Are Intra-State Redistricting Deals a thing ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:12:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are Intra-State Redistricting Deals a thing ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are Intra-State Redistricting Deals a thing ?  (Read 647 times)
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2021, 08:35:26 PM »

There's been some mostly joking speculation that the Indiana incumbent protection map was made in exchange for a deal with some other state like Maryland to prevent them from drawing out a republican incumbnet.

Have any such deals between states to protect congression seats happend in the past ?
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 12:08:22 AM »

No. That's ridiculous.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 12:11:57 AM »

No. Certainly that proposed deal wouldn't make sense, since the Maryland Supreme Court is conservative-controlled and could force a fair map on the state. It would verge on impossible to enforce.

(What has been a thing in the past is incumbent protection deals within states; sometimes different houses of the legislature are controlled by different parties, and both parties get to redistrict "their" house to their liking. NY did this in 1980/1990/2000/2010, for instance. But there are no inter-state deals.)
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 10:07:44 AM »

Explicitly?  No way.

Implicitly?  We seem to be in a new equilibrium with a lot more public pressure for clean, polite looking maps. 
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 04:43:16 PM »

Not a bad idea, honestly.  Would like to see a stand down.  NY doesn't gerrymander for TX, etc.  GOP would never agree to this because they need gerrymandering more than Dems do though.
Epaminondas

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 09:52:52 PM »

Intra-state deals? That's the definition of legislating.

Inter-state, which is probably what you meant? Unlikely. Do legislators across state borders even meet?
swf541

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 11:38:02 PM »

Prob not
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 08:25:53 PM »

Yet to see any evidence of these actually being a thing.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 03:43:21 PM »

Not a bad idea, honestly.  Would like to see a stand down.  NY doesn't gerrymander for TX, etc.  GOP would never agree to this because they need gerrymandering more than Dems do though.

And, quite frankly, TX is a much bigger gerrymandering opportunity compared to NY. I can see the GOP drawing out people like Al Green and Lizzie Fletcher, and maybe even one (or two) of the 3 South-Texas-Democrats-from-districts-Trump-nearly-won if they put their mind to it, and they can redden up the suburban competitive districts (like the 24th, which broke for Biden - they could shore up Beth van Duyne). In NY, I don't see much of an opportunity beyond getting rid of Malliotakis and maybe Tenney or Katko (though Katko seems to have enough crossover support that barring any significant changes to his district he should win, and Tenney will probably be able to win as an incumbent in a red wave year in what will probably still need to be a reddish district).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2021, 03:52:24 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2021, 04:24:11 PM by Torie »

I fantasize about such non aggression pacts yes, where say the governors of say KY, TN and IN, call the gov of NY and say, if you do that map we saw, these three guys will be tossed to the wolves. Alas my fantasies are not co-extensive with "a thing."  Cry
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2021, 04:05:01 PM »

I fantasize about such non aggression pacts yes, where say the governors of say KY, TN and IN, call the gov of NY and say, if you do that map we say, these three guys will be tossed to the wolves. Alas my fantasies are not co-extensive with "a thing."  Cry

The Governor of Kentucky is a Democrat
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2021, 04:23:45 PM »

I fantasize about such non aggression pacts yes, where say the governors of say KY, TN and IN, call the gov of NY and say, if you do that map we say, these three guys will be tossed to the wolves. Alas my fantasies are not co-extensive with "a thing."  Cry

Yeah, whatever. The fantasy is the thing, and the narrative, not reality. I don't think the governor has a veto there by the way.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2021, 07:10:26 PM »

Yeah, whatever. The fantasy is the thing, and the narrative, not reality. I don't think the governor has a veto there by the way.

He doesn't, but he does have some state supreme court rulings from last decade about minimizing county splits on his side.  The one remaining Dem district can fit entirely within one county and is guaranteed to be a Biden district if it continues to be.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2021, 07:45:50 PM »

He doesn't, but he does have some state supreme court rulings from last decade about minimizing county splits on his side.  The one remaining Dem district can fit entirely within one county and is guaranteed to be a Biden district if it continues to be.

Jefferson County is way too big to be a one single congressional district.

That's his point. They can easily continue the current arrangement, where KY-03 is contained entirely within Jefferson County, but not all of Jefferson County is in KY-03.
Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2021, 07:46:33 PM »

Jefferson County is way too big to be a one single congressional district.

That's his point. They can easily continue the current arrangement, where KY-03 is contained entirely within Jefferson County, but not all of Jefferson County is in KY-03.

Ah, ok that makes sense.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2021, 09:11:54 AM »

the gop have a super majority in both houses too
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies