In honor of 9/11, two Spider-Man scenes that always stood out to me as inspired by the tragedy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:35:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  In honor of 9/11, two Spider-Man scenes that always stood out to me as inspired by the tragedy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In honor of 9/11, two Spider-Man scenes that always stood out to me as inspired by the tragedy  (Read 336 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2021, 11:03:09 PM »

The first is the "You mess with one of us, you mess with all of us!" scene of ordinary New Yorkers helping save Spider-Man in the first movie. Apparently this wasn't added until after 9/11 and brought NYC audiences to their feet:

The second is the famous train scene from Spider-Man 2, when Spider-Man gives it his all and damn near dies saving a group of strangers. That group then collectively saves him in return and honors him by vowing to never reveal his identity. Then they stand in the way and try to protect him from Doc Ock. This always struck me as inspired by how ordinary civilians, in New York as well as on Flight 93, did their best to help first responders and come together in a time of crisis:

Might sound cheesy, but this stuff is damn near enough to move me to tears. Far, FAR better and more powerful IMO than anything in any superhero movie since. These scenes really capture the spirit of what superheroes are supposed to be and why they do what they do. It's not just a bunch of high budget, dimly lit CGI scenes of dour demigods punching each other through buildings (ahem, Zack Snyder). It captures the inspirational idea of superheroes as people doing their best to selflessly help civilians who repay them with gratitude and lift each other up just perfectly. And in the aftermath of 9/11 as when these films were made, it hit the spot amazingly well.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 12:52:13 AM »
« Edited: September 11, 2021, 01:18:43 AM by Freethinker Tom Rice »

God I love those movies to death. My childhood was beautiful.

These movies have more thematic value than nearly anything in the post 2008 MCU and DCEU combined, minus a few exceptions.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2021, 01:32:02 AM »

God I love those movies to death. My childhood was beautiful.

These movies have more thematic value than nearly anything in the post 2008 MCU and DCEU combined, minus a few exceptions.

I think what I like the best about these scenes, and these movies in general, is that they are full to the brim with pure HUMANITY. In a way most modern superhero movies just are not. Marvel is mostly just a bunch of flashy larger than life characters in zany situations making zany quips. They might "save" the world, but it's on a cosmic scale that's so abstract it's hard to relate to it on an individual level. The very idea of Spider-Man struggling to the point of exhaustion, his suit torn and his strength strained so much he needs the very people he's trying to save to save him? That would be too human and too honest and real for modern Marvel. His current fancy techno Iron Man Jr. suit wouldn't even allow for the possibility, and in the worst case scenario there would just be some shenanigans of magic or other superheroes miraculously appearing. There is no human relatability; we're just watching the gods duke it out on a cosmic scale like it's f--king Wagner or something. THIS Spider-Man, on the other hand, was infinitely more relatable and you actually felt invested and cared about his fate and relationships.

And as for the DCEU... The less said about it, the better. I don't know why Zack Snyder was apparently under some other impression, but the fact of the matter is that at the end of the day, you cannot possibly make men in tights dressed as bats/clowns/etc. punching each other NOT campy/ridiculous/unrealistic. Raimi's films understood that and so chose to lean into it and make the most of it for what it was rather than try hard to make it as edgy, grim, dark, and miserable as possible as Snyder's DC films did. I mean Man of Steel honestly feels like a goddamn SNL parody of superhero movies to me. SUPERMAN as some kind of bleak Randian reluctant hero who literally snaps a guy's neck at the end in front of children? A color palate that doesn't go any lighter than "light gray," maybe? LITERALLY giving him a black suit eventually??? You just can't make this s--t up. It goes 100% against everything the genre was ever supposed to be and makes a mockery of itself in the process.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 10:54:42 AM »

I watched these movies countless times as a kid  and yes these are absolutely great scenes that are definitely missing from today’s super hero movies
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies