Most liberal city in California
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:51:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Most liberal city in California
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Most liberal city in California  (Read 774 times)
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2021, 09:51:54 AM »

What is the most liberal city in California? I imagine it's one Feinstein lost in 2018. Maybe Arcata?
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 01:09:59 PM »

I've been to Arcata. It's definitely a hippie paradise.

But, I think it has to be Berkeley. It is probably the progressive intellectual capital of the country.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 07:11:55 PM »

Define Liberal... Wink

Not to be pedantic but.... Smiley
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 08:30:06 PM »

But, I think it has to be Berkeley. It is probably the progressive intellectual capital of the country.
Feinstein won Berkeley, but lost Arcata in 2018.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 10:43:44 PM »

Feinstein won Berkeley, but lost Arcata in 2018.
Any other data points on this? It's not like De Leon monopolized the liberal vote, and the other things about Berkeley go against it not being the most liberal.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 02:18:18 AM »

Worth noting Trump came in third in Berkeley in 2016, which is something that happened in very few other cities and locales (no matter how Democratic) in the country.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 06:39:28 PM »

Isn't ticket splitting common in Berkeley?
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2021, 03:39:07 PM »

Worth noting Trump came in third in Berkeley in 2016, which is something that happened in very few other cities and locales (no matter how Democratic) in the country.

Third?!?! Who beat him (other than Clinton, I mean)? Gary Johnson would make sense in most circumstances, since he beat all other third-party/independent candidates (Evan McMullin would make sense in a hypothetical, heavily Mormon town - though then again, Trump would still beat Clinton in such a jurisdiction), but I can actually see Jill Stein (given how progressive Berkeley is) coming second in the city.

(Interestingly, there was a county in which Jill Stein beat Donald Trump, and by a gigantic amount - the miniscule Kalawoa County, the second-smallest county by population with 82 residents and smallest county by area, cast 20 votes altogether in 2016 - 14 for Clinton, 5 for Stein and one for Trump. In 2020, Biden beat Trump 23-1 in the county, with zero votes cast for any other candidate.)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 05:18:03 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2021, 07:53:04 PM by "?" »

Third?!?! Who beat him (other than Clinton, I mean)? Gary Johnson would make sense in most circumstances, since he beat all other third-party/independent candidates (Evan McMullin would make sense in a hypothetical, heavily Mormon town - though then again, Trump would still beat Clinton in such a jurisdiction), but I can actually see Jill Stein (given how progressive Berkeley is) coming second in the city.

Jill Stein came in second. She also came close in Oakland.

Berkeley
Clinton       57,750    90.4%
Stein            2,947      4.6%
Trump          2,031      3.2%

Oakland
Clinton     158,926    89.4%
Trump          8,470      4.8%
Stein            6,816      3.8%

As for OP's question, it's a tossup between Berkeley & Arcata. If I had to pick, I'd go with Arcata. And no, it has nothing to do with the 2018 CA Senate results.

Fun fact: Jill Stein got 10.1% in Arcata, the only California town she got double-digits in. Point Arena is close behind at 9.7%

Wouldn't be surprised if Arcata was her best city nationwide (Kalawoa County exempted).
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 10:48:31 AM »

Jill Stein came in second. She also came close in Oakland.

Berkeley
Clinton       57,750    90.4%
Stein            2,947      4.6%
Trump          2,031      3.2%

Oakland
Clinton     158,926    89.4%
Trump          8,470      4.8%
Stein            6,816      3.8%

As for OP's question, it's a tossup between Berkeley & Arcata. If I had to pick, I'd go with Arcata. And no, it has nothing to do with OP's disturbing obsession with the 2018 CA Senate results.

Fun fact: Jill Stein got 10.1% in Arcata, the only California town she got double-digits in. Point Arena is close behind at 9.7%

Wouldn't be surprised if Arcata was her best city nationwide (Kalawoa County exempted).

Yeah, the thing about Kalawoa County that allows it to be this extreme (going from giving 25% of the vote to the Greens to giving it 0%) is the fact that its population is extremely small compared to moderately large cities like Oakland. I don't think there's a single city with a population of over, say, 1,000, that gave Stein that much. What you need to remember is that 25% in Kalawoa is still just five voters, whereas garnering 25% in a place like Arcata would mean getting way more raw votes for Stein. I'm sure there are a few neighbourhoods with populations similar to Kalawoa that gave Stein 25%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies