Why the CA-Recall results are bad for Democrats. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:45:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why the CA-Recall results are bad for Democrats. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why the CA-Recall results are bad for Democrats.  (Read 3824 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« on: September 15, 2021, 05:05:08 AM »

It is pretty dumb and uninformed to say that election night results in CA are bad for Dems.

CA has lots of mail ballots that arrive and are counted after election day (as long as they are mailed on/before election day). In the past, those votes have typically skewed Democratic. To the extent that is the case this time around, then Dem performance may well improve significantly after all of the votes are actually counted.

So wait until the votes are counted to draw your conclusions.

Or have a pie to the face. Your choice.

OK, I guess you're going with the pie.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 06:26:23 AM »

It is pretty dumb and uninformed to say that election night results in CA are bad for Dems.

CA has lots of mail ballots that arrive and are counted after election day (as long as they are mailed on/before election day). In the past, those votes have typically skewed Democratic. To the extent that is the case this time around, then Dem performance may well improve significantly after all of the votes are actually counted.

So wait until the votes are counted to draw your conclusions.

Or have a pie to the face. Your choice.

OK, I guess you're going with the pie.

As you said, that was in the past.

Sure, it is possible it could be different this time around. That is exactly the point. That is the reason to not jump to conclusions. It is possible that SirWoodbury's point could be valid, if he waited a week or two to make it. But he just went ahead and made it anyway, without waiting to see what the actual results are.

So far the same is happening in the recall. I believe the earliest results (when mail-ins were all we had) had No getting over 70%. When I last looked at the NBC results, they had No up 67-33 with ~60% in and now it's 64-36 with ~70% of (estimated) votes counted.

I didn't watch the results when they came in, so I will assume your observation about the trend is correct. Even assuming that, however, it doesn't mean that late breaking ballots won't skew more Dem. In the past, the reason for late breaking ballots skewing more Dem is that they tended to be from younger and more sporadic voters. It is plausible that the first mail ballots could have skewed more R, because those were disproportionately from engaged/angry Republicans who were eager to vote (and who were showing up in the earlier polls which had it closer). Whereas later ballots may be cast by voters who engaged later and were not super-invested in the recall.

Again, I am not saying this is necessarily true. Just that it may well be. And so we should wait to see the actual results before jumping to premature conclusions.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 10:11:12 AM »

Newsom is emboldened by his victory in the recall, and I'm sure he now believes that he has a mandate from the electorate, even more so than what he possessed before. California voters will now have to deal with the consequences; they have no grounds to complain about Newsom in the future.

Can someone explain to me what exactly is supposedly so uniquely bad about Newsom? What has he done that is so horrible, compared to other governors? I am sure he is not absolutely perfect in every possible way, but nobody is going to be that. So what exactly is this huge knock on him that allegedly makes him worse than your average governor to the extent that he allegedly ought to be gotten rid of mid-term?
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 01:25:46 PM »

I don't really think there's going to be a red wave in 2022. We live in such polarized times, and the Dem electorate has become much more educated and therefore likely to turn out since 2010 and 2014. That said, 2022 doesn't have to be a wave for it to be a bad year for Democrats, and Republicans are still heavily favored in the House and slightly favored in the Senate.

I think Rs will make some gains, but I am inclined to agree that polarization will limit things so that it can't be really called a true "wave" and would even say that 2010 and 2014 results somewhat support the idea that R gains will be limited.

The bulk of the Republican gains in 2010 and 2014 came in heavily Republican seats in rural areas, especially in the rural south, that voted heavily for McCain and then Romney, and which were still held by Conservadem remnants from a bygone era. But currently, Dems hold very few of those sorts of seats in the house and also the Senate. With a handful of exceptions (Joe Manchin for example), Dems are basically all in seats that voted for Biden or at minimum were competitive, and not in areas with any real strong Republican trend. Even in 2010 and 2014, Dems held on comparatively much better in Dem areas and Dem trending areas as compared to those heavily GOP areas.

While suburbs may well trend back somewhat, it now appears unlikely that they will fully flip back to the GOP. With Republicans continuing to embrace ridiculous conspiracy theories and behave in a manner that alienates anyone with a college education, things are not going back to how they used to be pre-Trump. I would expect at least some suburban losses, but not a massacre in those Dem trending anti-Trump suburban areas where Dems picked up seats.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies