Can Republicans make inroads in Prince George's County, Md.?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 09:01:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Can Republicans make inroads in Prince George's County, Md.?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Republicans make inroads in Prince George's County, Md.?  (Read 494 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 06, 2021, 04:43:15 PM »

The wealthiest Black majority county in America.

Wealthy Black people.

This should be a prime Republican voting bloc---tax cuts, plus most Black people are antiabortion and Christian/Muslim/religious

Former Maryland Lt. Gov. and RNC chair Michael Steele is from there; I am surprised that Gov. Larry Hogan didn't do well there against Ben Jealous in 2018, he only got 40% there, I am surprised he did not crack 45%....
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 04:47:13 PM »

Blacks of all income levels lean Democratic, with the arguable exception of the super-rich. And PG county's population is overwhelmingly black.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 06:58:57 PM »

Blacks of all income levels lean Democratic, with the arguable exception of the super-rich. And PG county's population is overwhelmingly black.

Even superrich Jay Z and Beyonce, they "benefit" from the Bush and Trump tax cuts, yet they support Democrats and BLM...

Someone like Boyd Rutherford could pull 45% of the vote there
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 07:54:45 PM »

It was Biden's second strongest county in the nation, has given no Republican more than 30% of the vote since 1988, and only 6.6% of the county's population is registered Republican. I would say the answer to your question is a big, unwavering NO.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 08:01:58 PM »

It was Biden's second strongest county in the nation, has given no Republican more than 30% of the vote since 1988, and only 6.6% of the county's population is registered Republican. I would say the answer to your question is a big, unwavering NO.
The GOP has sank so low here I could see them make inroads relative to now, due to how low they are by this point, but even that does not look likely in the near future.
ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 08:11:53 PM »

Yes, I think this is inevitable to some extent- but they're starting from a very very low floor.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 08:39:13 PM »

Why aren't the rich Black people in PG County like their white counterparts in Harford County and Morris County, NJ and Nassau County, NY?

Rich Black people benefit from tax cuts, lower regulation, etc.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 08:54:58 PM »

I think Dems are pretty maxed out in the county, but it's still a highly educated suburban county that has heavy ties to DC; not exactly the type of county the GOP has been making gains in in recent cycles.

GOP might get a dead cat bounce, but to make ACTUAL GAINS, it won't just come naturally.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 11:09:47 PM »

The GOP is far more likely to make gains in South LA or West Detroit. PG county is very highly educated. Some heavily Black neighborhoods even swung left last year. Same in upper middle class parts of DeKalb county, Baldwin Hills, Olympia's Fields etc
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 11:37:19 PM »

The bigger question is why would they want to?  They're not going to win some local election or legislative district there.  And they're not going to win statewide elections other than flukes like Larry Hogan, where it's basically just a democrat who supports tax cuts.  So why bother trying to go from 8% to 12%?  If it was in some politically important state like Michigan then there would be a rationale.

I suppose they could get their numbers up slightly as DC home prices continue to rise and white/asian/hispanic Millennials move into areas like PG.  Most of those Millennials will be democrats but maybe they don't vote at 90-10 margins. 
Builder Refused
Rookie
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 03:05:31 AM »

Lol no, Prince George’s county is chill as hell, literally cooler than DC. Is there upscaling in like National Harbor, or Largo? I don’t really think so, that seems more like a Montgomery County thing. I mean who really are the inner city swing voters (taking into account they sometimes don’t actually exist, turnout is a thing). I legit don’t know any Clinton Trump voters or Trump Biden voters, tho I know a Trump to Independent voter who’s black.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 01:21:03 PM »

Being the wealthiest black-majority county in America doesn't mean there are a ton of wealthy blacks there, even if there might be more than other areas. It's a diverse county through and through, but the black areas are still disproportionately poor while the white areas are still disproportionately wealthy, and each area votes accordingly.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2021, 02:20:15 PM »

Being the wealthiest black-majority county in America doesn't mean there are a ton of wealthy blacks there, even if there might be more than other areas. It's a diverse county through and through, but the black areas are still disproportionately poor while the white areas are still disproportionately wealthy, and each area votes accordingly.

This is entirely accurate.  Plus, people here seem to have the wrong idea of PG.  In the DMV people consider PG to be a less desirable neighborhood and not all that wealthy.  It's wealthy in terms of income level compared to most parts of the country but considering the very high cost of living in DC it's not very wealthy at all.  It's probably the least expensive areas in the core DC region.  I am actually kind of surprised it hasn't been gentrified more at this point as you can commute to DC pretty quickly.   
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 02:09:49 AM »

You're missing the point.  Sure, PG isn't anywhere near as desirable as MoCo, Loudoun or NWDC and the Black people who live there are still relatively poor compared to the entire DMV area, but PG is unique in how certain towns/communities there have long been home to mostly college-educated, high-earning Black families.  Kettering, Fort Washington and  Mitchellville each fit this mold, for example.  The only other place in the country that is a comparable bastion of the "Black middle class" are certain parts of Metro Atlanta. 

That being said, for this exact reason it is unlikely that the GOP would start making significant gains among this type of Black voters.  If anything, they'd probably even trend marginally to the left thanks to further partisan sorting based on educational attainment.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2021, 09:43:14 AM »

You're missing the point.  Sure, PG isn't anywhere near as desirable as MoCo, Loudoun or NWDC and the Black people who live there are still relatively poor compared to the entire DMV area, but PG is unique in how certain towns/communities there have long been home to mostly college-educated, high-earning Black families.  Kettering, Fort Washington and  Mitchellville each fit this mold, for example.  The only other place in the country that is a comparable bastion of the "Black middle class" are certain parts of Metro Atlanta. 

That being said, for this exact reason it is unlikely that the GOP would start making significant gains among this type of Black voters.  If anything, they'd probably even trend marginally to the left thanks to further partisan sorting based on educational attainment.
Would it be fair to say PG County has AA old money?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies