Opinion of Confucianism
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:58:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of Confucianism
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Freedom philosophy

Horrible philosophy

Neither/Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: Opinion of Confucianism  (Read 550 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 05, 2021, 12:39:11 AM »

Historically, it was one of the most oppressive religions at the time, particularly for Chinese women who were expected to follow the men in her family; the father before marriage, the husband after she married, and her sons in widowhood. Widows were expected to be chaste and remarriage was discouraged. As Confucianism became mainstream, women were treated as second-class citizens.

It is not a monotheistic religion, and more modern Confucianism has allowed room for feminism, but despite Gore Vidal's protests against monotheism I do not believe that Confucianism is inherently more egalitarian than Judaism, Christianity, and Islam.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 04:11:50 PM »

Confucius said a lot of good things, and it seems like he was a fairly nice, humane guy for his time.  But historically, yeah, what has been called  “Confucianism” has tended be a rather hierarchical, patriarchal, non-egalitarian value system.  People tend to identify it as the basis for East Asian cultures’ emphasis on hierarchy, though I doubt it’s the only factor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 04:34:57 PM »

Like any religious tradition it has a tendency to be coopted by the forces of reaction, but I think the core ideas are very sound, and very appealing to me at least.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 07:42:52 PM »

Mixed/neutral. It's good that it tries to make a society function without government/laws/force, instead solely by education, traditions, customs, values, culture. But still very hierarchical.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies