Widower of 9/11 female police officer slams "anti-police" politicians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 01:51:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Widower of 9/11 female police officer slams "anti-police" politicians
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Widower of 9/11 female police officer slams "anti-police" politicians  (Read 789 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2021, 01:03:20 PM »

Politicians who’ve called to defund the police have no business hugging heroes on Sept. 11, declared the husband of Moira Smith — the only female NYPD officer killed in the terrorist attack.

James “Jim” Smith, 60, said he fully expected to see “anti-police” politicians clamoring for photos on the 20th anniversary of the tragedy Saturday “with their arms around heroes and trying to bask in the reflected glory of what my wife and other officers did.”

“By September 12, they’ll be back to defunding the police. I’ve no intention of being anywhere near it,” he told The US Sun in an interview.

James and Moira Smith both worked at the 13th Precinct, and shared daughter Patricia, who was just two-years-old when her mom perished in the collapse of the South Tower, one of 60 NYPD and Port Authority officers killed that day.

“We made a promise to never forget and we’ve clearly forgotten with the way police officers are treated today in this country, both by the public and the politicians,” James Smith told The Sun. “It’s disgusting. It didn’t take long to forget.”

https://nypost.com/2021/09/12/nypd-officer-moira-smiths-husband-jim-blasts-anti-police-pols/

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3639180/husband-9-11-cop-moira-smith-defund-police/
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 01:18:06 PM »

Peak Bronz lol
CEO Mindset
penttilinkolafan
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 01:24:22 PM »

absolutely insane. the police are the ones protecting the journalists/politicians whose behavior caused 9/11
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 03:17:57 PM »

absolutely insane. the police are the ones protecting the journalists/politicians whose behavior caused 9/11

Bro what drugs are you on?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2021, 03:25:11 PM »

Where's the outrage over the man who incited his supporters into murdering law enforcement using them for a photo op?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2021, 06:10:57 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2021, 06:02:27 PM by Progressive Pessimist »

Surely he means the Republicans, right? Who led to the deaths of four Capitol officers and maimed several more within inches of their life? And that's in addition to trying to obfuscate those events and voting against giving the surviving Capitol officers accolades for their heroism in combating terrorism?

Or do Capitol police officers just not count?

This is yet another example of a right winger who I have sympathy for that is quickly negated by their crackpot hackishness in how they are expressing their grief.
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 09:37:16 PM »

All of this is derailing the topic.  Since people feel free to report any post of mine as "whataboutism", I'll call out the people who live in glass houses here.

Is this widower not correct in his outrage, irregardless of all the rest?  What about his case and his case alone?  Because if whataboutism is allowed to stand here, I'd like someone to ask me why "What about BLM and Antifa?" is out of line when bad behavior from some right wing group is magnified and enlarged beyond what it really is?

As for the Capitol Police:  Real Police have their names made public promptly when they are involved in a shooting.  It's time for the transparency required of ordinary policy to apply to the Capitol Police.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 09:49:50 PM »

All of this is derailing the topic.  Since people feel free to report any post of mine as "whataboutism", I'll call out the people who live in glass houses here.

Is this widower not correct in his outrage, irregardless of all the rest?  What about his case and his case alone?  Because if whataboutism is allowed to stand here, I'd like someone to ask me why "What about BLM and Antifa?" is out of line when bad behavior from some right wing group is magnified and enlarged beyond what it really is?

As for the Capitol Police:  Real Police have their names made public promptly when they are involved in a shooting.  It's time for the transparency required of ordinary policy to apply to the Capitol Police.

I'm not arguing this specific point, but you seem to hold the Capitol Police to a much higher, and different standard, than what you hold other law enforcement officers to. Is it because of what the Capitol Police stopped on January 6? Are they not deserving of the same understanding that you grant to other law enforcement?
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2021, 10:11:33 PM »

What does 9/11 have to do with addressing a lack of police accountability?
Fuzzy Bear Loves Christian Missionaries
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 06:35:08 AM »

I'm not arguing this specific point, but you seem to hold the Capitol Police to a much higher, and different standard, than what you hold other law enforcement officers to. Is it because of what the Capitol Police stopped on January 6? Are they not deserving of the same understanding that you grant to other law enforcement?

The Capitol Police are, on fact, held to LOWER standards in a number of ways, including physical fitness.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 06:47:56 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2021, 11:16:46 AM by Brittain33 »

Is this widower not correct in his outrage, irregardless of all the rest?

No, he's not, because virtually no Democratic politicians (and none of the leaders at the 9/11 comemoration) support defunding the police. Not Biden, not Hillary Clinton, and for God's sake, certainly not Eric Adams. It's a fringe view endorsed by few. Democratic leaders recognize defunding the police is an unpopular view and a little Googling will show you where they stand.

Meanwhile, Republicans have repeatedly voted to defund the police and averted their eyes to the brutal assault on and murder of Capitol Police during their insurrection.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 07:20:00 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2021, 09:22:19 AM by Hindsight was 2020 »

All of this is derailing the topic.  Since people feel free to report any post of mine as "whataboutism", I'll call out the people who live in glass houses here.

Is this widower not correct in his outrage, irregardless of all the rest?  What about his case and his case alone?  Because if whataboutism is allowed to stand here, I'd like someone to ask me why "What about BLM and Antifa?" is out of line when bad behavior from some right wing group is magnified and enlarged beyond what it really is?

As for the Capitol Police:  Real Police have their names made public promptly when they are involved in a shooting.  It's time for the transparency required of ordinary policy to apply to the Capitol Police.

The Capitol Police are, on fact, held to LOWER standards in a number of ways, including physical fitness.
What Calthrina is getting at Fuzzy is that like most RWers you have made a transparently hypocritical 180 on a case involving a unarmed person being killed by a cop just because the person killed in is a white Trumper. With the ironic fact that in the immediate aftermath everyone knew the facts of what happened and that this cop (unlike a lot of the cops involved in the cases that BLM cite) did their job in right manner
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 10:03:43 AM »

"Oh you support police reform? Well have you considered that this guy's wife died in a tragedy? Checkmate liberals."
NotSoLucky
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.74, S: -8.43

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 05:02:14 PM »

"Oh you support police reform? Well have you considered that this guy's wife died in a tragedy? Checkmate liberals."
I ing HATE the police lobby so much. Even the tiniest reforms are fought tooth and nail by the police unions, and they smear anyone who even mildly criticizes the police as "anti police extremists". And they seem to have an iron grip on both parties, as well as some level of control over public opinion as well :/

I'm sorry that this woman's husband died, but what does that have anything to do with "anti police" politicians???  If anything, she's just further evidence that most cops have a MASSIVE victim/perfection complex. The police officer is ALWAYS considered the victim, even if he executes a unarmed civilian in broad daylight.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 05:40:08 PM »

Ann Coulter was right about widows enjoying the death of their husbands.
Asta

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 06:00:55 PM »

“We made a promise to never forget and we’ve clearly forgotten with the way police officers are treated today in this country, both by the public and the politicians,”

You mean the only profession that is excessively lionized and always protected with not-all-cops-are-bad excuses?

And even if anti-police public sentiment was true, it's not like there is anything terribly wrong with it.

Law enforcement has two to four times the domestic violence rate of the average person.
Maybe they should learn to respect their family first before serving the public. lol
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 06:03:41 PM »

Nobody is of value unless they can be used as a prop for the political movement.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 06:05:46 PM »

Nobody is of value unless they can be used as a prop for the political movement.

Unfortunately, this is true. Fuzzy Bear seems to be upset with the Capitol Police because they resisted the January 6th rioters and because one particular police officer shot and killed that woman who was threatening the lives of members of Congress and their staffers. What if the police officer had shot and killed a BLM or Antifa activist? Would Fuzzy Bear still be condemning their actions? I highly doubt it.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2021, 07:01:03 PM »

Unfortunately, this is true. Fuzzy Bear seems to be upset with the Capitol Police because they resisted the January 6th rioters and because one particular police officer shot and killed that woman who was threatening the lives of members of Congress and their staffers. What if the police officer had shot and killed a BLM or Antifa activist? Would Fuzzy Bear still be condemning their actions? I highly doubt it.

Part of me feels a bit classless for being this cynical, but I've seen so many people completely toss aside all of their supposedly deeply-held principles the second it's convenient. Some people on Atlas are willing to admit it outright, which I suppose is refreshing in its own way, but this sudden distinction between the Capitol Police (who are bad) and police elsewhere (who are still good) is so transparent that I can't imagine anyone would fall for it.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2021, 07:11:03 PM »

Part of me feels a bit classless for being this cynical, but I've seen so many people completely toss aside all of their supposedly deeply-held principles the second it's convenient. Some people on Atlas are willing to admit it outright, which I suppose is refreshing in its own way, but this sudden distinction between the Capitol Police (who are bad) and police elsewhere (who are still good) is so transparent that I can't imagine anyone would fall for it.

I've been frustrated by this as well. Fuzzy Bear, in particular, has been adamant about how BLM and Antifa are threats to the public order, and he's made his points again and again over the past year. Simultaneously, he does not seem to take seriously the dangers of domestic terrorism. And Fuzzy Bear has been adamant in denouncing Biden as one of the worst Presidents we've had, but continues to hold Trump up as a model.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2021, 07:29:02 PM »

I've been frustrated by this as well. Fuzzy Bear, in particular, has been adamant about how BLM and Antifa are threats to the public order, and he's made his points again and again over the past year. Simultaneously, he does not seem to take seriously the dangers of domestic terrorism. And Fuzzy Bear has been adamant in denouncing Biden as one of the worst Presidents we've had, but continues to hold Trump up as a model.

We tried to tell you from day 1 (of your Atlas registration) of the real Fuzzy.
Anyway, I'm glad you are finally seeing it yourself.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2021, 07:31:55 PM »

I'm over police dabbling in politics and acting as if their opinion matters more than everyone else.  I view police endorsements as a net negative for political candidates at this point.
NotSoLucky
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.74, S: -8.43

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2021, 08:00:55 PM »

They seem to hate the capitol police because they tried to stop the Trump riot from happening, even if it was half assed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is this widower not correct in his outrage, irregardless of all the rest?

No, he's not, because virtually no Democratic politicians (and none of the leaders at the 9/11 comemoration) support defunding the police. Not Biden, not Hillary Clinton, and for God's sake, certainly not Eric Adams. It's a fringe view endorsed by few. Democratic leaders recognize defunding the police is an unpopular view and a little Googling will show you where they stand.

Meanwhile, Republicans have repeatedly voted to defund the police and averted their eyes to the brutal assault on and murder of Capitol Police during their insurrection.

I WISH the democrats would actually defund the police, whom already have a bloated budget wasted on wannabe military equipment and other unnecessary crap that doesn't actually deter crime. Also, where are these anti police republicans at? The pro-police Dems keep complaining about the "anti police republicans" but I never see the Republicans complain about the police unless they're the capitol police. If anything, it's only selective outrage, as the republicans are otherwise some of the most ruthless cop apologists out there.

“We made a promise to never forget and we’ve clearly forgotten with the way police officers are treated today in this country, both by the public and the politicians,”

You mean the only profession that is excessively lionized and always protected with not-all-cops-are-bad excuses?

And even if anti-police public sentiment was true, it's not like there is anything terribly wrong with it.

Law enforcement has two to four times the domestic violence rate of the average person.
Maybe they should learn to respect their family first before serving the public. lol
And yet the police lobby continues to hold their iron grip on political discourse and public opinion. It's maddening how they continue getting away with Mafia or SS tactics, while the public turns a blind eye or blames it on "a few bad apples".

Never forget that the pig who murdered Daniel Shaver is still walking free.

Funny how you expect any sort of consistency from hardcore Trump loyalists.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies