Who are Biden/Senate GOP voters?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:34:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Who are Biden/Senate GOP voters?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who are Biden/Senate GOP voters?  (Read 597 times)
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2021, 11:32:50 AM »

In Texas, many voters selected Biden for President, and then Cornyn for Senate along with Biden and Gardner in Colorado, etc. What makes someone want to vote like this, especially when these voters are soc libs?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 11:37:09 AM »

Gun-owners who live in Maine.
John Forbes Kerrygold 🧈
ObamasWaffle
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 11:37:50 AM »

Probably people who are usually Republican voters just tired of hearing Trump run his mouth. They voted for Biden to get rid of Trump and Republicans down ballot to hold him accountable.
Telesquare
Gyroburrito
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 12:19:46 PM »

The big one I didn’t understand was Mark Ronchetti outperforming Trump by so much.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 01:11:30 PM »

Probably people who are usually Republican voters just tired of hearing Trump run his mouth. They voted for Biden to get rid of Trump and Republicans down ballot to hold him accountable.

Are there any areas where Republican voters could be considered centrist or liberal as a collective?
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 01:30:25 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2021, 01:35:53 PM by Canis »

Are there any areas where Republican voters could be considered centrist or liberal as a collective?
No, but id argue some state parties are more moderate than others, especially in New England Bill Weld, got around 10% in VT MA and NH, and Phil Scott and Charlie Baker 2 republican governors who refused to endorse Trump survived primary challenges. Overall the state party is still conservative but there is definitely a larger than average Moderate - Centerleft voting bloc in the state's party. Just like how in WV KY and OK theirs a significant voting bloc of conservative to moderate democrats. A lot of them are dying or switching parties but compared to other state democratic parties they have a larger amount of conservative to moderate voters.

As for the Biden/Senate GOP voters they existed in many states as Biden outran most Democratic Senate candidates. Their reason for voting that way probably differed from state to state like in ME most of them were just Mainers who like Susan Collins but dislike Trump. In other states, they were probably white upper middle class to rich voters who were once solid GOP voters but had been turned off by Trump and wanted to vote him out of office but keep him in check with a republican congress.

Trump/Congressional D voters existed as well there were just fewer of em but they did it for similar reasons. either they hated Biden and liked Trump but wanted him in check with a democratic congress or they just liked trump and liked their congressional Democratic candidates more then their congressional Republican candidates. My brother voted for Trump and then straight D downballot. 
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 07:24:12 PM »

I'd expect these voters to be disproportionately college-educated whites. Has an analysis been done showing whether areas with higher college-educated white populations had higher levels of down-ballot Republican overperformance?
Joe McCarthy Was Right
Rookie
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 08:16:32 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2021, 08:26:00 PM by Joe McCarthy Was Right »

You can tell Cornyn did better than Trump in precincts that were high in wealthy/bachelor degree+ voters, except for the rural ones like Borden County.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 08:59:21 PM »

You can tell Cornyn did better than Trump in precincts that were high in wealthy/bachelor degree+ voters, except for the rural ones like Borden County.

Oh my God, the reason I ask this is because of the city I live in. I live in West University Place, near Houston. It was D+15% for President, D+2% for US House and R+2% for US Senate. The average income is like $300K and 90% of adults have a bachelors degree at least.
perpetual_cynic
erwint.2021
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 09:04:28 PM »

No, but id argue some state parties are more moderate than others, especially in New England Bill Weld, got around 10% in VT MA and NH, and Phil Scott and Charlie Baker 2 republican governors who refused to endorse Trump survived primary challenges. Overall the state party is still conservative but there is definitely a larger than average Moderate - Centerleft voting bloc in the state's party. Just like how in WV KY and OK theirs a significant voting bloc of conservative to moderate democrats. A lot of them are dying or switching parties but compared to other state democratic parties they have a larger amount of conservative to moderate voters.

As for the Biden/Senate GOP voters they existed in many states as Biden outran most Democratic Senate candidates. Their reason for voting that way probably differed from state to state like in ME most of them were just Mainers who like Susan Collins but dislike Trump. In other states, they were probably white upper middle class to rich voters who were once solid GOP voters but had been turned off by Trump and wanted to vote him out of office but keep him in check with a republican congress.

Trump/Congressional D voters existed as well there were just fewer of em but they did it for similar reasons. either they hated Biden and liked Trump but wanted him in check with a democratic congress or they just liked trump and liked their congressional Democratic candidates more then their congressional Republican candidates. My brother voted for Trump and then straight D downballot. 

Well, the reason I ask this is because the GOP voters in my area are quite soc lib. The city West Univ. Place, TX voted D+15% President, D+2% Congress, and R+2% for Senate. The city has a median household income of like $300K and is extremely highly educated. I took a look at the ballot measures and the city voted against a ban on gay marriage in 2005, whilst voting R+15% in 2008, and R+30% in 2012. There was also a ballot proposition in the TX GOP primary in 2018, which read "I believe abortion should be abolished." It passed in the state Republican primary with like 64% and failed in this city (GOP primary) with like 36-64%. Another example I've seen of this is Greenwood Village and Cherry Hills Village. CHV voted for Gardner for Senate in CO, and then voted against a ban on 3rd trimester abortions like 2-1.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 09:32:04 PM »

The big one I didn’t understand was Mark Ronchetti outperforming Trump by so much.

People like their weatherman
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 08:35:22 AM »

As I've noted before, Ronchetti did better than several of the Democratic candidates in supposedly competitive races, including Gross, Bullock, Greenfield, Hegar, Bollier, Harrison, and Gideon.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 10:15:10 AM »

I'd imagine they tend to skew wealthier.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2021, 07:22:34 PM »

I would've gone with Lujan running as a useless moderate, DLC, Third Way hack instead of something inspiring...but okay.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies