics in how they feel that American society is biased against them. Blacks/Hispanics will often point out how they achieve lower socioeconomic outcomes and endure negative societal perceptions in crime and stereotyping, similarly a lot of Chinese Americans feel that despite having superior educational attainment and work ethic they are being passed over for job promotions and career advancement via the “bamboo ceiling” and having been labeled the “model minority”. Fundamentally, Asians like other minorities feel strongly that the standard American cultural system is rigged against them and by extension an indictment on the status quo policy of the Republican party.

Piggybacking on this, I've noticed a pattern of Chinese individuals, culture, organizations, establishments, etc. being generalized as "Asian" to a greater extent than other Asian groups- especially on the Internet and in the media. I understand why many in the Taiwanese and Hong Kong diasporas may prefer to speak of certain aspects of their culture, experience, and/or identity in relation to China/Chinese-ness/the PRC as "Asian". But it baffles me to see certain Overseas Chinese refer to their "CCP worshipping parents" (who are clearly and specifically of Chinese descent and heritage) as "Asian parents", or specifically Chinese cultural and demographic motifs in Richmond, BC (Vancouver's Chinese ethnoburb) as "Asian".

I wonder if this disproportionate racialization of one Asian ethnicity in particular has had any downstream sociological and/or political implications beyond the Mung Beans' and the The Ex-Factor's of America simply experiencing the microaggression of constantly being mistaken as ethnic Chinese. I wonder if the whole "Chinese" = "Asian" thing has made Chinese Americans more D than they otherwise would be, even before the Trump era...
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies