Opinion of Mohammed
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 06:51:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Mohammed
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of Mohammed?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Opinion of Mohammed  (Read 1256 times)
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2021, 09:06:26 PM »

Founder of the Moslem religion. What is your opinion on this controversial figure?
Houstonian Sock
Big Tex
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2021, 10:44:35 PM »

Pedophile
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 10:48:31 PM »
« Edited: August 29, 2021, 10:53:49 PM by wants to resurrect the bull moose party »

Kinda obvious how I'll vote...

But to clarify Rasulullah (S) didn't "found" Islam, he merely was the final messenger of Islam.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 11:49:01 PM »

One of the first Bourgeois revolutionary, and a perfect example of why they are overrated.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 01:44:32 AM »

Buddha fake after him, in 1200 AD, and Martin Luther reformed the Catholic Church and Henry VIII changed England to Protestant because he couldn't divorce so every religion sevularizunf the Catholic church was a Good thing
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 10:17:45 AM »

Massive HP
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2021, 01:41:06 PM »

Well I might as well give better context in this thread.

Muhammad and his companions represented the comparatively revolutionary interests of the smaller traders in a time of great social change in the Arabian peninsula. The movement to the urban areas in such places such as Medina, along with clashes between rich renters of Medina and the smaller merchant class. The latter was relatively economically #populist and socially centre-right, wanting better deals from tribal codes and less trade restrictions to make a living while being against the degeneracy, mostly perceived, of the cities.

Muhammad was indeed a cult leader, operating through his acolytes on account of maintaining his mystique and his shyness, and having a tight grip on his followers. Through utilizing violence in his class collaborative goals, he failed to create a stable succession, with his companions pressuring Ali to step down and with their being infighting soon after.

Saying this, the poll should be much less one-sided than this. Muhammad did codify better laws for women, even with killing more radical feminists, and built a proper welfare state. He did envision a society with far less minimal slaves than 600 AD Arabia, and *most* of his enemies and adversaries were worse than him. Slavery in Byzantine Syria, Palestine, and the caste system in Persia were greatly reduced.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2021, 01:47:44 PM »

Muhammad doesn't cut a particularly sympathetic figure for me, but I try to suspend judgment on founders of major religions I don't practice. I'm more than a little concerned about the current Afghanistan situation effecting a sort of "reset button" to the early 2000s when the crassest sort of anti-Muslim rhetoric was à la mode even among some left-liberals, and I want no part of that.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 02:00:32 PM »

I don't think the political compass is a particularly useful tool as applied to 600s Arabia
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 02:24:09 PM »

Not religious but I'm willing to show a little token respect to figures like Jesus and Buddha in public because at least there are no records of them marrying little girls and fighting wars of conquest. But screw Muhammad and draw pictures of him all you want.

Buddha fake after him, in 1200 AD, and Martin Luther reformed the Catholic Church and Henry VIII changed England to Protestant because he couldn't divorce so every religion sevularizunf the Catholic church was a Good thing

Olakawandi 4 Pope
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2021, 02:25:11 PM »

Saying this, the poll should be much less one-sided than this. Muhammad did codify better laws for women, even with killing more radical feminists, and built a proper welfare state. He did envision a society with far less minimal slaves than 600 AD Arabia

Bolded is a really low bar there man. Don't want to hear any Founding Fathers bashing if you're going to make excuses for him like this.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 02:33:11 PM »

Saying this, the poll should be much less one-sided than this. Muhammad did codify better laws for women, even with killing more radical feminists, and built a proper welfare state. He did envision a society with far less minimal slaves than 600 AD Arabia

Bolded is a really low bar there man. Don't want to hear any Founding Fathers bashing if you're going to make excuses for him like this.
I took note of that here
One of the first Bourgeois revolutionary, and a perfect example of why they are overrated.

Furthermore, it is correct to say that Muhammad was better for the working class and freed more people than the tax revolters of 1776. A lot more slaves and were freed after taking control of Arabia if they converted to Islam (originally) than took in war.

Also lol, Jesus’s Posse terrorized the Roman Empire for nearly 300 years and the resultant conflicts killed hundreds of thousands of civilians. The Buddha, being a hippie, was more of a loser.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2021, 02:37:44 PM »

Muhammad (pbuh) was a major leader of an egalitarian revolution in Arab society and liberated its women from some very unfortunate cultural practices. Titanium FF.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2021, 02:48:19 PM »

Also lol, Jesus’s Posse terrorized the Roman Empire for nearly 300 years and the resultant conflicts killed hundreds of thousands of civilians. The Buddha, being a hippie, was more of a loser.

Violence has been committed in the name of every religion, that's not the distinction I was making. The closest thing to an act of violence attributed to Jesus is flipping some tables when he got mad. Muhhamad was a warrior who conquered other people groups. There is an argument to be made Jesus and Buddha deserve a modicum of respect even from non believers because they were peaceful religious philosophers. Muhammad was a killer and rapist.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2021, 03:05:35 PM »

The greatest man who ever walked the face of the Earth
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2021, 05:31:21 PM »

Violence has been committed in the name of every religion, that's not the distinction I was making. The closest thing to an act of violence attributed to Jesus is flipping some tables when he got mad. Muhhamad was a warrior who conquered other people groups. There is an argument to be made Jesus and Buddha deserve a modicum of respect even from non believers because they were peaceful religious philosophers. Muhammad was a killer and rapist.

Tbh I've sometimes wondered if the fact that islam seems to have more problems of violence and what nor can be traced to this.

If I had to guess whether a religion led by a random son of a carpenter in circa 33AD Jerusalem or one led by a military general in VIII century Arabia would be more violent and what not I'd bet on the latter.

I'd also add the fact that islam originally spread via conquest while Christians spent the first 300 years of their history prosecuted by the Roman Empire.

Anyways this is an obvious HP vote. I could maybe buy an apathetic FF vote considering him as a fairly generic general from the era but not an enthusiastic one. As a person and historical figure Mohammed does not seem to me any better than the likes of say, Genghis Khan or other such military figures?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2021, 10:56:22 PM »

It’s been documented by Roman historians of the many riots and disorders caused by Christianity. The religion itself, in all streams that counted, had the end goal of tearing down the current structure of the state.

Yes, Muhammad was a killer and rapist, but given the lopsided positive rating of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson, there clearly is a double standard at play. The significant other aspect is that the structural reforms in terms of class relations were undoubtedly needed, and most people killed in the name of Allah in established the first Caliphate deserved to die for being much, much worse. The introduction of Islam into Persia, for instance, ultimately was a step up from the caste system during the Abbasid Caliphate and onward. The transition of Roman Syria from a slave society to a feudal one was a major step up. The fall of the fractured tribal allegiances under one state was a step up in the Arabian peninsula.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2021, 06:21:29 AM »

One and only

Holy
Pedo
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 09:05:23 AM »

A DeSantis apologist who doesn't believe in blue waves and wants him to win. HP.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2021, 07:14:03 AM »

Muhammad and his companions represented the comparatively revolutionary interests of the smaller traders in a time of great social change in the Arabian peninsula. The movement to the urban areas in such places such as Medina, along with clashes between rich renters of Medina and the smaller merchant class. The latter was relatively economically #populist and socially centre-right, wanting better deals from tribal codes and less trade restrictions to make a living while being against the degeneracy, mostly perceived, of the cities.

Muhammad was indeed a cult leader, operating through his acolytes on account of maintaining his mystique and his shyness, and having a tight grip on his followers. Through utilizing violence in his class collaborative goals, he failed to create a stable succession, with his companions pressuring Ali to step down and with their being infighting soon after.

Saying this, the poll should be much less one-sided than this. Muhammad did codify better laws for women, even with killing more radical feminists, and built a proper welfare state. He did envision a society with far less minimal slaves than 600 AD Arabia, and *most* of his enemies and adversaries were worse than him. Slavery in Byzantine Syria, Palestine, and the caste system in Persia were greatly reduced.
Yeah. That is definitely not the figure they Salafi Jihadists try to emulate at all.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 07:06:00 PM »

Muhammad doesn't cut a particularly sympathetic figure for me, but I try to suspend judgment on founders of major religions I don't practice. I'm more than a little concerned about the current Afghanistan situation effecting a sort of "reset button" to the early 2000s when the crassest sort of anti-Muslim rhetoric was à la mode even among some left-liberals, and I want no part of that.

For what it's worth, I still think the predominant view of the Afghani people, right now, is as unfortunate supporters of America, who got unwillingly taken over by an extremist force. This has nothing to do with Mohammed himself, who I see as a HP in almost every regard.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2021, 11:59:14 PM »

A flawed figure who while by the standards of the time might have been a good person has had a sort of visage drawn around him making objective discussion and analysis impossible.

My votes goes HP.
THG
TheTarHeelGent
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2021, 12:24:22 AM »

HP and false prophet.

CHRIST IS THE SON OF GOD AND IS KING!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2021, 09:05:41 AM »

Usually Marxist historians aren’t quite this boring.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2021, 10:20:28 AM »

HP and false prophet.

CHRIST IS THE SON OF GOD AND IS KING!

Thank you BRTD
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to: