President Brooke?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:44:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  President Brooke?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: President Brooke?  (Read 1863 times)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2006, 11:23:56 AM »

What if Nixion choose Senator Ed Brooke instead of Ford for the Vice Presidency and like Ford Brooke go's on to succed the Presidency after Nixion's resgintion? So What happens?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 02:38:24 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2006, 03:20:42 PM by Winfield »

Hi Kevin.  This is an interesting scenario.

I wrote a rather lengthy scenario on this matter some time ago, called "America's Black President," although I can't find it in the history.

Basically, I had this story:

I had Nixon pick Brooke for Vice President after the resignation of Agnew.  Nixon had the idea he could expand his base from mainly conservatives to include moderates and liberals as well if he chose Brooke.  Brooke wins approval from Congress.  Of course, Nixon is forced to resign from office and Brooke becomes President.

President Brooke and his Chief of Staff, Elliot Richardson, after reviewing a lengthy list of names of potential Vice Presidential nominees, try to persuade California Governor Ronald Reagan to become the new Vice President.  After lengthy discussions, Reagan politely turns down the offer.  Brooke then decides on Senator Howard Baker of Tennessee for Vice President.  Baker accepts, and Brooke nominates Baker.  Baker wins quick, almost unanimous approval from Congress and joins the administration as Vice President. 

In the 1976 election, the Democrats nominate Senator Henry "Scoop" Jackson of Washington for President and fromer Governor and recently elected Senator from Arkansas, Dale Bumpers for Vice President.

Reagan does not run against Brooke for the Republican nomination, and President Brooke and Vice President Baker are nominated unanimously for the Republican nominations.

In the election, I concluded that America was not ready in 1976 for a black President, and the nation elects Senator Jackson and Senator Bumpers over President Brooke and Vice President Baker, in a tough, though respectful, campaign.         
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 07:43:34 PM »

It is possible that Brooke could have won. The reason for this was he distanced himself from Nixion during Nixion's Presidency. 
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 09:03:29 PM »

Either Carter or Scoop Jackson would have beaten Brooke comfortably.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 10:27:27 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2006, 10:51:21 AM by Kevin »

Either Carter or Scoop Jackson would have beaten Brooke comfortably.
I agree with you on Scoop Jackson, However Brooke could have beaten Carter who was only a one term governor who could easily be painted as medicore. Also I think Brooke would have cut into Carter's share of the Black vote which would have given Brooke close states like PA and OH and if he had selected someone like Baker or Reagan as a VP I could see Brooke carrying some states in the South.             
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 10:33:03 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2006, 10:35:20 PM by Kevin »

Brooke/Baker-300

Carter/Mondale-238
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length