SB 105-03: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Repeal Act (Rejected) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:37:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 105-03: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Repeal Act (Rejected) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 105-03: Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Repeal Act (Rejected)  (Read 3398 times)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« on: September 17, 2021, 07:22:03 PM »

Thank you.

It is long past time to repeal this foolish bill. The ban has done nothing to actually address gun violence; the overwhelming majority of shootings do NOT involve automatic weapons, and “assault weapon” is a very meaningless and vague term that can include weapons that are far less powerful and lethal than a simple hunting rifle. All in all, this bill has and remains a gross infringement upon the liberties of Atlasian citizens. I have always maintained that the right to bear arms is a necessity for a free and secure people. I ask my colleagues for their support.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 11:00:59 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2021, 06:05:04 PM by Senator WD »

Offering an amendment to narrow the scope of the repeal. While I would rather not do this, if it makes it more palatable to my fellow Senators who have concerns about a full repeal, so be it. The focus here is on the pistol ban, by far the most extreme and egregious portion of the AWB.

AN ACT
To repeal provisions of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Be it enacted by the Senate of the Republic of Atlasia assembled

Section 1. Title

1. This act may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Repeal Act.

Section 2. Definitions

2. Section II, Subsections D.) and E.) of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed in their entirety effective immediately.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 06:04:04 PM »

Offering an amendment to narrow the scope of the repeal. While I would rather not do this, if it makes it more palatable to my fellow Senators who have concerns about a full repeal, so be it. The focus here is on the pistol ban, by far the most extreme and egregious portion of the AWB.

AN ACT
To repeal provisions of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act.

Section 1. Title

1. This act may be cited as the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Repeal Act.

Section 2. Definitions

2. Section II, Subsections D.) and E.) of the Federal Assault Weapon and Automatic Weapon Ban Act are hereby repealed in their entirety effective immediately.

Just FYI, I made a typo on the amendment; the intention is to repeal D and E, not D and C.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 07:36:10 PM »

AN ACT

Section 1. Title

Section 2. Definitions

Just FYI, I made a typo on the amendment; the intention is to repeal D and E, not D and C.
Requesting clarification on what D and E are and why they, specifically should be removed from this act. I would like to make an informed vote on this bill.

VP Blair has already laid out the full text of the original law for all to view, but for clarification, Sections D and E deal with pistols. Section D bans the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine in front, or outside of the pistol grip. Section E bans the purchasing, manufacturing, sale, or possession of any semi-automatic pistol with a detachable magazine which can accept more than 15 rounds.

To answer the Senator’s question of why they should be removed; Well, these restrictions on pistols, one of the most commonly owned firearms, are, for a lack of a better term, ridiculous. They don’t even ban pistols wholesale, but ban them based upon the capacity of its magazine and the location of it. I’ve seen little evidence that these convoluted restrictions have done anything to save lives. I would have prefer a total repeal of the AWB, but I’ve become skeptical the support exists for it at the moment. In the interest of legislative feasibility, this amendment is the best path forward in my view for those who support gun rights. Repealing these provisions are a good first step.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 07:59:51 PM »

Aye
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 11:30:05 AM »

I don’t think there’s too much more to be said on this; so I’ll motion for a final vote.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 04:27:53 AM »

AYE
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine